Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I appreciate you all as you have helped with a few issues I have had with my 2011 MDX Advance.

Here is the latest and I can't seem to find anything that matches. Alternator died after a day and 700 miles with a check charging system light on. Battery was ran dead trying to get home. As everything started shutting down I got one after another warnings, SHAWD, ACC, ABS, ACC, etc. on at time. I had it towed and ordered parts. Alternator was replaced on Monday and battery on Tuesday since it could not be charged. Now that it is back up and running I can't seem to get any of the errors to go away. Alongside now my temp gauge is dead and passenger window won't go down from the drivers side. I have tried clearing codes via OBDII with no luck. I thought maybe a day of driving would solve it as the system would pick things back up, but no. I know it's long winded, but please help me not go to the stealership to get this resolved.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are too many things there. Let's break it down to just the window. If you don't have the right scanner to test the window regulator, you may have to open it up and manually check it. Check the power that goes to the regulator. Power the motor directly from the battery, just a short amount.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Window issue was solved today with the simple "up and down 4 times" trick. Never seen anything so bizarre in my 12 vehicle ownership.

This all makes me wonder if there is something as bizarre to get the other codes to clear. So I am down to SHAWD, Emissions, Trailer/Vehicle Stability, no ACC (but no code either), and a non working thermostat. Which is the only code that comes up on OBDII.

There are too many things there. Let's break it down to just the window. If you don't have the right scanner to test the window regulator, you may have to open it up and manually check it. Check the power that goes to the regulator. Power the motor directly from the battery, just a short amount.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Here are two separate sets of instructions:
1st...Getting and clearing the codes using the 7" nav screen:
a. press & hold...Cancel + map guide + menu simultaneously
b. use the big dial to select xm/hip
c. select "xm/hip ecu"
d. select "diagnostic"
e. view the list and select & delete each one
f. exit out... by repeatedly select "return" on the top of the screen.

2nd...If your keyless remote needs linked and setup:
a. sit in the MDX, with doors closed
b. press "lock" on the key
c. press lock & unlock together, once only
d. insert key and turn to ignition ii (the motor does not start at ignition ii)
e. on the steering wheel use 2 buttons "i" or "sel/reset" to do one of the following:
1. The "i" button allows you to scroll, but not change/save
2. The "sel/reset" button allows you to accept/save wheat you have highlighted.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do by where you are but if Washington metro area you are welcome to stop by and I can clear your codes with HDS software.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've tried the 1st part numerous times. Lights never go out and the messages just reappear. Hard to believe running the battery out would cause this much headache. I've checked all the fuses and they test fine. BTW, Keys work fine. Here is what I am seeing:

1.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You have check emission system light, which doesn't come up just because of a dead battery (SH-AWD and the rest - yes, as they are turned off).

You should address the check emission system first and go from there.

If this is really driving you crazy, I'd just go to Acura, pay them for proper diagnostics and get a resolution from them. They should list all of the things that need to be done. So you could do them on your own. That's what I always do when I need some sort of diagnostics I'm not able to run myself (like a smoke test, etc).

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Try to discount the battery and wait one minute. Give that a try. Does your car feels stumbling or shouldered when it come to a stop or idle? Another trick you could do is get on the expressway and drive it for about 15-30 minutes at a cruising speed. After that stop the car and discount the battery.

I have this messages frequently and that is how I got it to reset. In my case I think the fuel mixture is too rich and it is fouling the sensors. You need to get on the expressway and cruise between 60-80 mph and once in awhile you need to accelerate hard to flush out all carbon build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried the battery a few times over the last couple of days with no result. Funny thing is that is cruises just fine but has no pep in it's step. I have an appointment on Tuesday at the dealership, I'm out of ideas as to how to correct this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I've tried the battery a few times over the last couple of days with no result. Funny thing is that is cruises just fine but has no pep in it's step. I have an appointment on Tuesday at the dealership, I'm out of ideas as to how to correct this.
Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update for all. After a trip to the dealership (amazing experience), when I changed the alternator I apparently dislodged the wires to the thermostat. That error was preventing all the other errors to clear. Mechanic was able to track it down and mend the wires. I got a very good report on the condition of the car and only a reminder that my timing belt needs to be done in the next 20k miles. It was nice to make a 166 mile drive with my baby behaving like normal. Thanks to everyone for chiming in on possible solutions.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thermostat has wires?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd have liked to.have seen where I pulled it away. I'll try and take a look tomorrow and see what they actually fixed. Stay tuned.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts