Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2010 MDX and the brakes are shuttering. I have 110,000 miles and need to replace or turn the front rotors. The rotors have never been turned before. Since I plan to keep the car a while I am leaning towards replacing the rotors, although this will be more expensive. I am considering upgrading to an aftermarket rotor that is vented. The acura mechanic recommended this over the stock rotor. Im looking at EBC and Stop Tech. I wanted to get the thoughts about pads and rotors from the group. BTW This is not a performance oriented vehicle its a soccer mom car in an area with lots of hills.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Both are good.. I would lean towards EBC since they use better Steel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't waste your time or money turning rotors.....Replace them. You don't need vented or drilled. The MDX is not a race car. Standard rotors work just as good as you need. I would consider premium pads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The acura mechanic mentioned ventilated or "drilled" rotors were better able to dissipate heat. We often have long mountain decents traveling to lake Tahoe and Yosemite frequently. Where we live there are also a lot of hills that can cause brakes to become overheated. He stated this is why he sees warped rotors in our area. Is there a reason to avoid drilled rotors, in your opinion?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Warping is always caused by bad brake pads, not rotors... Use better brake pads if you are doing lots of downhill, EBC Green Stuff HD highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Lots of things can warp rotors...cheap materials, excessive heat, water splash, or just the fact they run out over time. They can also be caused by tire "techs" improperly tightening the lug nuts with the air ratchets.

Considering the OEM's have lasted 110k miles, it seems like they've performed well. Not sure why you'd think something else would perform better. Our MDX doesn't have any rotor issues at 100k miles but I have a Toyota sitting here with 50k and they've been vibrating for awhile now. Driven on same roads, same way. I won't put OEM rotors back on it but that's exactly what I do with the MDX when the time comes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts