Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
First post from a 4 year reader. We own an 09 MDX that is experiencing some problems. I will try to describe the situation.

2009 MDX with 95,000 miles.
2 months ago the wife reports a check transmission message although the car drove fine.
I check the fluid and it appears ok. I remind myself to change the fluid as we bought the car second hand and it's most likely due.
Our busy lives rock on until a few days ago.
The wife calls me and the car will not start.
I see corrosion on the post of the Optima battery that is now 40 months old.
I attempt to remove the negative terminal end and the entire post leans over and partially detaches from the battery!!
Of course the battery is out of warranty and I replace it with a traditional wet cell.
The car still will not crank over so I do not have time to deal with it and a reputable local mechanic gets it.
I flat tow it less than 1 mile to the mechanic. In neutral with the key on of course.
He replaces the starter and all is well.
Now he calls me and says the car will not go in reverse and a check transmission light and code P0874 is in the info center.
It will drive in forward gears although it shifts extremely firm. I drove it 1 mile home. He (we) cant find a connection to a starter replacement and trans problems. He looked it over as have I and see no harmed wiring etc.

So P0874 appears to be a 3rd gear PSI switch. My local auto store will have one in the morning and I have already remove the original and started the car for 2 seconds to flush fluid from that port area.

Anyone think the repetitive battery connecting and disconnecting has harmed the electronics?

Can a P0874 even relate to reverse?

Does the trans go into a limp or self defense and max out the line PSI and eliminate reverse?

Anything I'm missing?

HELP!!!!

If you read all that...thanks have a drink on me!!

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info.
First of all I was mistaking about the code numbers.
The car is storing the following codes:
P0847 with a date of Dec/22/2003????
P0974 with a date of Dec/31/2004???? This code does have some verbiage about reverse not working.
All wheel drive 77

I replaced the third gear pressure switch with one from a local auto parts store with no change.
I spoke with a service guy at my closest Acura dealer and his diagnostic info over the phone at least points to an electrical problem (TCM?) not necessarily mechanical.

More to come.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it's repaired. It was a electrical harness internal to the trans (part 28360-rdk-003) had a connector come apart and also had a faulty shift solenoid (part 28250-rdk-014). I also asked them to perform the trans fluid flush while they had it.
Parts, labor, flush, tax= $1040.00

Glad its fixed and guess it coulda been worse

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Well, it's repaired.....
Parts, labor, flush, tax= $1040.00

Glad its fixed and guess it coulda been worse
'

glad its resolved- on the bright side, if you had this particular work done at an actual Acura stealership, total cost would have likely been in the $1800-$2500 range! (inclusive of a potential pitch to add on an additional $130 for them to change your cabin air filter- which you can do yourself for free in less than 5 minutes along with about $10 spent on a very cable after market filter from Amazon!) :surprise:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it was performed at an Acura dealer. I had a great experience with Acura of Mobile, Alabama. They kept me abreast of the troubleshooting and repaired the car as affordably as possible (for a dealer).
Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Actually it was performed at an Acura dealer. I had a great experience with Acura of Mobile, Alabama. They kept me abreast of the troubleshooting and repaired the car as affordably as possible (for a dealer).
Thanks
Glad to hear- allow me to correct my previous statement/assumption- if you had taken your 2nd gen. MDX to a qualified, reputable independent (non stealership) service repair shop, then the chances are likely high that this same repair would have cost approximately $500 or less (parts, labor, tax etc.). :29:

·
Registered
2 Posts
More info.
First of all I was mistaking about the code numbers.
The car is storing the following codes:
P0847 with a date of Dec/22/2003????
P0974 with a date of Dec/31/2004???? This code does have some verbiage about reverse not working.
All wheel drive 77

I replaced the third gear pressure switch with one from a local auto parts store with no change.
I spoke with a service guy at my closest Acura dealer and his diagnostic info over the phone at least points to an electrical problem (TCM?) not necessarily mechanical.

More to come.
Hi. I have exactly the same experience which happened on March 1. The car just failed to start and it was ruled to be the starter. Starter was changed but right after that, check transmission was shown on the dash and it gave us the P0974 code. While car is at Park, the D is flashing. Also, the 2008 Acura MDX now has no reverse. Please advise.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have exactly the same experience which happened on March 1. The car just failed to start and it was ruled to be the starter. Starter was changed but right after that, check transmission was shown on the dash and it gave us the P0974 code. While car is at Park, the D is flashing. Also, the 2008 Acura MDX now has no reverse. Please advise.
Any update?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts