Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st time poster howdy all!

I wanted to reach out and discuss with everyone an issue that has occurred with our 2009 MDX Tech Model and get some input on the best course.. The MDX is primarily the wife's so my driving/handling of it only is once in awhile. I've dabbled in vehicle repairs and try to look things up first and teach myself (and I am hearing this problem is an easy fix)... So onto the issue

The A/C Condenser was found to have punctures from road debris turns out when the dealer replaced a service valve which we thought was the only problem.. Course the dealer is telling us to replace the condenser and Vacuum/Recharge the whole A/C system will be a total of about 650ish.....

Course I did some reviews, talked w/ the O'Reilly Parts guys, and a buddy who does more DIY work and all said the condenser is fairly easy work to remove/replace and I wanted everyone's input since there isn't any videos online, and no real write-ups I tried finding in this forum and others about folks who have done this type of work.. Also wants some input on the parts:

- A/M Condenser assembly ranges from 89.99-160ish

- OEM pricing is about 250ish give/take

- Cannot get a stable price on an EVAC/Recharge of the A/C system from any vendors in the area yet, just only a labor rate and this is about a 1.5 hour job

- Dealer's service manager openly admitted to my wife they are anti A/M and also that even the OEM condenser made by Acura isn't that "great" for Arizona weather in her opinion at the end of the day.

So wanted the input on the following: DIY on this, is it worth it? And thoughts on going A/M or OEM

Thanks everyone for the help in advance!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It's worth DIy since you can buy part, gauges, refrigerant, and lubricant for approx. 1/2 the shop cost.

A/M part looks to be better cost/benefit. Check sponsors of this site for possible better price.

I don't have a 2009 manual, but for 03-06 condensor replacement appears to be fairly easy (bumper cover doesn't have to be removed).

Your first step should be to locate a shop manual for your vehicle.

good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts