Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,

I'm new to this forum but I wanted to get Canadian MDX owners of 2011 vehicles comments about the oil consumption issue, if they have any. I am having a hard time getting Acura canada to cover an oil consumption issue on my 2011. Its just out of warranty but I've had Honda's before and never have I had an oil consumption issue. Anybody out there have the same issues ? Want to here what Acura did for you as there are no TSB's for Canada but in the U.S. they have acknowledged the issue and offering assistance. Anything you can give me in terms of info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
how much oil do you consume? I believe Acura isn't doing much for anyone unless they exceed 1L per 1000 miles -- which is quite excessive, imho.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am in process of doing a oil consumption test in Alberta, my dealership said to bring it in every 1000km and document the changes. This was recommended by Acura client care when I was talking to them over the phone. , I just hit 1000km today after going there 4 times ( it requires you to do it 4 times ) I will update once my talk with client care is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im new to this site, I'm in alberta as well, and my ZDX is burning 1L every 1200 km. Acura won't fix it but I just bought the car from a an acura dealership so they have to either fix it or buy it back. Very Dissappointed in Acura to be honest, likely won't ever buy another Acura in my lifetime and will be sure to tell others as well.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Im new to this site, I'm in alberta as well, and my ZDX is burning 1L every 1200 km. Acura won't fix it but I just bought the car from a an acura dealership so they have to either fix it or buy it back. Very Dissappointed in Acura to be honest, likely won't ever buy another Acura in my lifetime and will be sure to tell others as well.
First of all, it’s a USED car.
Second of all, Acura doesn’t “have to”.

Why create an account just to ***** and be unreasonable?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all, it’s a USED car.
Second of all, Acura doesn’t “have to”.

Why create an account just to ***** and be unreasonable?
How is selling someone a car with 98000km, burning 1L per 1200km reasonable? Its called being ethical about selling someone a vehicle that is reliable. Yes it is a used car, but I paid a premium price from the Acura dealership on the belief that it is certified. In the end I'm fortunate enough that Acura will still do something about because I bought extended warranty (So yes they have to!!!). What frustrates me is the J37 engine is known to have oil consumption issues which they are well aware, but Acura Canada will not do anything about it, where as in america they are fixing everyone vehicles. My own dealership is frustrated with Acura Canada because at the dealership level is where they are taking the slack.

I did not make this account just to vent, but to make people aware of how many of us are affected and if anyone else has any solutions.

In another note why would you write back making your comment personal? Join Acurazine and see how many people are frustrated with this issue, others have said far worse things about Acura because they have lost their trust in the brand due to the J37 issue.

·
Registered
171 Posts
How is selling someone a car with 98000km, burning 1L per 1200km reasonable? Its called being ethical about selling someone a vehicle that is reliable. Yes it is a used car, but I paid a premium price from the Acura dealership on the belief that it is certified. In the end I'm fortunate enough that Acura will still do something about because I bought extended warranty (So yes they have to!!!). What frustrates me is the J37 engine is known to have oil consumption issues which they are well aware, but Acura Canada will not do anything about it, where as in america they are fixing everyone vehicles. My own dealership is frustrated with Acura Canada because at the dealership level is where they are taking the slack.

I did not make this account just to vent, but to make people aware of how many of us are affected and if anyone else has any solutions.

In another note why would you write back making your comment personal? Join Acurazine and see how many people are frustrated with this issue, others have said far worse things about Acura because they have lost their trust in the brand due to the J37 issue.
Excessive oil consumption is a well known issue. Do not blame Honda for your lack of due diligence. Honda has made it abundantly clear that oil consumption up to 1 qt per 1k miles is considered normal. If that is unacceptable to you, you should not have purchased the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
How is selling someone a car with 98000km, burning 1L per 1200km reasonable? Its called being ethical about selling someone a vehicle that is reliable.
First off, I'd like to say that I would not want my vehicle to burn a measurable amount of oil. However, Honda/Acura maintain that up to 1L per 1,000 miles is within the acceptable tolerance, and it is the owners responsibility to maintain a proper oil level. Since you claim your consumption to be 1L per ~750 miles, you are within that limit. I would also like to point out that I haven't seen any failures attributed to oil consumption EXCEPT when the owner did not maintain proper oil level. Yes, it's a hassle to keep topping up the oil. Yes it's an expense (albeit a minor one). But, much like a chronic health condition that requires medication, it is something that can be lived with.

As for the specific act of a dealership selling you the car... That is a loaded question. Are you saying the dealership KNEW that your specific car burned oil? Because, regardless of how much it burns, if they didn't know then there is no ethical issue, imo. Even if the dealer did know, the amount you claim it burns is within the tolerance that Honda/Acura deem to be "not a defect".

Yes it is a used car, but I paid a premium price from the Acura dealership on the belief that it is certified.
You're inconsistent. When you say "belief that it is certified" are you accusing the dealership of representing the vehicle as Acura CPO, but that it is actually not? That would be an issue, if true... But the way you word your post it makes me question the veracity of the claim.

In the end I'm fortunate enough that Acura will still do something about because I bought extended warranty (So yes they have to!!!).
Nope. Maybe they will help you, but based on what you've said in your previous posts they do not HAVE to. What you've described, thus far, falls within the guidelines that Honda/Acura have set for acceptable consumption. Again, I don't personally agree with their guideline on this matter... But to say they have a legal obligation is incorrect.

What frustrates me is the J37 engine is known to have oil consumption issues which they are well aware, but Acura Canada will not do anything about it, where as in america they are fixing everyone vehicles. My own dealership is frustrated with Acura Canada because at the dealership level is where they are taking the slack.
You keep blaming Acura, but ultimately YOU decided to buy a 7 year old vehicle that is known to have this specific problem. You're getting push-back, here, because you've taken no ownership for your own decisions and potential lack of research and due diligence.

Your only posts have been to complain/vent. So it's just lip service when you claim that wasn't your intention when your actions demonstrate otherwise. You then say you want to make people aware -- but earlier in your post, you acknowledge that this is already a known issue.

As for solutions... The easiest and most reliable is to regularly check your oil level, and top-off, as needed. Even for "normal" vehicles that do not consume an appreciable amount of oil, regular checks of oil level should be a regularly observed practice.

How is my comment "personal"? You took an action, and I questioned it. If you can't handle that, then the internet is probably not the best place for you.

I'm already on Acurazine. I empathize with people who bought J37 vehicles NEW. I have less empathy for people who bought them used, long after the issues were well known. I have zero empathy for people who bought them used, long after the issues were well known, and take zero responsibility for their position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all I appreciate your time for an elaborate response. Since you seem to be very knowledgeable, will the catalytic converter ever get affected by excessive oil consumption? My exhaust pipes are black and the bumper above them are as well.

There is nothing wrong with people buying used Acuras, they are trustworthy cars. It is their brand which brings people who can't afford to buy used and one day possible buy new when they have money.

Maybe you are right that I should have done more research before buying the vehicle instead of putting my trust into the brand. So I guess I learned my lesson from Acura.

Please don't question me about my claims, everything on the internet cannot be verified, I came here to see what others from Canada have done to correct the issue, because in America their is a service bulletin out already for the fix.

The normal oil consumption here in Canada is 1500km per 1L and any lower is not acceptable.

Anyways my apologies for venting, you have to understand that one someone save up money to buy vehicle they love to only find out there are intrinsic problems with the build is frustrating especially when all my other vehicles don't burn oil to that extent. I thought I was writing in a forum here where other people have the same issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ahahaha, your blaming him for Honda design a faulty engine? Man listen to yourself, we as consumers gotta stand for each other to make sure manufactures don’t screw us over.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ahahaha, your blaming him for Honda design a faulty engine? Man listen to yourself, we as consumers gotta stand for each other to make sure manufactures don’t screw us over.

Buyer beware. Whatever happened to the idea of personal accountability? We have become a society of victims always depending on the government or someone to protect us from our own laziness. Just look at the inane safety warnings on everything we buy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buyer beware. Whatever happened to the idea of personal accountability? We have become a society of victims always depending on the government or someone to protect us from our own laziness. Just look at the inane safety warnings on everything we buy.

I agree I think America should have known that Trump was the biggest Troll, voters beware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok just bought a 2010 mdx, found out the car was burning 1quart/1000km. Called Acura and got no where...... but I found a solution. Let me explain, I recently went on a road trip and did an oil changed right before I left. I traveled about 350km and I was traveling around 150-160km/h. When I got to my destination I check my oil and found that I was a quart low........%[email protected]& me!!!! So I decided to look online for some help. Got to some threads that told me to put a quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid)due to the high detergent content in atf they said it would help to get my piston rings unstuck. Driving back the same way I came and on the same route but going at around 180km/h @ 3000rpm (you dont have to go this fast, I was following a pack of speed demons). Got back home to find my dipstick still full!!!! I'm over the moon right now and super happy about this!!!!! Not saying it'll work for you but give it a shot and lmk. Forgot to mention you dont want the atf in the engine for any longer then 350km, I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow. Brief summary when your mdx is a quart low buy any atf fluid and put it in, beat the piss out of your car for about 100km-350km and change the oil. I hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Got to some threads that told me to put a quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid)due to the high detergent content in atf they said it would help to get my piston rings unstuck. Driving back the same way I came and on the same route but going at around 180km/h @ 3000rpm (you dont have to go this fast, I was following a pack of speed demons). Got back home to find my dipstick still full!!!! I'm over the moon right now and super happy about this!!!!! Not saying it'll work for you but give it a shot and lmk. Forgot to mention you dont want the atf in the engine for any longer then 350km, I'm getting my oil changed tomorrow. Brief summary when your mdx is a quart low buy any atf fluid and put it in, beat the piss out of your car for about 100km-350km and change the oil. I hope this helps!!
ATF does not have a higher detergent content than motor oil. I believe it's actually a lower content.

Also, detergents don't work that way... They have no effect on oil burning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If it isn't the atf then why did my oil consumption stop? Serious question, I'm not consuming a drop of oil now from when I started 1000km/quart. Btw Honda tech told me this was a old school trick and it wouldn't hurt the car

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
If it isn't the atf then why did my oil consumption stop? Serious question, I'm not consuming a drop of oil now from when I started 1000km/quart. Btw Honda tech told me this was a old school trick and it wouldn't hurt the car
I don't necessarily accept your assertion that you magically don't burn any more oil, now, so I don't see why the onus falls to me to explain something that I don't believe to be true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing falls on you to explain anything, I just wanted to help acura owners with the their oil consumption problem and I thought I would give my 2 cent. Whether you believe my assertion or not that's your right it's a free country. I hope my thread helps someone out but if your not here to help or have a civil dialog then that fine too. Btw for everyone else my issue with my oil consumption was due to gunked up or stuck piston rings according to my Honda tech. It might have been because I put new oil in and beat the piss out of it or the atf I'm not to sure. I drove another 300km today and haven't seen a drop on my dipstick will keep you guys posted

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey I really appreciate you posting about what you did. Don't worry about the troll who seems to offer no help and then blame us for faulty cars. I totally believe you about what you did with the ATF. My neighbor did the same thing when he went on a long trip and then his car ran great, although he was blowing alot of smoke from the back end for a little bit. I too have looked into a solution for the stuck rings. It seems to be caused by carbon buildup on the piston rings which leads to oil being sucked in and mixed with fuel. This in the end will lead to black exhaust pipes and occasional pinging caused by the lower octane level in the oil. I too was going to either use seafoam or ATF. Others have posted about using other compounds although I am reluctant to try those. I was wondering if you noticed any engine pinging with 91 octane? is the area above your exhaust pipes black? Please keep us updated!!!!! Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My engine does ping when I use anything but 91 but I believe that I have really bad carbon build up(was 1 quartz/1000km) from burning oil, so the carbon is getting extremely hot and it would pre ignite the fuel. My friend has the same car and doesnt have an issue with pinging on regular 87 gas but he doesnt burn oil either. I've tried 2 round of seafoam without any success. My honda tech told me to put in 91 and drive the hell out of it. To be honest I have notice my pinging to be less after my trip but its definitely still there. I'm going to try some Chevron techron fuel cleaner in a very concentrated form. Have you heard of piston soaking with marvel mystery oil or atf, I've heard it does wonders to get rid of carbon build up. You can look up the process at the Saturn or Tsx forums and it seems to work for them. If you have any question feel free to hit me up

Edit
yes my tail pipe is black and greasy to the touch

Edit
I think part of my success was driving the hell out of my car forcing the new oil(mobile1 1000 dino) oil/atf( mobil1 atf sythentic) through my piston rings, as stated above I was driving about 140km/100mph and easily push 5000rpm going up hill

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts