Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 MDX is at the dealer now for state inspection and rear brakes (originals and I knew they needed to be replaced). I have almost 75K miles on my vehicle. The battery warning light has been coming on (Replace Battery now) for a while. I previously had them check it and they said my battery tested fine, this was about 6 months ago. They cleaned the connections and it was fine. Anyway it's been coming on a lot lately so they tell me now their diagnostics say the battery needs to be replaced. Not too surprising with the age/miles on the vehicle, but I've never had an issue with it starting or even hesitating to start. But I told them to put a new battery in it, thinking the sensor is getting this before it's a real problem and I get stranded somewhere. They asked if it came on only when I started or when driving as well. I said that once or twice it has come on when driving but usually when starting. Usually when I drive for a bit the sensor goes off. They said that if it came on when driving it could indicate the alternator was going too. Question - is that covered under the extended warranty (I purchased one through 100K miles through Acura) and two, would you address the alternator now or just see what happens with a new battery? I'm very much hoping it's not the alternator now since I've already run up a significant bill for brakes and a battery along with inspection. By the way, they gave me a 2016 MDX loaner. From the outside I wasn't overly impressed, but wow, it drives like a dream. Lots of additional bells and whistles too, but the big thing was the way it drove and handled. Very, very smooth. I love my 2011, but they're no dummies giving me the 2016 to tool around in. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The alternator is covered by the Acuracare warranty.

Battery problems can cause some goofy issues on cars these days. It's not the old "click click click click" and you know the battery is toast. If the voltage isn't just right it can cause sensors or even no-starts long before the battery is completely gone. 4-5 years is pretty good for a battery so it's probably due. If you keep having the light go on, then take it back and have them look at the alternator. They're not typically a problem at this short of a life though.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Going to the dealer is going to cost you an arm and Leg but you do get the nice loaners! :cool:

Independent shops will do the rear brakes for around 50% the price of the dealer with the same parts, same day and no loaner.

The battery from acura sucks, they won't last more than 5 years typically. FL kills battery and every acura battery I've had has died in less than 2.

I now use AGM batteries which last a lot longer! My 760's 1000 CCA battery lasted over 6 years! I bought a Bosch one from Pepboys 35% off online and picked up in store. It's started the MDX without an issue and was $40 more than a typical lead acid battery.

The alternator should be replaced when it goes out, Acura won't be able to do it under warranty without a failure most of the time. Since you are getting a lot of work done, maybe they might do it for you.

It's less than $300 for a new alternator installed, so if they try to make you pay for it beware of the price! It's like $150 for the alternator and 1 hr of labor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts