Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This took a lot of reading and a bit of trial and error but it’s done and I’m finally happy. After my ADS suspension crapped out I replaced it with base model suspension. Monroe quick struts for the front and KYB Excel G shocks for the back with 1 or 2 ohm resistors (can’t recall, whatever people recommended in other posts) to trick the ECU and keep the errors from appearing. The ride was alright and the look was the same so..... back to the forums.

Unable to find an aftermarket lowering option that would 100% work on my X I decided to cut a coil out of my springs. I’d done this before when I was younger after talking to people that knew what they were talking about and been happy with the results. One coil off the bottom of each spring and back together gave me the look I was going for and initially I thought the ride was pretty good too. After a while I was less impressed with my decision and decided to take a leap of faith and buy a set of H&R lowering springs for a 2005-07 Honda Odyssey (51815). The ride on the cut springs was good almost everywhere but on slower side streets with lots of bumps or uneven pavement the ride was too bouncy for my liking. Also because I never smoothed off where I cut the spring the sharp edge ended up rubbing through the rubber isolator and making a bit of noise when turning at slow speed, not cool.

The diameter of the H&R springs was beefier to start with and ended up solving the bounce problem. Now the car corners a little nicer as well but isn’t too stiff like the original sport mode over the rough stuff. I’ve only been on this setup for about a week now and my wife has the X most of the time so will update when I’ve got some more miles on it and swap the summer wheels/tires back on. Here is a picture with the stock 19’s after lowering approx 1 1/2”.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I want the opposite! I want my X to rise higher so it doesn’t look like a shorty and on the plus side I wouldn’t have to jack up the vehicle to work underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I want the opposite! I want my X to rise higher so it doesn’t look like a shorty and on the plus side I wouldn’t have to jack up the vehicle to work underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks much nicer with the Camaro wheels I put on in the summer, don’t have a pic for some reason though. Ramps work wonders for working underneath.

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
60 Posts
I still don't know how the H&R 51815 springs fit the front because I already tried that and the 51816 on my 2011. I am willing to bet the springs pigtails do not sit where they are supposed to nor is the diameter correct because I tried everything to make those work but I wasn't willing to let the spring pigtail just float around and not seat properly in the lower control arm and upper strut plate. The diameter of the both the H&R springs were totally wrong on both the top and bottom and the location or the pigtal was in the wrong place. Only the rear springs looked the same.
20180805_103912.jpg

20180816_102401.jpg
20180908_105235.jpg
20180908_105442.jpg

Thankfully I finally lowered mine the proper way with custom coil overs.
20200219_174346.jpg

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think that Pete M is riding on 2005 - 07 H&R Odyssey Springs # 51815 and is happy.

Modded11 bought the same 51815 Springs and didn't like the fitment and got rid of them. Thank you for the comparison photo.

Modded11 found a place to have custom springs made, but doesn't mention who that was, so we can't get some too.

Question, for Modded11, when you experimented with the 51815 springs...did you try turning them upside down and was the fitment still too far off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks cool, but now you cant use your suv as a suv!
Our MDX absolutely does everything it’s supposed to, unless losing 1 1/2” of ground clearance is critical? I don’t take my luxury SUV off road much, and the roof is easier to wash now....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still don't know how the H&R 51815 springs fit the front because I already tried that and the 51816 on my 2011. I am willing to bet the springs pigtails do not sit where they are supposed to nor is the diameter correct because I tried everything to make those work but I wasn't willing to let the spring pigtail just float around and not seat properly in the lower control arm and upper strut plate. The diameter of the both the H&R springs were totally wrong on both the top and bottom and the location or the pigtal was in the wrong place. Only the rear springs looked the same. View attachment 114448
View attachment 114445 View attachment 114446 View attachment 114447

Thankfully I finally lowered mine the proper way with custom coil overs.
View attachment 114449
I actually bought the H&R springs at the same time as the new stock suspension setup and tried to swap in the lowering coils with the same thoughts which is why I tried cutting out a coil. The one thing I didn’t do is fully install the H&R springs to see. I couldn’t figure out what was different about my MDX compared to all the others that have been successful with this setup. Rears were definitely installed up side down to fit perfectly. Fronts were installed with the small diameter facing up to sit perfectly in the upper seat. The bottoms is what threw me for a loop the first time. They don’t look like they will fit without decompressing the spring. It looks like the spring with not clear the lip on the base of the strut. After taking the compressors off they touch it but don’t interfere at all. Turns out the numerous other articles we’ve all seen using these springs are correct. I’m glad because the place I bought the H&R springs from wouldn’t take them back after 7 days.

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
2011 MDX Tech
60 Posts
I think that Pete M is riding on 2005 - 07 H&R Odyssey Springs # 51815 and is happy.

Modded11 bought the same 51815 Springs and didn't like the fitment and got rid of them. Thank you for the comparison photo.

Modded11 found a place to have custom springs made, but doesn't mention who that was, so we can't get some too.

Question, for Modded11, when you experimented with the 51815 springs...did you try turning them upside down and was the fitment still too far off?
I tried everything possible to make both the 51815 and 51816 springs fit, upside down, left to right etc but they were not even close to being able to properly fit. I've been a mechanic for over 30 years and can easily modify almost anything to make it fit but being that I use the MDX to take my young daughter to school and back daily, I wasn't about to start "Macgyvering" lowering springs or anything to do with suspension. If you read the post about the 2007 MDX lowered with Honda Odyssey springs, you will see that even an Acura mechanic screen name Type S zero tried those exact springs and it couldn't fit properly so he gave it up.

The reason I haven't written an post about my coilovers is because I am still fine tuning them and figuring out if they are good enough for every day street use. I don't want to give the manufacturer free advertising if their product does not meet my standards. There is still some noises coming from the front springs during turns and although I don't expect performance coilovers to be completely silent, I do not expect the springs to click every time I make a turn or stab on the brakes. This weekend, I am going to inspect every single component to see why the springs still make noise, I double checked the preload many times already, checked all the mounting bolts, mounting collars etc so I may just try grease on the top and bottom of the springs.

One day if I have the time, I will post pics of every modification I have done on my MDX
PS, My drop is about 3 and half inches, I could of gone more if I stuck with the stock tire width of 255's but I have 275's on 8.5 x 20" rims

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can’t tell you why or how my setup works and others don’t but I can tell you that if it was in any way unsafe, or even a chance at being unsafe I wouldn’t chance it. I’m not a red seal mechanic but am a ticketed tradesman and hobby mechanic I guess you’d call me. I’ve done quite a few projects over the years from lift kits to engine swaps but usually do a lot of research prior and rely a bit on the good ‘ol internet for tips and tricks.

The picture below is also from the Acurazine article and looks almost identical to my setup, minus the subtle differences due to mine being a Monroe aftermarket strut and not stock. I couldn’t be happier with the result and even though it’s my wife’s MDX, I’ve traded her vehicles for the time being and have been putting the setup through the paces to make 100% sure there’s nothing I’ve missed and there are zero noises coming from the suspension. Honestly this is just information for anyone that’s been looking to try it, especially if you have the famous clunking from the Elite ADS suspension and have to change it out anyways. I can’t tell you why it works for some and for others it’s like putting a square where a circle goes, just make sure the H&R springs are returnable if you’re not happy with the fitment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts