Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Problem in short: How does one thread/snake a replacement OEM igniter and ballast (control unit) through the low beam hole? There isn't much space to squeeze the igniter.

The full monty: I have a broken passenger side headlight and a low beam that does not light up because water entered the ballast through the gaping hole these past few weeks. The dealer offered to fix it for a million bucks (at any rate, an amount I cannot afford at this time of my career/life) and collision people were marginally cheaper on the money front only. I thought I'll do it myself. I bought a used headlight assembly in good condition. Removed the bumper and old headlight without problems. Then I realized there's a lot of water in the ballast and that's why the low beam stopped lighting up a few rains after the headlight broke. I ordered a new ballast and igniter. Do I open up the ballast (despite the warning not to) and thread the cable through the HID/D2S socket? Is the warning only a safety (potential high voltage) warning? Any pointers would be appreciated. I hope I'm posting this in the right place. If not, my apoogies.

The following is an aside and not so important to the above question.
[I can understand and accept the manufacturer's tactic in deterring DIYers and helping dealers get some extra revenue for their services (valuable) and parts (inflated prices!). However, I find it strange how little there is on this across the web. But a lot on total replacement with after-market stuff. At the risk of distraction, one carnival barker has a video on YouTube that fires up if one searches for headlight assembly change for MDX. It's only a teaser though. He says nothing about how to go about it; just what one may find in his videos. Worst thing is he confused headlight assembly with bulb changing! Sorry for that rambling aside....]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pix

Post some photos of what you've got going on.
Here's my old headlight assembly with the two suspects laid on top. When installed, the Ballast ("Control Unit", as Acura calls it) is on one side and the Igniter on the other where the low beam bulb/socket goes. How does one put the igniter through without unscrewing the ballast? (The 3rd picture -- the opened ballast -- shows the plug that can be pulled. This seems to be the only way one could squeeze the cable through the tight porthole.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long Story, Short Answer

Despite -- or because of -- my muddle-headed thinking, anxiety, and long-winded explanation, the solution to my problem was very simple. The ballast has a rubber sleeve over the socket which you pull apart to reveal the plug. Pressing the lock a little releases the plug and you pull it out. The thread that tail through and plug it back in. As simple as that!

And then, after screwing in the ballast to the headlight assembly, I realized that I had forgotten to insert the security cable in its groove. But then, there were several wrong turns along the way costing me half a day in all. But this is something I can do in a couple of hours or less I think (- replacing a headlight assembly, that is). I wish I had taken pictures along the way....But I'm glad to answetr any questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts