Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do?

They are identical in color and miles (27k miles).

2013 is 10K more than 2011. 37 vs 27

Is the 2013 worth 10k for the features and extra two years of warranty?

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I was looking for a Adv model because the MDX was going to be my main travel vehicle. I usually put +20,000 miles a year and I wanted something with more luxury/tech/safety features. I've use the adv features like ACC, CBMS, BSI, Magnetic struts/shocks, auto adjust headlights, seat belt pre-tensioners and 3 setting heated/cooled seats. The Adv model also gets larger front/rear stabilizer bars and the magnetic struts/shocks aid in braking to keep the X level. The added safety feature do get used when I'm in other states and I'm not familiar with local road conditions and driving habits.

It is so less stressful driving on the hwy not having to fiddle with the cruise control every few minutes; the ACC maintains/slows/brakes/speeds up automatically once you set your speed and vehicle distance. The BSI is a very good double-check when changing lanes; especially, if you are loaded down with people and/or cargo and the view is limited looking over your shoulder. I've had the CMBS kick in a few times faster than I could have reacted and it at least saved me from having to slam my brakes. I use the cooled seats about 8 months straight living in the southwest.

As good as the extra tech is on the hwy, I get little to no use in my home town as a commuter vehicle because I'm familiar with the local driving habits. I would have been 95% fine with a tech model if my MDX was just an around town car like my TSX and RDX (I would miss the cooled seats a lot).

I knew this coming in; but, mpgs is not the best for the MDX. She REALLY hates 100% city driving. I usually see around 13-15 mpgs in 100% city driving. I will also see around 18-19 mpgs on the hwy. I set the cruise to 75-85 mph and usually loaded down and have a torpedo on the roof. If you take it easy and stay in 6th gear, you can get up to 21-24 mpg from her. The price difference of the 11 model will pay for all your gas for the next 7-10 years.

Another downside is I already had to replace my front magnetic struts at 35,000 miles. I was lucky to have the basic warranty to cover the fix 100%. It scared me enough to get an extended Acura Care warranty for $2390 for another 5/120,000 just in-case it happens again (added expense over the tech model).

Because of the price of the 13 Adv, you are also getting into the +14 used MDX tech price range. You might find a 14 tech with or without sh-awd, longer warranty period, less mileage, and maybe an extra 5-10 mpg better for around the same price. I didn't go this route because the 14 just came out and the 14 MDX tech I would go with was still +$48,000 compared to $34,000 for my 11 MDX Adv/Ent with 27,000 miles. You can compare apples to apples a little better with the 07-13 vs the +14 now since their are some used ones around the same price.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I agree with mrgold. My 11 Advance mpg is comparable to his (worse than the 01 & 05 that I had). I would look at the 14 Tech. Instead of later year of 2nd gen you would have 3rd gen MDX, plus much better gas mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Personally, I'd save the $10k (plus tax) and get the 2011 Tech. That cash goes towards lots of gas and possible out-of-warranty repairs.

But I am biased, I did just by a 2011 Tech :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with mrgold. My 11 Advance mpg is comparable to his (worse than the 01 & 05 that I had). I would look at the 14 Tech. Instead of later year of 2nd gen you would have 3rd gen MDX, plus much better gas mileage.
I agree, I would either stick with the '11 model or look into getting the 3rd gen for anywhere close to the price of the '13 model.

Reliability is generally good on these models and even if you have to repair it, repair costs are very reasonable compared to other manufacturers(ie European).

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
How long are you planning on keeping the vehicle you think?

I agree, for me the argument would be 2011 tech versus 2014 tech.

For the longest time I was somewhat jealous of people who had the Sport/Advance model. Nowadays not so much with the ADS shock issue :D.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone! Especially Mr Gold for that excellent review of the Advance's extra features. I'm sure it will help a lot of people make an informed decision as it did me. There is no substitute for hands on experience!

The only thing I will miss is the adaptive cruise control which is a really useful feature on long trips BUT not worth a 10 thousand dollar premium and we usually take long trips in the Lexus... the V8 LS430 gets WAY better mileage than the MDX.

In the end we decided on neither! I found a 2012 Tech CPO at a local dealer with ....ready for this? 5500 miles on the odometer. I couldn't believe it. So I went to the dealer to see and sure enough. A brand new (for all intents and purposes) 2012 Tech package with optional running boards and dealer installed 20 inch rims (I think they look a little ghetto for my tastes, but whatever) and a trailer hitch with all the electric brake and lighting stuff.

It seems the previous owner leased it and died and it sat until the estate was settled (apparently a very wealthy family). I don't know if that's a true story, but I'll take it!

I'll put up some pics in another thread. This replaces my 2002 Touring which gave 13 years of perfect service. We tend to keep them for a while.

Interestingly, if the story is true, both our cars are now "haunted" as my 2005 LS 430 has a similar story behind it. Statistically it's probably not that big a stretch... Florida...retirees.. you know the drill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts