Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mdx "clunks" and bounces when going over rough roads. Dealer says left front strut assembly needs to be replaced. Part 51602-STX-A58 which is $1500 part alone and my regular mechanic says he can't install as it is computerized. However Honda says I can buy a regular strut for it that will drive the same for $120 but doesn't have "damper" so a warning light will stay lit. I don't understand the price difference and what the damper and computer part is. I don't want to drop 1500 if it will drive the same. Help.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Search is your friend...

In a nutshell, the $1500 shock from Acura (which does actually seem high compared to what I've seen) allows you to keep the ability to switch between comfort and sport modes. The $120 shock does not have that capability, its just a regular old shock. I've heard (and read) that it feels in the middle of comfort and sport mode. And you would need to install a resistor to shut off the warning light or else it will stay on forever.

There have been plenty of people who have switched over to the normal shocks and considering you asked what the sport damper is, I don't think you've ever switched between those two modes anyways, so therefore you won't miss/notice that capability.

Oh, and I would consider changing both sides when you have it done. It's usually best to change them in pairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admit. I haven't ever "switched" between these modes. How do you do that? I thought it was automatic. If I switch to regular shocks, would I need to replace front and rear both sides. What is part number for regular shocks or I are they the same shocks on mdx sold without tech / sport package. I have a tech package 2010.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wait, do you have the Tech Package or Sport Package (it was called the advanced package 2010+) ? The Tech and Sport Packages are not the same.

If you have the tech pack there is no special dampers so therefore no button to switch modes. On the sport/advanced pack there is a button right by the shifter. Either way the regular shocks will work just fine but if you don't have the sport/advance package there is no need to buy the complete assembly.. Just buy the shock.

PartNo: 51606-STX-A05 (Left shock)
PartNo: 51605-STX-A05 (Right Shock)

Its #8 and 9 in the diagram and this seems to be the cheapest price I've found.. Genuine Acura OEM Automotive Parts Catalog - Bernardi Parts

Hopefully that thread and this will help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts