Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Torque Converter

Just bought an 08 MDX from Acura 2000 in Brampton last week Wednesday...noticed right away something was wrong with the RPM and also a shuddering between 40-80kms...truck is driving in too low a gear. I have only put on 223 kms since picking it up and its guzzled 3/4 of a tank of gas:mad: told them right away, they said "can not replicate the problem" I brought it back in this morning and let them know its the Torque Converter...I am waiting for them to call me back and let me know when they are going to change it, thank god its covered under warranty! I also made sure to tell them to flush the tranny after they change the TC...really hoping this fixes the problem...I really love my MDX:(

·
Registered
90 Posts
New Torque Converter

I have a 2008. 68,000 miles. The car had a third gear solenoid replaced at 58,000, conveniently out of warranty.

The car has had a rough shift into 5th at low speeds. While driving around town, at 40 mph, there'd be a rough feel and the rpms would vary on the tach. Sounded like/felt like the car was lugging, if it were stick shift. I took to driving around town in "D3"

Dealer finds it has a bad torque converter. The only part that was distasteful was the way the dealer did it. I'm not naming the $tealership, so here is the conversation.

"We diagnosed the Truck-you need a new torque converter".

me-"What does that entail ?"

"I worked this up and the cost will be $2,440.00".

me-really ? I thought the powertrain warranty was up to 70k. I learned this when I found out a solenoid was not covered because it was electrical.

"oh.........let me check..........can I call you back ?"

me- sure.

(time passes)

Acura- " I checked and I found that it is covered. I saw you didnt have the extended warranty so I thought you were out of warranty...it was my error".

me- thank you. when will this take place.

Acura- a few days

me- so I can keep the loaner ?

Acura- of course.

Anyone here who thinks that this wasn't a set-up conversation, and thinks that the fact I answer my phone with "Law Office" didn't make any difference, please come to lower Manhattan for a great bridge opportunity :headshake I know my clients would not stand a $2400 error !

·
Registered
3 Posts
2008 Acura MDX Elite

So after the dealership's head tech acknowledge's it is the TC and I drop it off for the TC to be changed and the Tranny flushed, I call to check on the progress and get told they are not changing anything, and that the MDX is fine and the Service Mgr can't replicate the problem:headshake I am now taking my MDX to two other dealership's for test rides with their tech's and I am also getting written quotes on what is wrong with the truck. Dealership just doesn't want to honor the warranty:28: but they will have no choice! Never again will I use this dealer for anything...even if that means driving 45 minutes further from where I live to have it serviced at another dealer:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got my 2010 MDX back from getting the torque converter replaced at 21k miles. I originally took it in for surging around 50mph and loss of power (Seemed like a hundred horses died.). They ended up just replacing a battery system recall and said to bring it back in if the problem persisted. Once I brought it back they replaced the torque converter. So far so good although the power still doesn't seem to be what it was.

Prior to the 2010 I had a 2004 MDX which also needed a new torque converter at 50k miles. You would think after 6 years the problem would be solved.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a 2008. 68,000 miles. The car had a third gear solenoid replaced at 58,000, conveniently out of warranty.

The car has had a rough shift into 5th at low speeds. While driving around town, at 40 mph, there'd be a rough feel and the rpms would vary on the tach. Sounded like/felt like the car was lugging, if it were stick shift. I took to driving around town in "D3"

Dealer finds it has a bad torque converter. The only part that was distasteful was the way the dealer did it. I'm not naming the $tealership, so here is the conversation.

"We diagnosed the Truck-you need a new torque converter".

me-"What does that entail ?"

"I worked this up and the cost will be $2,440.00".

me-really ? I thought the powertrain warranty was up to 70k. I learned this when I found out a solenoid was not covered because it was electrical.

"oh.........let me check..........can I call you back ?"

me- sure.

(time passes)

Acura- " I checked and I found that it is covered. I saw you didnt have the extended warranty so I thought you were out of warranty...it was my error".

me- thank you. when will this take place.

Acura- a few days

me- so I can keep the loaner ?

Acura- of course.

Anyone here who thinks that this wasn't a set-up conversation, and thinks that the fact I answer my phone with "Law Office" didn't make any difference, please come to lower Manhattan for a great bridge opportunity :headshake I know my clients would not stand a $2400 error !
End of story...TQ replaced, and new trans fluid installed, DW-1. Car again runs smoothly and shifts better. I will be replacing all the trans fluid with the new DW-1. Why this failed at 68k, with easy use ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not so Fast Acura of Bedford Hills screws up again!!!

End of story...TQ replaced, and new trans fluid installed, DW-1. Car again runs smoothly and shifts better. I will be replacing all the trans fluid with the new DW-1. Why this failed at 68k, with easy use ??
So the car runs well....except for the puddle of ATF in the previously clean driveway. I'm off to Acura of Bedford Hills yet again, as they didn't do the job right. Between this and another job with defective coils, I've never had such bad luck with a repair shop. I don't know if they have bad training, or if they rush each job. I don't care either. I'm missing a paid Court appearance in the morning so I can play with the service department, and am fresh out of patience.

Every car has issues. My Ford/Mercury dealer fixed them. My Saab dealer fixed them. My BMW dealer even had the head of electronics for North America involved....and fixed the issue. Only with this car, the Acura, is the dealer the problem. I'd buy another Acura....but not from Acura of Bedford Hills.

I am going to write Corporate hq in Japan....I am willing to pay for translation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Traded in

Fixed my surging problem...traded in the 2010 MDX and bought a 2012. 1200 miles so far and transmission refinements are apparent. I have noticed mileage has dropped a couple of MPG, but winter mileage always seems to be a bit lower. Cautiously optimistic that things hold together...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Fixed my surging problem for free under warranty - Acura now has a software re-flash for the PCM rather than replacing the torque converter. They also have a fix for the Low Battery sensor problem - another software re-flash. MDX now better than new...and paid for. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
TSB Out for the Transmission and Shutter......Go to yor local Acura dealer...Its a software upgrade and a additive to the the Trans fluid......Good Luck!

Turboflyer1
09 MDX Tech

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have the RPM surging issues as described by the OP. I actually noticed it right after I had the TC software upgraded. Brought it in the first time and they told me they were not able to duplicate the problem. Brought it in again and had a tech ride along and we noticed the problem. Acura replace the Torque Converter under warranty. MDX felt good and actually felt like it gained some power back. Just today, about 4 days after new TC was installed, I am starting to notice the surging RPM's again. I am calling the dealer tomorrow. Getting frustrated:mad:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is great to see Acura taking care of the problem, but more importantly what is different or what has changed with the replacement torque converters that will prevent this problem from occuring in the future?

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG!!! This drives me crazy. I just purchased a 2011 MDX and the engine does exactly the same thing, especially on slight grades. I took into Acura for a problem with the sunroof, and was given a 2014 MDX loaner. To my surprise, the 2014 had that same jerking feeling when its shifting. I told the technician, it feels like I'm in a car driven by a person who is new to driving a stick-shift. A slowing down (while rpm increases) just before shift to the next gear. Any ideas???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2011 MDX and I'm having the same problems with the transmission. It feels like I'm driving a stick shift. The vehicle appears to slow down (while RPM increases) whenever it attempts to up from one gear to another. Last week, I took my MDX to the dealership for an issue, and was given a 2014 loaner. Sadly, I found that it too had the same jerky feeling when the transmission was shifting. I do like the look of my MDX, but I'm very disappointed with the engine's performance. I also have a 2000 Nissan Altima with 160k miles and it drives much smoother than my MDX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 just started doing this! I'm around 55,000 miles. I have driven all of those miles and never noticed it until about 3 weeks ago. I'm not due for service for a while, so I've been putting off a service visit, but it's really starting to get annoying. It's always between 45-55mph. Even on the slightest grade. I can watch the rpm needle jump from 1500-2000, and I can hear the engine rev trying to figure out which gear to use. I have just been punching the gas, but seriously, I shouldn't have to do that, and why is it just starting now?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone ever find an answer to the surge? I drove my wife's 2014 MDX on a road trip last week. It started as a rpm movement not quite as frequent as the U-Tube video but to the same degree. MY wife brought it in for an oil change and told them about the problem (she doesn't even recognize it - how crazy is that!?!). They claimed it was transmission electronic tuning that they did not have time to complete. I just drove it again and found the entire engine surging. It is not the A/C. It does not go away in S, using paddle shifters or just letting it shift at higher rpms. It feels like the fuel filter is plugging, but I doubt it would surge so consistently. There was no work performed just prior to it starting. I have 53k miles and have brought it in to the dealer every time and let them do all of the routine maintenance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone else gotten a resolution here ? I just bought a 2010 with 51K miles, well taken care of with every service record from a dealership. Trans fluid was changed and PCM reflashed at 28K miles. Surging and looks to me like its hunting for a sensor input. TC locks up solid on the highway, only does it under a load at 1500rpm, 35 to 50 mph. Every dealer I went to has no answer.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts