Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
@triggerx the torque converter wont ruin your car between now and your next oil change. I’m confident this problem is well known. I would call your dealership, tell them the problem you have and tell them to call you when they get a torque converter in. It took a few days for mine to get in. They had me riding around in a TSX wagon loaner car!

·
Registered
8 Posts
@mdxmiler the service tech you rode with is wrong. That is not normal operation. Tell him to contact the Acura Tech Line. They'll tell him what to do.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. With 18,500 miles on our 2010 MDX, it has begun "surging" while going up any type of grade. I had recently intalled a K&N engine air filter thinking that might be causing the problem so I switched back to the OEM filter - surging still there. RPMs fluctuate up and down approximately 200-300 RPMs - really annoying. I'll be mentioning the torque converter issue to the service dept. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a on going problem with these torque converters on all 10-12 cars... actually on a big back log and it can take up to 2 weeks to get a new part. Have seen this as early as 8K miles on the odo.

·
Registered
180 Posts
hmm..interesting. I took my '11 in for this exact problem - tech said Acura told them to do a transmission CPU update.... which didnt work.

Next time I have some free time, I'll take it in and point them at this thread

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having the same issue...searching for the problem led me to this thread. 2011 MDX...40 - 50mph while at a constant speed on even a slight incline, the RPMs surge. Also seems like my pick up just isn't the same as when I first got the car last year...not sure if that's just me getting used to it or if its part of the issue. Will be taking it in soon...just dread the "we can't reproduce the problem" responses.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been having the same problem over the last few weeks and researching brought me here also.. I have a 2011 with 12000 miles on it now. Will be calling dealer on monday..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just curious if anyone here w/ the surging issue has had the fluid changed before the surging started or is this all on the same factory fill fluid? Is there any correlation between build dates, like are all the cars w/ this issue built around the same time? I'm at 35k miles on my '10, built 2/10, and haven't noticed any of these symptoms yet. At 25k miles I had the tranny fluid replaced w/ the DW-1 which I'm guessing also goes into the tq converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad to find this thread. I had my 2010 MDX into the dealer with the same complaint a month ago and the response from the service representative is very similar to previous posts. My MDX started experiencing the surging between 40 - 50 MPH on a grade at about 17,000 miles. I'm currently approaching 20,000 miles. Sounds like another dealer appointment is in order.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Same issue here 2008 MDX

Everyone who is monitoring this thread closely, please note that this is not just affecting the 2010-2011 models.
My 2008 MDX is also having this exact same issue. I've taken this to my dealership and with their experienced technician of 20+ years has driven
with me while having is hand held computers connected to the vehicle. He was able to record the problem and send the data to Acura Canada.

Over a period of 4 months Acura Canada has decided to do a transmission torque convertor replacement. My vehicle is going in this Monday for 3 days.
I will let you know if this resolves the issue. So others that are having this issue please bring this to your dealers attention. I'm very lucky to have a knowledgeable and understanding dealership that is willing to go the extra mile with my complaints :)

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Service Update

Well its been almost a week and after they replaced the torque converter it seams that everything is working as it should be. I'll keep everyone posted if things change. Anyone interested in the work order please PM me for details.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ironic that less than a month ago I posted about not having any issues, should've knocked on wood. My wife mentions that on a hill near our house going about 40, she's experiencing the same surging. I tried to replicate it but at best only noticing a delay (almost felt like the engine lugging) for a few seconds before it shifted. I'm at the dealer now having that checked out along w/ a few other things so we'll see what they say. Of note, there's also a lady here w/ an '07 Tech/Ent and she got a notice in the mail from Acura about the torque converter.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Ironic that less than a month ago I posted about not having any issues, should've knocked on wood. My wife mentions that on a hill near our house going about 40, she's experiencing the same surging. I tried to replicate it but at best only noticing a delay (almost felt like the engine lugging) for a few seconds before it shifted. I'm at the dealer now having that checked out along w/ a few other things so we'll see what they say. Of note, there's also a lady here w/ an '07 Tech/Ent and she got a notice in the mail from Acura about the torque converter.
Just an update, shop foreman went for a ride and said it felt like the torque converter is slipping. New one has been ordered (along w/ rear passenger door lock actuator, passenger side fog/driving light, and Blizzak DM-V1's). Waiting for a call when everything comes in, said it will be about a week or two and the torque converter will take a few days to install.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I just purchased a 2010 and noticed the exact same thing from that video posted before. (revving close to 2000rpm around 50-55mph) I plan on brining this up the next time I head to the local Acura dealership for service. This thread has been very helpful! Thanks all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any solution to the surging RPMs?

Hey everyone... I take my MDX in tomorrow for it's A1 service (oil change)... and am going to talk to them about my surging RPM problem, as you all are experiencing. I saw a lot of people that were "going to take their MDX in" or "call Acura" or even had something done... and wanted to check in with you all. Was this problem ever resolved adequately for anyone on this thread (besides the one person that got the torque converter replaced)? Is there any service bulletin out for it? Was it indeed the torque converter? Or CPU reprogramming?

Any help is much appreciated, as I'd like to go into the service department armed with knowledge. Also, besides the surging RPMs, is anyone else noticing funny transmission things? I really feel that the transmission isn't as peppy as it once was... so much so that I wouldn't even call it peppy any more. Now it just shifts like any other truck I've driven (4Runner, Explorer, etc). :(

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Dropped mine off this morning (was given a '12 RDX for a loaner) they ordered a new torque converter & said should be done tomorrow. When I pick it up I'll ask if there was a tsb or any other software issues.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SKW:

I assume your converter swap out fixed the surging.

Did you get a TSB?

My 2010 Advance started surging at about 18K and now have 22K and it seems to be getting worse with more mileage.

Thank-you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
SKW:

I assume your converter swap out fixed the surging.

Did you get a TSB?

My 2010 Advance started surging at about 18K and now have 22K and it seems to be getting worse with more mileage.

Thank-you.
It does feel smoother now but I have to ask my wife to pay closer attention to the hills that it used to surge in as she has it most of the time. Also, since the swap, I've been more annoyed by other problems that have "appeared".

Dropped it of on a Tuesday, they replaced the torque converter, right fog/driving light assembly, rear passenger door actuator, & mount/balance a new set of Blizzak DM-V1's. No mention of a tsb bit I'll ask when I go back (read on). I picked it up Friday morning & as they pull it up, I hear a squealing that wasn't there before, like a belt or something. Called the SA outside, he hears it, asks if I can wait for the techs to come in but I was already late for work & was late earlier that week when I dropped it off. In hindsight, I should've left it and took the loaner back out. Anyway, I just said I'd call later. Later that evening after work, squealing is gone but I was getting a weird vibration thru the steering wheel & pedals as well as a high pitch whine that went up & down w/ the rpm's, almost like when you're out of power steering fluid. Called up, described everything, said bringing it back tomorrow. Saturday after work, of course no noise. Drove around for a bit & sure enough it came back. On the way to the dealer, stop for gas, fill up, start it again, noise is gone. Getting pissed, I drove around a bit longer & it came back. Driving into the service bay, I tell the valet guy not to touch it & let it idle while I get the SA. He comes out, says just low on steering fluid which I question what does that have to do w/ the torque converter. He says front subframe incl steering rack had to come out. The tech that originally worked on it was in, took it right in. Waiting... waiting...

·
Registered
242 Posts
2.5 hrs later (thank goodness for Netflix streaming on my phone) they tell me the bearings on the power steering pulley dried up & the replaced the pulley & the power steering pump. Go to get in my car, seat doesn't move. Hmmm... I press setting 2, nothing. Setting 1 is my wife's, still nothing even though I have key 2 w/ me. Buttons not even lit up but can still move the seat w/ switches on the side. Get out, lock, reopen steering wheel doesn't even move. Get the SA to come outside, he fiddles around for a bit, then says has to order a passenger side mirror actuator which is messing w/ the seat memory. Asks when can I come back. I say to fix this or for a whole new car? Already did the driver mirror actuator & 2 other lock actuators on top of everything they just did the past few days. So I have an appt this Monday coming. I know it won't leave my family stranded on the side of the road but all this other stuff is getting annoying. Esp the HFL only holding 1000 contacts.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Seems more and more like a gear hunting/transmission issue than a surging issue. Acura's reputation with automatic transmissions in their MDX line isn't the greatest, which brings us to the "new for 2010 6-speed full-time AWD automatic." The rpm bouncing/gear hunting in our 2010 Tech is really getting annoying now. I'm printing this entire thread to serve as evidence for the "skeptics" in the Service Dept. :mad:

21 - 40 of 77 Posts