Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I'm currently shopping the used car market for a second generation MDX. I've found a super clean 2011 3.7L Technology AWD MDX. After driving the vehicle our only concern was a hollow thump that apparently came from the vicinity of the driver side front end. I would have bought the car but instead I'm having my mechanic inspect it. That having been said can anyone provide feedback on the reliability of the 2011 MDX or any other nagging problems that that particular year may have experienced.
Greatly appreciated.
DosXX

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Statistically they're great by every measure. Approaching 90k miles on our '12 and no repairs.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I've had my 11 MDX since Jan/14 when I purchased used with about 30K (lease return) and now have about 75K on her now. The issues I've had were:

- Alignment (MDX felt a little unsettled at hwy speeds, 5X better after alignment)
- new Conti DWS tires (OEM tires had a ton of cracks along the sidewall)
- torn front endllink boot causing clunking noise over suspension travel (fixed under basic warranty)
- bad front magnetic shock causing exact same clunking noise 5K later (fixed under basic warranty)
- replace driver 1 key fob because it took 2-4 clicks to work sometimes and range was limited (fixed under basic warranty)
- 6AT reflash (TSB, improved mpgs and trans shifting slightly)
- check charging system message (reflash of whatever firmware eliminated the message)
- replaced 2nd row cup holder because it didn't pop out when pressed (fixed under basic warranty, broke again)
- replaced front passenger seat heater because it was turning off at random times between 1-4 mins (fixed under basic warranty, might just be and Adv MDX issue since the seat heaters have 3 settings for heat and cool)
- replace OEM battery after adding BlackVue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH, battery was too weak to run the camera in parking mode for just a few hours, switched to Interstate AGM battery and zero issues since

Additional items:
- replaced spark plugs at 75K, my TSX and RDX ran much better after 100k spark plug change, didn't want to wait to do the same on the MDX
- did the Navi DVD update for the first time for about $99
- added Osram Xenarc 66240CBI D2S HID Bulbs because OEM HIDs were just too dim
- tried added LED back-up lights; but, 100% waste of money to try and update existing back-up lights because they are too small, point upward, and too high in the hatch
- added 2 iJDMTOY 18-SMD-5050 LED Strip Light For Trunk Cargo Area, super bright and lights up the entire hatch and ground at night
- added a full size spare tire (purchased a used Conti DWS 06 tire for $83 on eBay with 85% tread)
- switched to mobile 1 5w-20 syn oil in Jan/14, I use about 2/3- 3/4 of a quart between 7500k oil changes
- Change the 6AT/transfer fluid every 30K; but, just stick to M.I.D. for everything else

I've had quite of few issues; but, out of pocket was just M.I.D. services, tires, alignment, and battery. One hell of a traveling vehicle and I plan on keeping for another 75K.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have had my 11 Advance since April 2011. Only issues have been AC leak (came from factory), new battery (replaced in year 3), side mirror actuator, and power steering pump (for whine). All repairs under warranty or AcuraCare extended warranty.

I have 61k miles and put on new tires at 55k.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ His is a 2008, Nothing to do with a 2011.

·
Registered
798 Posts
MDX worst car I have owned. Numerous electrical, trim, and mechanical problems.
I guess you've never owned a Fiat, Jag, Land Rover, older Ferrari(pre 360 Modena), older Audi's...

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have a 2011 MDX Advance with 119,000 miles and going strong. I did my timing belt service (+belts, water pump, etc.) at 116,000 miles. I plan to keep it at least until 200K miles.. It still feels and rides solid. It even runs better than when I bought it, since I did an alignment, put good quality tires, etc.

I came from owning 2 Mercedes Benz SUV's, in which I spent around 20,000 in repairs. At 108K miles, they were shot and falling apart. Even the dealer said they are garbage after 100K and all of them only offered $9000.00 for trade-in, even though, they were like new inside/outside since they use high quality vinyl inside (what they called leatherette). I remember changing the brake pads every 20,000 miles because they used soft brake pads and they will not change your brake pads if you didn't change the rotors, which was an $1800.00 service.. I was putting 25K miles every year, so it was crazy to have to change pads every years or twice per year, since some of the pads began to sound like 18 wheelers since Mercedes Benz used cheap 3rd party parts..

I owned several other brands of cars and vehicles (Jeeps, etc) and Acura is the most reliable and most lasting brand that I have experienced. Though, with the 2011 advanced the magnetic shocks are an issue, but I have been lucky with mine.. 119K and still no problems with them..

Make sure that the MDX you are going to buy does not shake at 70 mph or so, since some people have a hard time getting rid of the vibration.. In my case, it was warp brake rotors, but for $50.00 each, I got rid of it..

·
Registered
144 Posts
AC MDX, Very Well said!
I have two 2011 MDX Elites (Canada)
100,000 km. on White,
70,000 km. on the black, I bought the extended warranty on it till 2021. What a waist of money, never had an issue yet with it ! the White, few minor things, side mirror actuater, couple turn signal bulbs and thats it. 100,000 km, replaced the tires once, replaced the breaks once, that's normal stuff though. White consumes a bit of oil between oil changes I have to add a quart to top it up. About it. Very Very reliable vehicles. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

I have a 2011 MDX Advance with 119,000 miles and going strong. I did my timing belt service (+belts, water pump, etc.) at 116,000 miles. I plan to keep it at least until 200K miles.. It still feels and rides solid. It even runs better than when I bought it, since I did an alignment, put good quality tires, etc.

I came from owning 2 Mercedes Benz SUV's, in which I spent around 20,000 in repairs. At 108K miles, they were shot and falling apart. Even the dealer said they are garbage after 100K and all of them only offered $9000.00 for trade-in, even though, they were like new inside/outside since they use high quality vinyl inside (what they called leatherette). I remember changing the brake pads every 20,000 miles because they used soft brake pads and they will not change your brake pads if you didn't change the rotors, which was an $1800.00 service.. I was putting 25K miles every year, so it was crazy to have to change pads every years or twice per year, since some of the pads began to sound like 18 wheelers since Mercedes Benz used cheap 3rd party parts..

I owned several other brands of cars and vehicles (Jeeps, etc) and Acura is the most reliable and most lasting brand that I have experienced. Though, with the 2011 advanced the magnetic shocks are an issue, but I have been lucky with mine.. 119K and still no problems with them..

Make sure that the MDX you are going to buy does not shake at 70 mph or so, since some people have a hard time getting rid of the vibration.. In my case, it was warp brake rotors, but for $50.00 each, I got rid of it..

·
Registered
31 Posts

This is also for my 2007. WOW i have a 2007! It has 150K miles! Thing runs beautifully and still nice to drive. My wife banged it up pretty good on outside - shes rough with it.. Im looking forward to replacing with another, would like to wait a few years for a nice used 2017.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thus far, 2011 from new:

2 new batteries replaced under warranty.
Blower motor on ac/fan.

Thats it. 5 yrs old now, so replacing tires and pads all around. Hopefully good to go for another 5 yrs! *touches wood.

If you find one with all the service records you should be good to go, if its just "clean" as in detailed, i wouldnt use that as a judge, I've seen flooded cars get detailed and look "clean". Good luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just don't get the ones with ADS shocks and make sure the bluetooth module doesn't kill your battery before you buy.

I have almost 250K kms on my 2008 and it feels like it'll go another 200K or more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts