1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history:
2011 MDX bought from new.
62,XXX miles,
Been burning just under 1 qt oil per 1000 miles so the dealer said it's not enough for the new rings...so been adding Redline SI-1 cleaner and hoping. Seems to have slowed the oil consumption a little but not much.

Now:
A few days ago the CEL came on with a p0848 code (Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor). Took it to the dealer, they changed the switch, all seems to be fine.

My question is:
While the CEL was on, I drove about 20 miles with the transmission clunking everytime it shifted up/down around 25mph. Would this have damaged the transmission or am i ok seeing as i had the switch changed very quickly? The dealer said it should be fine. Does anyone think this MDX is worth keeping at this stage with the oil consumption and now this? It actually drives really nicely now that ive been using the redline SI-1 cleaner but im worried about the tranny/engine going forward. Ive really looked after this since day 1 and wanted to keep it well over 100/200k miles. Thoughts? advise? sell? keep?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Your oil burning issue should be addressed by changing the oil itself more frequently and using a good oil cleaning product such as Amsoil Engine restore or BG44K. Redline simply goes into the fuel so it's not going to be cleaning as much as an additive in the oil.

As far as the transmission goes, you should be fine. The trans probably ran in failsafe mode which is a bit uncomfortable, but protects the trans and gets you to the dealer/side of the road. I'd recommend changing the auto trans fluid completely (should change every other oil change IMO) and changing the pressure switches if the shifting is rough after the repair.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Your oil burning issue should be addressed by changing the oil itself more frequently and using a good oil cleaning product such as Amsoil Engine restore or BG44K. Redline simply goes into the fuel so it's not going to be cleaning as much as an additive in the oil.

As far as the transmission goes, you should be fine. The trans probably ran in failsafe mode which is a bit uncomfortable, but protects the trans and gets you to the dealer/side of the road. I'd recommend changing the auto trans fluid completely (should change every other oil change IMO) and changing the pressure switches if the shifting is rough after the repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks for the reply, yea ill try the more frequent oil changes and BG44k etc. I had just had the transmission fluid changed actually a few hundred miles ago. All seems to be smooth now. Thanks, im not so worried now.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hi

How likely is the transmission fluid pressure switch goes bad after 100k miles? Should it be replaced as a preventative maintenance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hi

How likely is the transmission fluid pressure switch goes bad after 100k miles? Should it be replaced as a preventative maintenance?

They can wear and cause rough shifts but it depends on the gear the switch goes to. TL guys love doing 3rd and 4th gear every 50K or when shifts feel rough and they do give an improvement in most cases. I've had the 5th gear switch fail 2x on my MDX (car computer detected incorrect data) so I replaced them all when I did the timing belt service.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
They can wear and cause rough shifts but it depends on the gear the switch goes to. TL guys love doing 3rd and 4th gear every 50K or when shifts feel rough and they do give an improvement in most cases. I've had the 5th gear switch fail 2x on my MDX (car computer detected incorrect data) so I replaced them all when I did the timing belt service.
Is this switch sensor easy to replace and how much is the part cost?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts