Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

I have some strange sound in my 2009 MDX that came up randomly once a while. I wonder if anyone had the same problem before, or have any idea about where the problem is.

I recorded the sound at: http://youtu.be/n42J9XXP2Tk
- kind of plastic clicking sound of some loose gear.

Where the sound came from:
- Does not know its exact location.
- Feel like under the Arm Rest Console below the rear AC control.

When it happen:
- Completely randomly.
- It will come up around 2-45 seconds and go away.
- Only once to twice per day, sometime it won't happen for a few days.
- It seems it was worse at the day after rain.
- It seems it won't come up in freezing cold weather around 20 degree. Worse at around 40-50 some degree.
- It does not seem to have any direct relationship with the rear A/C unit. It happens no method if the rear AC unit is ON or OFF.

What happened:
- Only making this annonying sound. Everything else is fine.
- The car runs fine.
- The rear AC blows AC and wind fine.

I still have CPO warrentary. Since it is a random issue that I may not be replicate when I go to a dealer. I want to see if anyone has any suggestion.

Thanks
Chi

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sounds like it might possibly be a relay, if you're not familiar with how a relay sounds when rapidly turning on/off, you might try googling for a sound clip and compare to the sound you hear. Other than that, noise complaints can be pretty tough to offer helpful advice on over the net.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like it might possibly be a relay, if you're not familiar with how a relay sounds when rapidly turning on/off, you might try googling for a sound clip and compare to the sound you hear. Other than that, noise complaints can be pretty tough to offer helpful advice on over the net.
Thanks for replying.

I have recorded my car's sound at: http://youtu.be/n42J9XXP2Tk
Is this a "relay" sound?

I am familiar how a relay problem may sound I cannot find any sound clip example online.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went to take a listen, but your video is private.
I fixed the Youtube setting. Thanks for your help.
It was my first time to post a video, so I wasn't too aware of those setting them.:headshake

·
Registered
166 Posts
That might well be a relay, from what I've read up on common MDX failures, there is a hands free link (HFL) relay behind the rear a/c control panel that seems to have failed on quite a few MDXs.

If you're good with removing interior trim pieces, you could access the area behind the rear a/c panel and locate that relay, you'd be able to tell right away if it was clicking in your hand. It's also possible that there is a poor connection somewhere to that relay, but with all of the reports about that relay failing it might be easier to replace it if it is the source of the noise (unless you're familiar with electrical circuit diagnosis).

That's about all the advice I can give without having the vehicle in front of me, if you can get one of the forum Acura techs to give their input, they might be able to give you a more definitive diagnosis.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That might well be a relay, from what I've read up on common MDX failures, there is a hands free link (HFL) relay behind the rear a/c control panel that seems to have failed on quite a few MDXs.

If you're good with removing interior trim pieces, you could access the area behind the rear a/c panel and locate that relay, you'd be able to tell right away if it was clicking in your hand. It's also possible that there is a poor connection somewhere to that relay, but with all of the reports about that relay failing it might be easier to replace it if it is the source of the noise (unless you're familiar with electrical circuit diagnosis).

That's about all the advice I can give without having the vehicle in front of me, if you can get one of the forum Acura techs to give their input, they might be able to give you a more definitive diagnosis.
Thanks FJR1300.

My car is still under CPO warrenty. I am going to make an appointment with dealer to see if they can find the problem. Since it is not something that I can replicate everytime. I want to get an idea about which part was wrong, so I can ask them to check this part in particular.

Thanks for your great help again.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks FJR1300.

My car is still under CPO warrenty. I am going to make an appointment with dealer to see if they can find the problem. Since it is not something that I can replicate everytime. I want to get an idea about which part was wrong, so I can ask them to check this part in particular.

Thanks for your great help again.
Hi,

Did you get this fixed? I just started noticing the same issue and it sounds like it's under the center console near the rear vents. I can't quite pinpoint that since it only happens on occasions. Just wondering if you fixed this and what it was and how much did that cost you?

My MDX is out of warranty already so if it's a simple fix, I much rather to it myself.

TIA...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes. It is fixed.

It was some motor issues. I still had the paper in my car. I will try to find the paper and update her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an 07 and same thing happens - it is the gear that controls the temp flap when you adjust the temp - your actuator has gone bad - I have lifetime warranty w zero deductible- so dealer just diagnosed - they said it is pain to change out - like 4 hrs labor - have to take out both seats etc - they are also changing out my steering wheel column because it will not raise up but sporadically. 1600$ cost-

Just turn up temp when hear the clicking and it will stop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts