Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 2010 MDX with the tech package in July of last year after having had a great experience with a 2008 MDX.

However, for the last several months my wife and I have been puzzled and are now increasingly concerned by a knocking sound coming from the engine or transmission of our 2010 MDX. I mentioned the issue at my B1 service back in June and was told it was likely bad gas after a ride with the dealers technician who mentioned that he heard a slight knock. The dealer recommended a fuel injector service which added $163.35 to the B service bill. Needless to say the issue was not resolved by the service or changing gas suppliers and grade. The noise is getting worse and tonight while waiting for my wife I googled "2010 MDX engine noise" and found this site among other MDX sites where it appears that this problem is not unique but appear endemic to this model year.

A lot of the posts are from late last year and earlier this year and I am wondering if this problem has been fixed to anyone's satisfaction by Acura yet and what was found to be the issue.

I also noted in several posts here and at other sites that some owners are being told it is normal or that dealer cannot reproduce the noise. Having driven the 2008 MDX for several years I cannot believe this noise is normal.

Since describing the issue to the dealer did nto help them pinpoint the issue I captured, using my iPhone's video camera, the noise during slow acceleration this evening. I have posted the video to YouTube (
). I apologize for the poor quality if anyone views it but it was a spur of the moment thought since the sound had occurred several times during the course of the evening. If you turn the sound up on the video you can clearly hear the ping/rattle which I assume is the similar to what everyone else is reporting.

I'm hoping this is resolvable and someone can point me to the TSB or a post where the solution is outlined.

Thanks in advance.

2010 MDX owner

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh, so that's what "pinging noise" sounds like. I keep hearing the post and not sure of it. I "sometimes" get this in my 2011 Tech MDX of 7800 miles. Obviously, I use only premium.
I had this in my GS300 and after trying to blame me for using Regular Gas, they ultimately fixed something.... AHHH it's somewhere in my head. I have to try to remember and let you know.

Thanks for sharing the sound via the phone!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Thanks for posting the sound. That sure sounds like pinging. Did they connect the engine scanner and verified that the pinging sensor was detecting it..? Acura, with their engine scanners, they should know if it is engine knocking, and with their stethoscopes, they should be able to detect what part of the engine it is coming from...

Have you put some octane booster? Just wondering if that makes any effect. Higher octane (93+), will not boost engine performance because the engine timing is not adjusted to take advantage of it, but if for some reason your engine timing is advanced(thus producing pinging), then the octane booster should help diminish/eliminate the pinging. I will try that just for eliminating a possibility or for gathering more data...

Do you have any engine performance loss when you drive? Does this happend at high and low RPMs?

If there is any engine parameter issue, Acura should be able to pick this up from analyzing the engine parameters with their scanners... If there is one experienced mechanic that knows Acura engines in detail...

AC

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
Have you put any non-premium fuel in your tank? That would be the most likely cause. Stick to premium fuel, which is what is recommended by Honda for the MDX. That means 92-94 octane east of the Rockies.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yep, there are a handful of people experiencing this problem. Some think it is the use of bad gas (or improper octane) at some point in the cars life, some think it comes from the new 6 speed, and some think it is a different problem.

I've been keeping an ear out for this sound appearing on mine and I have yet to hear it. I got my car with only 15 miles on it and the only thing to go in the tank has been 93 octane premium so if it does appear on mine then I can rule out (in my mind at least) that it is gas related.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem with my 2011 MDX. I've had the dealer look at it twice, with no resolution. I've also tried every brand of gas, have never put anything less than premium in the tank, etc. To make matters worse, this seems to be a performance issue, not just a noise issue. When the pinging is most pronounced, the engine is noticeably sluggish. The question is whether Acura will acknowledge it has a problem and come out with a fix. Until that happens, I am telling anyone who listen to stay away from the MDX, which is a shame because it's otherwise a great vehicle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree NoNeckJoe. My other 2011 mdx with this noise issue seem to have noticeably performance issues also. I would characterize as feeling like I'm pulling an anchor when I'm off the gas. You would actually feel the mdx pulling you back into your seat. I believe the correct word is lugging or bogging down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
same exact problem here. 2011 mdx w/ tech. 4600km
I have appointment setup with dealorship tmr morning...
told them its not the gas problem since, only gas my car drank was
shell v-power from day 1...
I am curious as what they will say.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I did not hear anything in that video that sounded anything near pinging. And yes, I do have experience with pinging.

In 1960 I took a 1959 Buick Invicta to Okanawa. ( I did not receive my sponsors letter telling me not to take a late model, good car to that Island.) On Okanawa they only had "poor" gas. That Invicta had a 300hp(as it was rated in those days), high compression engine. I had to be very careful on ANY acceleration to keep from getting "pinging". I had many months of listening to that before I was able to sell the car.

One tank of "bad" gas at some time in a vehicle's life will not cause the described problem. It can also be caused by a "hot" spot in a cylinder.

I seriously doubt that what you are hearing has anything to do with the typical cylinger knocking.

George

PS If it was "pinging" it would occur even more during moderate and high acceleration than it would during low acceleration.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
That is exactly right..!! If it is pinging, it will happen during heavy load and it will get worst, upto critical, upon acceleration and you could feel the engine performance being impacted.

If you don't have an issue at higher RPM's/loads, then you really don't have an issue. Every engine brand/make has a particular sound. My MDX Adv has a metallic tingling sound, which is normal to Acura vehicles that I have driven and even to my wife's TL, which I like and it is just the normal engine sound and not anything to worry..

On my old Mercedes SUV's, you will not hear these kind of noises because the power steering whines and the loud valving sounds will fully overpower any other noises.. And Mercedes always stated that those loud noises are perfectly normal in their engines... If that was normal, you should hear them when they had a problem.. really embarrasingly loud..!!

AC

George

PS If it was "pinging" it would occur even more during moderate and high acceleration than it would during low acceleration.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That sound looks to me like injector issue. It all comes from the gas. Octane does not matter. This what I would do is next time you plan a long trip get a good fuel sistem cleaner and put it for half a tank to 3/4 tank of gas. I do not try to safe on gas on long trips and usually I drive it like I stole it. You need a good flow there. If you want you can fill it in the night before and let it soak everything in the sistem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm glad it's not only my car that have a pinging noise once in awhile. I took back to the dealer last year but they have found nothing. I have to live with it then.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any more updates on this? I just posted in the noises and sounds section with the exact same issue. Always running premium gas.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My 2010 MDX doesn't even like 91 Premium. If I step on the gas I hear a light metallic knock. When I put in the 94 premium then it runs fine. This is after having the Acura service bulletin 'fix' with firmware. It's been that way for a couple years now so I'll live with it until it's time to change cars. Still think it's crazy that Acura could have this problem.
It's not a Ferrari.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts