Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Forum,
I'm purchasing a 2009 MDX w/ 107,000 miles.
I've got all of the recent maintenance history (since 56,000 miles).
All that's been done is oil changes, air / cabin filters, brakes, wipers, and tires.
I know what should've been done...

I called a local Acura dealer in Pittsburgh to discuss the maintenance, and they recommended getting all of the "scheduled" maintenance done, except the transmission fluid.
They said that it could do more damage than good to replace the transmission fluid at this point in time.

I'm questioning this logic, but a Lexus dealer told me the same thing on a 75,000 mile GX470.
On the Lexus, I had it done anyways (complete replacement using the ATF cooler lines and the internal pump, not drain and fill), and it has shifted a little better since it was done (5,000 miles).
Note: The Lexus has "lifetime" ATF, but IMO, no fluid is "lifetime".

So, what would you recommend I do?
Drain and fill 3 times (3+ Quarts, what is typically recommended on the forum)?

1/2 Drain and 1/2 Fill (2 Quarts instead of 3+ Quarts) to start?

Complete replacement using the ATF cooler lines and the internal pump?

Has anyone on this forum had an issue with changing the transmission fluid on a higher mileage MDX where it caused problems?
Or, does anyone know of this actually happening / being a problem?

Note: I did search the forum for about 1 hour and didn't find this topic.

Thank you for your assistance.
Tom

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
#FACEPALM

Dealership is very stupid... Do not go there ever.
Transmission ATF "Change Myths" have never, ever applied to Hondas. ATF life is essential to keep a long lifespan on Honda transmissions so keeping old ATF in there is causing harm, always! Unless your transmission is already failing changing the ATF wont do any harm.

So do the 3x3, You can also do the ATF Line change if you know how to do it as its faster..
I would do 3x3 as its easier on the transmission and will clean any deposits overtime than drastically changing all the old ATF for new.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Agree. You do want to get the old fluid out. Doing the 3 changes with 50 to 100 miles in between will give the detergents in the fresh fluid some time to do their work.

Don't forget the brake, differential, and transfer case fluids.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
I would also do the power steering fluid also.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts