Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got that HD Dash Cam for Christmas.......finally decided to install. It just mounts over the rear view mirror. Very nice unit for the price. Easy peezy.

I can run the power cord around the windshield molding....which will still show some wire.....not professional, to the fuse box or the cigarette lighter.

I thought I read somewhere where you can get power from the rear view / interior lights. Has anyone installed using power from that area? Is it recommended or will it put a power surge on the circuit?

The Acura MDX can be a very sensitive motor car at times....

Help...Thanks...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know there's power in the mirror and top console. But still need to know if you can get power to drive dash cam. If so, how to remove cover and which wires to use? I can start fumbling around, but I prefer not to do that.

Any one install a dash cam and used upper console to get power?

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
I was too much of a chicken to install my front/rear Blackvue DR650 dash-cam myself and took it to an local audio place to install. They ran the wires down to the fuse box near the dead pedal in the driver's foot-well.

I run my Dashcam in parking mode. Are you only going to use your camera when driving only? Parking mode saved my from a hit/run in a Walgreens parking lot late at night. I didn't notice the damage to my MDX until the next morning pulling out of my garage. Ran back the footage and sent it to my insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried this--and here's a big warning. The dash cam that I had was not 12v. It was 5v. So, as soon as I hardwired it into my lights, I fried the dash cam. That little cigarette lighter plug apparently brings the power down from 12v to 5v

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was too much of a chicken to install my front/rear Blackvue DR650 dash-cam myself and took it to an local audio place to install. They ran the wires down to the fuse box near the dead pedal in the driver's foot-well.

I run my Dashcam in parking mode. Are you only going to use your camera when driving only? Parking mode saved my from a hit/run in a Walgreens parking lot late at night. I didn't notice the damage to my MDX until the next morning pulling out of my garage. Ran back the footage and sent it to my insurance.
ugh.. my truck was plowed into by a drunk when it was parked at a bar. i didnt notice until the next day when i went to the grocery store and took a sharp turn... the wheel rubbed on the bumper. god that pissed me off.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, thanks for the info......Looks like I will continue to just plug into cig lighter. I didn't think it could be connected to the mirror power console. Oh well...it's a cheapy HSN HD Dashcam.....didn't get it for dash movies.....I do love the rearview mirror that cam with it. It's better than factory mirror. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Good warning re the voltage, I had planned to hardwire mine either to the center console or the fuse box. I’ll need to check the Camera’s voltage & perhaps hardwire a U-Plug out of site under the dash. I probably would have forgotten to check the voltage & fried my cam so thanks for the reminder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: I used a 12v/5v converter with a fuse adapter and plugged it into the horn circuit to get an always-on connection. This worked well for parking mode and when driving; however, there is a disruption in the power when the engine restarts when the idle stop is engaged. Does anyone know what circuit I can plug into that is always-on and not disrupted by the idle stop restart? 2018 MDX Advance SH-AWD. TIA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.