Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 MDX with 157,000 miles. I have had no issues with the engine, until yesterday.

I had a warning light come on yesterday and took it into Acura this morning.

I was told that I had not done the 100k spark plug replacement. I went to the dealer for all work (including oil changes) up to about 130k miles. So if it wasn't done it was because I was not made aware of it. My goal was to take this car to 200k miles so I did everything to keep it going in prime order.

Anyway, one of the plugs has now stripped itself from the cylinder head and its movements are causing the engine to misfire. Acura is saying they need to replace the head and all the spark plugs. Cost is $4,380.

Can I fix this stripped plug cheaper with a helicoil?

Will that fix last?

My goal was to buy a sedan this year and retire the MDX to a 3rd car. But now I am thinking this MDX is at the end of it's lifespan.

Do you think this issue is a harbinger of other engine issues?

Should I just do the repair eat the $4k and sell it?

Or can i coax a few more years (50K miles) out of it as a third car?

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Should I just do the repair eat the $4k and sell it?

Why? stripped spark plugs is like 1 in a million engine problem.. You pay 4K for a brand new Head and decide to sell it afterwards? WHY? The car should be rock solid in reliability and this problem is not common.

AFAIK the head can be machined and re-threaded for cheaper, Honda will not do this and they will push for a brand new head instead (More Moneyz for them).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts