Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I recently purchased a used 2011 tech package with 50k on it - I've read through the the post here about oil and I am leaning towards the recommended 5w20 (synthetic for me).

On another note , we purchased brand new at the time a 2012 rav4 4cyl for the wife.. the recommended oil for this baby is 0W20 and interval are 1 year or 16k (kms ). Now she doesn't even drive 16k per year and when I pull up the dip stick at the end of the year the oil is only barely golden brown indicating to me that this is a superior oil. I've never seen oil like this. She only drives about 10k per year.

now back to my MDX. ..I've had it for a few month and it came with an oil change from dealer so I would assume they put what is recomend - 7k later the oil is noticeably dark, not black but definitely dark brown.

Would it hurt to use this oil in a MDX ? (0W20)
I am thoroughly impressed with the longevity of this oil.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The MDX oil turns dark fairly quick. I use the same oil in other vehicles and it still very light even at 10k miles, but the MDX it turns dark in a couple thousand miles. I've had the MDX oil tested at 8k and 9k miles on synthetic and it wasn't even close to being out of the norm. The moral of the story is that the color of the oil doesn't particularly mean anything. You can research that on your own but some engines just react different with the oil.

The dealer most like did not use a synthetic on your MDX. It's not needed or required and unless someone specifically asked, they would just use what's required.

Most Toyota's don't really turn the oil dark and 0W-20 is at the very least a semi-synthetic (they don't make a conventional 0W-20). Annual change is recommended regardless because the oil can break down and if you're driving less than 16km/year it's probably short trips or cold starts which is harder on the oil. The MDX will monitor your driving conditions and adjust the oil change interval accordingly.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts