Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at purchasing a 2010-13 MDX. From this forum (and that other Acura forum) it does not seem like the iPhone integration (iPhone 12/iOS 14) of the Tech package is really any better than the Base MDX for the current iPhones.

Acura's website suggests that iPhone 5 is the last model supported by 2nd Gen MDX (and only up to iOS 8). So if iPhone integration is my only interest in the Tech package (not interested in the NAV feature), I would not want to pay the premium for the Tech package on the used market.

I would likely use the iPhone integration for streaming Pandora and phone calls only. The base has a 1/8 stereo jack for AUX input and the Tech has a USB connection for Lightning cable. Likely USB port would charge the phone but probably not integrate in any other way?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I have the 11 MDX Adv with my old iPhone 6S+ with IOS 14.4.1. I use bluetooth audio streaming and steering wheel controls if I'm not listening to XM. You will lose steering wheel controls with the AUX cable. The base comes with a 235 watt 8 speakers system; while, the tech/Adv has a 410 watt ELS 10 speakers system that can play DVD-A. I'm not 100% sure if the base MDX even has bluetooth audio streaming?

I just have an USB stick connected 24/7 into the center console. I haven't tried connecting my iphone into the smartphone data port because it works so well with bluetooth. The tech model will give you more options AND you can always upgrade the system for Carplay with GROM or NAVtool.

I would download the owner's manual online for the MDX and look-up the pairing procedures (pairing the phone also sets up bluetooth streaming). It only takes less than a minute to do and you can test out the sound quality.

Side Note: I think you can only pair 5 or 6 phones max. The previous owner might still have old pairings that might be at that limit. I've had issues in the past pairing different phones like blackberry or RAZR with apple on the same system. Zero issue since going 100% Apple for the last 10 years. You might have delete any old pairings if you have issues.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I am using iPhone 12 Pro Max with my 2011 MDX Tech + Ent. The Bluetooth works as expected. I also use the phone as iPod by connecting it to the usb port and that also works as expected, it charges and allows music playback (steering controls work) from the phone.

Tech will support your use case.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It’s good to hear. As I understand it I can stream via the Bluetooth on the tech package as well as stream via the USB port on the tech package. But unlikely to stream Bluetooth on the base model.

is that correct?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yes that's what the brochure seems to suggest, check slide #26 on this https://cdn.dealereprocess.org/cdn/brochures/acura/2011-mdx.pdf

Btw there is a difference in quality when using USB vs Aux in Vs BT in case you are SQ oriented.

Also in Aux in you can not control anything other than volume. that too will depend on whats the volume set on the phone, if thats low it will sound low even when you crank up volume on car, it took me a while first time i tried that to realize that i need to increase sound volume on phone.

·
Registered
467 Posts
How long do you plan to keep the car? The base doesnt come with a Screen so in future if you feel like having apple car play or even playing videos, no option. With Non Tech models you will have option to add Navtool or GROM interface. I have installed Navtool in my 2011 and happy with it, please not installation varies between 2007-2009 models and 2010-2013. Its easier for the 2010-2013 ones.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
usb port works perfectly with the iphone to charge and play music through apps. I plug mine in via USB on my 13TL (same stereo as MDX) with no issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts