Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to change the MDX center consoles doors again. Bad design. They wear out every 3 or so years. This time can't afford the entire doors, so I elected to get the covers and do the DIY thing myself. Has anyone in here done this DIY? Is it difficult if so, how difficult? ( 1 -- 10 ) Any gotchas that need to be identified? What are some of the things to watch out for? How long did it take? They use to have a good Youtube Video.....but I think it's gone. Any help would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
749 Posts
This YouTube video shows how to separate each of the two console sides, in to a top piece and a bottom piece..
MDX Console Repair

Go to a craft/hobby store and get some CLEAR double sided tape that is 1/4" inch tall. The clear tape is a lot thinner than the white tape.
I got mine at Tandy Leather Craft, for $9
Get your faux leather covers from e-bay, for under $20

I used red automatic transmission gasket maker, to glue 3 each 3/4" x 2" wooden blocks in to the (cavities) on the back side of the console, as you see at the :24 second mark of the above video.

I made sure that the wood was low enough, so that the bottom piece of plastic could line up and be flush, with the top piece of plastic, before I glued the wood in to place.
I let them dry overnight.

I held the bottom plastic and top plastic together and drilled 3 holes into the wood, without drilling all the way through the top piece's padded surface.

I put a single layer of the tape around the underside/inside/hidden edge of the top piece of plastic and stretched the cover over it. I stuck the faux leather edges on to the tape. Finally, I lined up the bottom piece and screwed in some screws, to sandwich everything together. I don't remember if I used 1/2" or 3/4" inch long screws, but you'll be able to tell, when you are holding the assembled section together.

Cutting the wood in to 6 small chunks was the hardest part.

I a few years, when I have to redo it, I just have to take out the screws and get new faux leather.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking for a worn center console lid to practice on. If anyone has a worn console lid one that they do not need, I would be interested. Thank you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Idk what you guys do to centre consoles but it’s been 9 years 170 km and it looks the same as day one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Idk what you guys do to centre consoles but it’s been 9 years 170 km and it looks the same as day one.

Then again I do have the upgraded merino leather if that makes a difference or holds up any better than the standard. (Umber brown interior, and I take good care of it. )

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I think you just have some defect or something. For my 2008 MDX Tech with 162K miles the material is still fine (and I'm constantly resting my right elbow on the console.

The only thing that happened - after glue gave up, the material started to come out from under the lids.

You can disassemble the lids and reglue the material, but it's too much hassle for me for now, so here's a simple and quick solution I applied to resolve the issue. Holds up for about a year before it starts to come out again:

May be one day I'll just reglue the material.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a Toyota 4-Runner with twice as many miles and double the age as the MDX......no armrest problems.......But you have to understand, an Acura, especially the MDX, will never hold up as good as a Toyota. The MDX has many many mickey mouse little problems. From Trannies to rear doors....you name it. Nice auto, but cheaply materials and build.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
While I agree on the reliability and longevity (after all, Toyota is #1 manufacturer in the world), but they simply do not have any MDX rival to this day (nothing that has similar combination of features in this class that will be as fun to drive). I have also not heard any transmission issues for the second gen - this is a solid transmission unless you get the coolant mixed in, but that's not a transmission issue - it's a common issue that is basically saving measure for a lot of car manufacturers, including Mercedes, BTW. It's easily avoidable.

As for materials, again, not saying they are better than Lexus, but I'm pretty sure you got some defect in your armrest. I don't know what mileage you have, but them wearing out every 3 years is beyond reasonable. Again, on my 12 yo car with 162K miles the material still has no wearing marks. Are you sure you had the original material there when you bought the car? May be someone redone it before you, or you got the car new?

·
Registered
749 Posts
The #1 reason for these car forums is to get help fixing things and saving money on basic maintenance.
I think that replacing the faux leather on the console is basic maintenance.

I can not speak to the all great and wonderful Toyoya's lack of maintenance, but I do like that they use 87 test gas and have a dual injection (DI & PFI called D4-S) system, on their newer 2015+ 6 cylinder engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts