Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if this is normal... If I turn the key to position 2 (AC on and OEM Entertainment TV on) the battery will drain enough in a mere 10min that it will not start. This has happened to me multiple times so I asked the dealer and they said yes this is normal. Really? :confused: is the reserve on their batteries that bad or is the vehicle using THAT much power?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Shop BS. Not normal. Battery drain w/ key off and all accessories off is usually < 50mA, good for weeks of inactivity.

You will need to have a battery drain test performed to isolate the source of the drain. Most good shops will be able to help. The Hands Free interface is apparenlty (based on posts) the most frequent source of battery drain, but I don't know if it would drain battery in 10m.

good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... but maybe you read the message wrong.. With the key off the battery doesn't drain (not that I know of). It's with the power turned ON (aka AC, lights, and TV ON)but without the engine running that that power drains in 10min.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
When I updated my Navi disk, it stated in the instructions to turn on the MDX for the 20 min disk load. I figured how can a DVD disk drive run down a car battery? Sure enough, I didn't have enough power to start the MDX when the disk load was done (just a lot of clicks and blinking lights). I purchased a battery charger/maintainer at autozone and most of the time my battery is around 55%-70% charge, even after a 20 min drive home. I just got in the habit of putting my OEM battery on the charger once a week to top it off. I want to get a AGM battery; but, the prices are way too high for now (waiting for ANY kind of sale).

I don't have any problems starting the MDX as long as the power is about 40%-45%. I don't want to test this out if the temps are below freezing or zero.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mrgold35. I guess that confirms it. The MDX doesn't get an energy star rating :eek:. I'm still guessing it must have to do with the A/C also being on. I'd like to see if it still dies in 10 min if ONLY the DVD is on (aka no lights or AC). I can leave my other car on for two hours listening to loud music out in the yard and it doesn't die.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I ended up getting this from Amazon for about $95. Works better on a low battery with a current compared to a 100% dead battery. It has enough power to jump start something like a 6-liter engine. It came in handy a few times with my mom's car and it was too heavy for me to push her +2 ton land yacht out of the garage for jumper cables by myself. It also can charge a cell phone/iPad when you are out and about. I just top it off with power once a month and toss in the back of the MDX. It is a pretty small to toss in a large purse or back pack for a day outing (no jumper cables and add apple or usb cables).

Link: GB30 12V Lithium Jump Starter | NOCO Genius

·
Registered
798 Posts
How old is your battery?

Even if your a/c is on and rear ent system is on, it shouldn't drain in 10 min with a healthy battery. The A/C isn't technically running if your key is only in position 1 or 2 as it's only the fan that runs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's an original battery from a 2011 model so between 4-5 years old. The dealer tested it and said it was good... I don't think there is a way to test the reserve though it there? On a side note I didn't realize key in position 2 does not actually turn on the A/C pump, just the fans if Alpine003 is correct, good to know.

·
Registered
132 Posts
went to Seattle Labor day, left the car with my son in it, he turned it to Acc position 1 to charge his phone and 15 min later, no start , had to jump it. Also 2011 Tech, but checking at home it's still good. First time this happened and surely not happy with.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's an original battery from a 2011 model so between 4-5 years old. The dealer tested it and said it was good...
Time for a replacement to be on the safe side. It's better than getting stranded, especially as the temps turn colder for winter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Let me chime in with a recent experience. Wife & Kid were in car while I went to pick some stuff. I come after 30-40 minutes only to find that Key was in ON mode, A/C & Rear Ent running.

Tried to crank the engine & my fears came true, the X wont start. Started making a call to AAA, which was a first for me & which also made me realize that its quite a long call. While holding on to get the center closest to me, I thought of a crazy idea, use my remote starter to start the X, hey whats the worst that's gonna happen, right? I pulled out the starter & clicked twice to start & to my utter surprise & Joy, the X started :D

I don't know how but it worked, there must be a 10-15 min gap between the last crank & the remote start(didnt I say the call to AAA was long :p). I hung up on AAA after informing them that I don't need the service anymore, phew

Its a 2011 CPO Tech + Ent

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Let me chime in with a recent experience. Wife & Kid were in car while I went to pick some stuff. I come after 30-40 minutes only to find that Key was in ON mode, A/C & Rear Ent running.

Tried to crank the engine & my fears came true, the X wont start. Started making a call to AAA, which was a first for me & which also made me realize that its quite a long call. While holding on to get the center closest to me, I thought of a crazy idea, use my remote starter to start the X, hey whats the worst that's gonna happen, right? I pulled out the starter & clicked twice to start & to my utter surprise & Joy, the X started :D

I don't know how but it worked, there must be a 10-15 min gap between the last crank & the remote start(didnt I say the call to AAA was long :p). I hung up on AAA after informing them that I don't need the service anymore, phew

Its a 2011 CPO Tech + Ent
I had something the same; but, different. My alternator on my RDX was going out and it was stealing power from the battery until the voltage was too low to run and it would die. It wouldn't start right away; but, if you let it sit for 10-15 mins it would?

I think it might be worth letting our Acura sit for 10-15 mins if it doesn't start because of low voltage issues.:confused:

This was before I purchased the portable jump starter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts