Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks-
I recently traded in my 2007 MDX (which I owned for less than 2 years and sunk $5,550 into!) for a 2010 MDX Advance w/ RES. The day I drove it home, I was backing into my driveway (which is a decent incline) and it stalled on me and gave me a Check Charging System light. So I restarted, pulled out of my drive way and tried it again. Same thing. I took it to the dealership to have a dent repaired as part of my purchase agreement and told them about the issue. They said it's typically an alternator but after running diagnostics it and the battery put out perfect readings. So, 2 weeks went by and it almost happened again while in drive yesterday (on an incline IN TRAFFIC), then it did stall in drive today in my drive way. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm at a loss and losing confidence in driving my 2010 MDX. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Very weird... Seems that the engine could be flooding with gas due to improper mappings?
In a side note what happened that you had to put 5550 bucks into your 07? I am 2 years in and I have yet to break 500bucks with normal maintenance and new front shocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'm taking it to my local Acura dealer this week...very frustrated. My '07 had a lot of issues (catalytic converter, struts, timing belt, water pump, sensors, etc.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE...and more frustration...

After taking it to my Acura dealer, they identified the problem as a faulty crank position sensor, which they replaced free of charge (all frustration aside, Acura service is second to none). HOWEVER, the car was running very rough yesterday (hard transition between gears on expressway, etc) and eventually stalled in my driveway, which is on an incline. The "Check Charging System" light flashed quickly, but not long enough to register in the Messages section.
Luckily I was able to record the stalling process, so hopefully that helps identify the problem. I'm at a loss, but have ANOTHER call in to Acura service. The mystery continues...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Could the battery be marginal?

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Dont think the battery is the issue, The generous 130A Alternator should be sufficient to withstand all the load even with a weak battery.. Perhaps if there wasn´t any battery at all?

Perhaps is more to the crank sensor? maybe the wiring?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would get the fuel pump checked. I believe the fuel filter is built into the pump so maybe replace that. Fuel supply is one of the things affected by gravity and a weak/faulty fuel pump can cause the car to stall on inclines. I think the "check charging system" might be a red herring here and simply a result of the car stalling and not the cause.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree, the battery is pretty powerful here so I doubt it is a problem. To be honest a lot of different causes, hard to say. My friend from DSRLeasing had similar issues in one of his older Acuras, maybe I'll ask him and drop few ideas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks. Taking it back to the dealership early next week. Almost stalled on me again last night with my kids in the car. Losing faith in the MDX...perhaps a Highlander next!? The dealership seems to think the "Check Charging System" is just a code being thrown up at stall (like GumballWaterson suggested) but not related, because the battery, etc. are putting out perfect readings. I'm going to make sure they thoroughly inspect the fuel pump/filter...seems to be a likely culprit considering an incline causes the stall. The most frustrating part is the fact it STILL HAS TEMP TAGS ON IT! But, thankful that Acura Service is being so cooperative and willing to inspect/fix at no cost. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Did you figure out what was wrong with your MDX?

I haven't yet, I am planning on replacing the PCV valve, I have been reading that this could cause this issue and it has never been replaced. I will update once I have replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does the vehicle stall when the front is facing down the incline?
Sorry it has taken me a while to reply. Yes, the nose is pointing down the incline, when backing up the driveway. By the way, I was able to get the PCV valve replaced and the issue still remains. I have also just cleaned the throttle body and performed the TPS Relearn using Honda HDS. Still no change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts