Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I get my oil changes at an Acura dealer. I was told I need some work done but not sure if I should be getting it at the dealer or a regular place. Not sure If I’m overpaying for services. I’m worried I’m getting taken advantage of since I know nothing about cars. Please help.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am in the same boat as you are. we own a 2010 since new and it went regularly to our selling Acura dealership until we had to move away and it became too far. I Am not mechanically inclined and live In a condo so doing work by myself is not an option. I tried a local indie shop which charged 1/3rd less in labor, but the level of care and service was not the same, and then I had concerns with maintaining a consistent service history. Finally I ended up going to a Honda dealer near me instead and it’s been good since, and the added pace of mind has helped.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Can you tell us what work needs to be done and the quote from Acura? Some dealerships try and up-sell maintenance. I have +143,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv and routine scheduled maintenance on the M.I.D. schedule works for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems like routine maintenance. My Acura has 82k miles. I need power steering fluid $150, brake fluid $228, cabin filter $65. Today I was told i also need rear brakes for $325.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you tell us what work needs to be done and the quote from Acura? Some dealerships try and up-sell maintenance. I have +143,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv and routine scheduled maintenance on the M.I.D. schedule works for me.
It seems like routine maintenance. My Acura has 82k miles. I need power steering fluid $150, brake fluid $228, cabin filter $65. Today I was told i also need rear brakes for $325.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I did my power steering at the dealership once I turned over 100,000 miles +3 years ago. It was really dark and the steering wheel felt a little jerky at the steering limits. Felt better after the change. Has the P/S fluid ever been changed? Power Steering is suppose to be lifetime; but, I think Acura really means the normal lifespan of 100k or 6-7 years.

Brake fluid is every 3 years or maybe 4 years if you live in a low humidity like I do in the southwest (usually under 20% or single digits all year). It is good to replace the brake fluid when the brakes are being done. The cabin air filter is a 5 min job and no tools needed for a $8-$15 filter you can get from Walmart or Amazon. Just depends if you want OEM plain paper filter, EPAuto CP134 with activated carbon, or with charcoal/baking soda (Fram fresh breeze CF10134).

An option could be purchasing the fluids and parts yourself to take down to Acura or local shop (do the cabin filter yourself). You can see how much Acura is overcharging you just for a cabin air filter ($65 -vs- $8). It is about the same for the Acura fluids and parts. You might cut the cost down by 20%-25% and just use their labor if you bring the parts and fluids.

You are pretty much trading Acura labor for your time. I can be a pain in the bottom having to run around ordering parts/fluids and finding another shop to do this and that. Might be worth going to Acura or Honda for the work if you don't have the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts