Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m looking to upgrade vehicles, and I’ve narrowed my search to three options. Two are Acura MDX. I’m curious as to what are the differences between the 2009 and 2012 models? Pros and cons for each? Basically, anything I might need to know about each before buying.
The ‘09 has about 50,000 more miles (approximately (150000) on it than the ‘12 (approximately 100,000). They both have been serviced regularly with no accidents. They are ever the same color. The biggest difference I see is the price ($8000 vs $14000).
Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Trim packages and Tech upgrades on the 12" make it far superior feature wise.
But most important to me.. 12" can have oil consumption issues that the 09" wont so pick your poison.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the info. I’m not too worried about tech and fancy interior stuff. I’m more worried about dependability.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
These engines can easily hit 500K with proper maintenance so if you are deciding by the mileage factor? Those 50k are not an issue if the car has been well maintained. Just remember to check for Timing Belt procedures on both of them.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
The "105K/7year service" is a major engine maintenance item that is meant to be done either when hitting 105,000 miles or 7 years use (whichever comes first)..

This major item is a +1000bucks item (If done at the dealership) and its often a huge deciding factor when buying a Honda V6. The timing belt is the heart of the motor and if it fails its often a total loss to the engine, So both of those cars should have this item already done if you can find the receipt or maintenance records about it? you can save yourself a lot of money when buying either of the two... If you CANT find any records of it? its better to add it in your invoice right away, If the cars are being sold by a dealership you can usually use that as a price negotiation item.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thank you for the info. I’ll recheck the Car Fax to see if it’s been completed already. Is this only a one time thing that needs to be done?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Every 105K/7years.

So next one is at 210K - 315K - 420K - etc..
Or 7 years - 14 years - 21 years - etc..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gotcha. Thanks again for the info.
I did check the car fax service records, and there was nothing specifically mentioning timing belt. It did mention the transmission had been checked and serviced.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech
1 Posts
Hey Gatorfan9, i have an 08 Tech package for sale with low miles if you're looking for a well cared for MDX. All services have been completed as well. Check my posts and message if you are interested

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The 07-09 MDX will have issues with:
  • bluetooth module draining battery (a lot of folks disconnect instead of fixing)
  • trans fluid mixing with coolant in radiator (replace radiator is the fix)
  • Sport models will have magnetic active dampers that leak, sag, and/or knock. Can cost $500-$800 per corner to fix.
The 10-13 MDX will have issues with:
  • Same issue with the active damper system as the 07-09 Sport; but, on the Adv models only
  • Oil consumption issues that can be as bad as 1 qt per 500-1000 miles during the 9000 mile oil change interval. My 11 MDX has been holding steady with +141,000 miles at 1 qt per 9000 mile oil change with Mobil 1.
The 07-13 MDX will all have the occasional issues with:
  • leaky P/S rack and/or pump
  • alternator (age related)
  • corroded battery cables (age related)
  • door/hatch actuators
  • key fob range
  • reverse tilt feature with side mirrors
  • stuck 2nd row cup holder
I liked the styling and updated tech with the +10 models; especially, the adv+ent models with active dampers with comfort/sport modes, 19" rims, larger front/rear stabilizer bars, ACC, BSI, CMBS, ACC, load leveling headlights, 3 level heated/cooled front seats, and rear seat heaters (Ent only).

The tech models are the sweet spot for the 2nd Gen because you can then add Navtool for Carplay to update the info-tainment system. I really like the the extra tech of the Advance model and get a lot use from the cooled seats, Blind spot monitoring, and Active cruise control when traveling (Collision Mitigation Braking System has kicked in a few times and worked as designed perfectly).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I owned a 2008 XC90 V8. Purchased with 90k miles, sold it at 170k miles about 2 years later. I absolutely loved everything about that car but did not love the reliability. Obviously I wasn't expecting perfection with a car at that mileage. Beyond the basic maintenance and replacing of parts due age/useage, I had a full transmission replacement at 120k miles (which was $7k done at Volvo - I did it there for the lifetime warranty on parts and labor), at 150k ignition system failed - $1400 at indie mechanic for new ignition coils and spark plugs, and at 160k valve cover gasket leak. Needed a quart of oil every 2k miles or so.

Transmission problems were on the 6-speed auto, caused by faulty valve body. In 2008 Volvo fixed the the valve body problem and failures are rare on 2008+ models. My 08 was actually a late 07 build date, guess I missed the cut.
Check out the Volvo forum swedespeed and search for the threads on common issues for the year you are considering.

I moved to the MDX for the perceived reliability. All cars at high mileage will need more attention than a new vehicle, whether or not the Acuras are significantly more reliable than other cars of similar age and mileage is impossible to know for sure, but at least Honda/Acura parts are more abundant, DIY friendly, and certainly cheaper than Volvo parts. Best of luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just FYI, the third option is a Volvo XC 90.
Hi, I’m looking to upgrade vehicles, and I’ve narrowed my search to three options. Two are Acura MDX. I’m curious as to what are the differences between the 2009 and 2012 models? Pros and cons for each? Basically, anything I might need to know about each before buying.
The ‘09 has about 50,000 more miles (approximately (150000) on it than the ‘12 (approximately 100,000). They both have been serviced regularly with no accidents. They are ever the same color. The biggest difference I see is the price ($8000 vs $14000).
Any info is greatly appreciated.
i have a 2012. I’ve never had any problem with it except for some peeling paint. Mechanically it’s been excellent. It drives nice. Doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage, but it has never failed to start and get me where I want to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts