Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to floor my 2010 MDX this morning taking off from a red light and it just lost the power to take off and suddenly got all these warnings on the dash and NAV display. Luckily i was still very close to home and decided to go back home and got my Sienna. Does anyone have a clue as to what this could indicate? See attached photos

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely past due on my oil change and will go from there before anything else and will post an update.

Thank you very much for the clue

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

So i checked my engine oil and i was shocked to see that the oil had completely dried out. Yes, i mean dried out, nothing on the dip stick. There are NO leaks anywhere. I had missed my oil change due date/miles only a few hundred miles NOT like two cycles. I have missed oil changes for more than one cycle on other vehicles but never seen the oil dry out. I could've blew that motor. Thanks to my instinct to return home. I added 4 1/2 quarts of oil and the Engine System:p2646, CHECK SH-AWD SYSTEM messages disappeared. The CHECK EMISSION SYSTEM message stayed on even after filling up and making sure the gas cap was secured. I removed the negative battery terminal and reconnected after about 30 minutes and it's been gone now for 2 days. However, it is now displaying the B14 code.

I was advised of Timing Belt, Spark Plugs, Filter, Brakes, and Alignment service due during my last oil change in March. The Spark Plug and Timing Belt service were still pending before all these started happening. Will be doing those services this weekend.

Has anyone ever had their oil dry out? I wonder what type of oil would dry out with NO leaks. Please, advise.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Sounds like you have the oil burning issue that mainly effects the +10 MDXs. I think it is caused by oil getting pass the cylinder rings and burning during combustion. Not much you can do other than check on a regular basis to figure out how much oil you are burning between changes. I use around 1 quart between my 7500-8500 oil change intervals for my 11 MDX with almost 120,000 miles. Hopefully, you didn't do more damage running the MDX with low oil for so long.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Wow 4.5 quarts. My entire oil change including filter is 5 quarts so you were truly out of oil. Hopefully any residual oil/film protected things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts