Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 2011 MDX, tech package, 30,300 miles on it. Mainly city driving, light use.
Last oil change was done at 26,800 in July 2018.
The oil life currently is at 50% per the minder.
I looked at the dipstick today and wasn't
​​​quite happy with what I saw (pics attached). Called the dealership and they said typically wait till oil life is at 15% or a year has elapsed.
Would appreciate some input on typical oil change intervals.
Side note: received a notice from Acura recently indicating that 2011 mdx is one of the year models that might be affected by excessive oil consumption and to have an oil consumption test done, so a bit freaked out by what I saw on the dip. Thoughts welcome.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Hi,

I have a 2011 MDX, tech package, 30,300 miles on it. Mainly city driving, light use.

Last oil change was done at 26,800 in July 2018.

The oil life currently is at 50% per the minder.

​​​quite happy with what I saw (pics attached). Called the dealership and they said typically wait till oil life is at 15% or a year has elapsed.

Would appreciate some input on typical oil change intervals.

Side note: received a notice from Acura recently indicating that 2011 mdx is one of the year models that might be affected by excessive oil consumption and to have an oil consumption test done, so a bit freaked out by what I saw on the dip. Thoughts welcome.

Thanks

4500 miles since last oil change and it burned that much oil is pretty good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
752 Posts
Your oil is rather clean, for 3500 miles.
I don't think that you will qualify as having an oil consuming engine.
Acura says 1000 miles and burning 1 quart is a issue.
You will not make it all the way to 15% oil life, so you need to check it around every 2500 miles.

As you approach 100,000 miles, you'll see more consumption.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your oil is rather clean, for 3500 miles.
I don't think that you will qualify as having an oil consuming engine.
Acura says 1000 miles and burning 1 quart is a issue.
You will not make it all the way to 15% oil life, so you need to check it around every 2500 miles.

As you approach 100,000 miles, you'll see more consumption.
Thank you for the response. Is the darker tone of the oil not a concern? Also, would city driving contribute more towards lower oil life vs. freeway driving? I guess I'd like to get a better sense of typical mileage one can expect after an oil change. Also, would be interesting to know how the maintenance minder calculates oil life, given that it's at 50% now, as you mentioned, I doubt it's going to make it to 15% unless the minder starts dropping the oil life percentage much quicker now.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've always changed my oil according to maintenance minder, which I recommend to everyone else. It's not related to mileage, because it's based on engine rotation.

Restyle (2010+) models are known for oil burning, though, so I would keep an eye in between the changes as well.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
​​​quite happy with what I saw (pics attached).

Oil color is not necessarily a good indicator of the condition. Our MDX has always had the oil look dark within a couple thousand miles, but numerous oil sampling at 8k-9k mile intervals shows it's in excellent condition (I use synthetic). I'm at 125k miles and everything seems to be working properly with very little oil use. As someone else mentioned, the recommended change is based on the MID or at least once a year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont listen to that dealer. The oil % doesnt tell you how much actual oil is in the engine just how "old" it is.
We had 50% on the minder but the oil light warning came on, checked the dip stick and it was bone dry.
Now I check it every month regardless of what the oil % is. Keep an eye on it because we used to do our oil changes every time the minder told us to within 15% but now we cant rely on the minder because we could be out of oil & the oil warning might come on again.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Dont listen to that dealer. The oil % doesnt tell you how much actual oil is in the engine just how "old" it is.
We had 50% on the minder but the oil light warning came on, checked the dip stick and it was bone dry.
Now I check it every month regardless of what the oil % is. Keep an eye on it because we used to do our oil changes every time the minder told us to within 15% but now we cant rely on the minder because we could be out of oil & the oil warning might come on again.

The dealer wasn't wrong at all...the MID specifies when to change the oil. You're still supposed to check the oil level regularly....the owners manual alludes to checking it every time you fuel.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yes, the maintenance minder doesn't tell you how much oil is in the engine, because it's not there for that purpose. The maintenance minder is based on engine running time and rotations to calculate which maintenance is due.

As far as the oil level, you as an owner is responsible for checking and maintaining that oil level as suggested in the owner's manual.

Check your oil and other fluids level regularly, folks! It only takes a couple of minutes to check the oil and ATF levels using dipsticks and another 30 seconds to visually inspect the power steering, brake fluid and coolant reservoirs to make sure fluids are on their normal levels. Trust me, you really don't want to save two minutes monthly to risk in major damages.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do not want to start an oil debate thread, so please lets not get astray.

What viscosity oil do you use? Also, since you drive in the city, do you track (through a OBD2 reader) the engine operating hours? The PCM is pretty clever in assessing the type of driving you do and thus accounts for the MID. I would typically follow the MID, but have changed my oil at 30% as I used to tow a lot.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
88 Posts
I change my oil and filter in my 2011 MDX every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever come first and I use Mobil 1 5/20w. After only a few weeks, the oil is already dirty and smells like gas. Oil gets contaminated every time you start your car from tiny metal particles, cylinder gases, fuel, crap that gets past your air filter, minute amounts of water etc. Frequent oil changes are a cheap investment you can do yourself to extend engine life, 6 quarts at Costco costs less than $30 when on sale, a decent filter is less than $8. I change trans and transfer case oil every other oil change and the differential is done yearly. Being a mechanic for over 20 years, I have seen firsthand what happens when people neglect or use inferior products and since my MDX is modified and driven hard daily, I try do what I can to make sure a costly engine or trans rebuild doesn't happen from neglecting something as simple as changing oil. Oh yea, I also use magnetic drain plugs so I can inspect how much particles collect at every oil change.

But hey, that's just me and I understand that everyone may not feel it's necessary to change oil that often but I am willing to bet that if the MDX came with lifetime oil changes for free every 3 months only valid as long as you never miss a single appointment, most people would find the time no matter what to take it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I change my oil and filter in my 2011 MDX every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever come first and I use Mobil 1 5/20w. After only a few weeks, the oil is already dirty and smells like gas. Oil gets contaminated every time you start your car from tiny metal particles, cylinder gases, fuel, crap that gets past your air filter, minute amounts of water etc. Frequent oil changes are a cheap investment you can do yourself to extend engine life, 6 quarts at Costco costs less than $30 when on sale, a decent filter is less than $8. I change trans and transfer case oil every other oil change and the differential is done yearly. Being a mechanic for over 20 years, I have seen firsthand what happens when people neglect or use inferior products and since my MDX is modified and driven hard daily, I try do what I can to make sure a costly engine or trans rebuild doesn't happen from neglecting something as simple as changing oil. Oh yea, I also use magnetic drain plugs so I can inspect how much particles collect at every oil change.

But hey, that's just me and I understand that everyone may not feel it's necessary to change oil that often but I am willing to bet that if the MDX came with lifetime oil changes for free every 3 months only valid as long as you never miss a single appointment, most people would find the time no matter what to take it in.
I think Acura has pretty clearly conceded that having to change the oil that often or check it with every refuel as another poster stated is not how this vehicle was intended to function. My 2011 MDX with 108k miles is currently getting the extended warranty oil burn service and it's top to bottom free because it shouldn't be burning the kind of oil it was burning.

If you're having to check your oil at every refuel, something is seriously wrong. Take it in for its oil burn trial. They told me 2-3k miles and bring it in for a recheck. I had a brake sensor issue that brought me in at 800 miles and they just did the oil check then, found it to have burned through almost a quart, and initiated the warranty service.

Cool thing was, I was due for my timing belt replacement and associated services (I'd been procrastinating due to how expensive it was gonna be). They were able to knock off over $1000 for the service due to the fact they were already gonna be in the engine for the oil burn service, so I'm killing several birds with one stone on this thing.

I'm good now for another 100,000 miles I figure on my baby! Moral of the story, if you're eating up oil, it ain't supposed to be that way. Take the thing in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts