Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have a 2011 MDX Tech with 100k miles, with intentions on keeping for another 100k.
Based on a low speed (10-20mph) clunking noise (hollow-sounding) from passenger front on bumpy roads, I have sequentially replaced the following items on driver and passenger side, with persistent clunk:
entire front strut assemblies and stabilizer end links,
sway bar bushings (priors mildly worn),
inner and outer tie rods (priors worn).

I have removed and retorqued the strut assembly.
With car jacked up, there is no movement at lower control arm ball joint.
The compliance bushing does not appear cracked.
When checking motor mounts, there is mild engine motion in drive (foot on brake, put car in drive and press the gas, repeat in reverse), and no noise with the maneuver. I haven't removed or had a good visual on any of the mounts yet.

Questions:
1. Anyone replace engine mounts for a 2G MDX yet, if so what mileage and which mounts?
2. Has anyone received a faulty new strut (mine ordered from Tim)?
3. Any other thoughts on cause of noise?

Appreciate any input

·
Registered
4 Posts
2008. Have had similar issues but only replaced tie rods. Had 2/4 motor mounts replaced but I don recall which ones. Still have that loose, rattly sound at low speeds so I would like some answers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
The problem that your having sounds like the same one that was happening on my wife's '08. It had a clucnk every time I started the vehicle and when going over small bumps, almost like something was loose. I thought that the mount was bad, but during a visual inspection, it looked fine. I was finally able to remove some things to get a better look at it and I found that the bolt holding the mount to the body was loose. I tightened it up using a breaker bar and all was good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The problem that your having sounds like the same one that was happening on my wife's '08. It had a clucnk every time I started the vehicle and when going over small bumps, almost like something was loose. I thought that the mount was bad, but during a visual inspection, it looked fine. I was finally able to remove some things to get a better look at it and I found that the bolt holding the mount to the body was loose. I tightened it up using a breaker bar and all was good.
I had both strut mounts replaced and I still have that sound. Would that bolt be same bolt you are referring to when you are removing the mount?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think he means the Subframe to body main bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts