Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 09 MDX was sitting for a week while I was away for vacation. My friend needed to borrow the car, and he got spare keys from a family member while driving it he told me he heard a loud noise, but didn't know if it was terrible since he drives a Honda Clarity. I attempted to start it, and it barely ran, and I heard the noise myself, I turned the engine off and the key to the on position and heard it coming near the gas tank. I have no check engine lights and no codes But for sure, its the fuel pump. Does anyone know an estimate for part and labor and possibly if I can do a DIY on it to save some cash.

Thanks

·
Registered
903 Posts
Good idea to check fuel pressure first..

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
how do you suggest to do that? there is no shrader valve. not easy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's hesitating to start, doesn't that show an indication of low fuel pressure?

·
Registered
903 Posts
how do you suggest to do that? there is no shrader valve. not easy.
Disconnect fuel line under hood and connect 3-way splitter. any shop can do it..

·
Registered
903 Posts
If it's hesitating to start, doesn't that show an indication of low fuel pressure?
It is one of the symptoms, but it could be other things too. I would check the pressure first. You said you heard noises, maybe there was bad fuel and now it is blocking filter.
You could try to add fuel stabilizer...

Reactions: Bennett.R

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is one of the symptoms, but it could be other things too. I would check the pressure first. You said you heard noises, maybe there was bad fuel and now it is blocking filter.
You could try to add fuel stabilizer...
Okay, It's an on and off noise sounding like a high pitch grinding. Once I saw and heard that and the engine hesitating I turned it off, Friend said it drove fine a couple days earlier. I just got back home to a nonworking MDX ;/

·
Registered
903 Posts
Okay, It's an on and off noise sounding like a high pitch grinding. Once I saw and heard that and the engine hesitating I turned it off, Friend said it drove fine a couple days earlier. I just got back home to a nonworking MDX ;/
High pitch noise usually is produced by the bad pump or could be low fuel situation. There is fuel in the tank, right? In my experience, i have nerver seen pumps sudden death. There is some kind symptoms before the total failure...

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Disconnect fuel line under hood and connect 3-way splitter. any shop can do it..
Any 3-way spliter can you recommend? It will be nice if there's a good video for cars similar to ours. I am wondering whether some higher end scanner can show the pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
Any 3-way spliter can you recommend? It will be nice if there's a good video for cars similar to ours. I am wondering whether some higher end scanner can show the pressure.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
This one should work:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
High pitch noise usually is produced by the bad pump or could be low fuel situation. There is fuel in the tank, right? In my experience, i have nerver seen pumps sudden death. There is some kind symptoms before the total failure...
I have half a tank of gas in it, The car had no issues when I left. I'm shocked that it just randomly starting making noise.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I have half a tank of gas in it, The car had no issues when I left. I'm shocked that it just randomly starting making noise.
Maybe you have enemies and someone poured sugar in your tank :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts