Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2008 MDX and have only had it serviced by the dealer. 10 days prior it was at the dealer for a pretty big derive that included rotating tires and replacing brake fluid.

My wife was parked in a head-in spot at a small grocery store and she backed out of the spot. While backing up she heard a noise - thud/thump and then put the car in drive and moved forward. Within 20 feet she reported a louder scraping noise and stopped the car. She called me and I went to see what was the issue. I arrived and the car looked fine but when I turned the wheel I heard a groaning but the more I moved the wheel the more the sound died down. I placed the car in drive and moved forward no more than 1-2 feet when I heard a loud noise and then the sound of the tire deflating. I placed the car in park and got out to look at the damage.

Lower ball joint was separated, axel broken, oil filter punctured and inside of the rim broken where the ball joint hit it and a flat tire of course. The tire pushed the fender into the door slightly causing some body damage and the fender popped and broke a few tabs.

The dealer's service center insists we hit something and this type of damage could only be caused by an event like another car hitting us or hitting a curb at 20-25 mph. None of this happened and, in fact, I just drove the car the night before on the highway for 40 minutes and it was perfectly fine.

Acura corporate is standing by the 'out of warranty' which is fine but it really bothers us that both Acura and the dealer are not more curious about the failure and our insistence is happened under conditions we described.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
An isolated failure of a ball joint is not unheard of, but rare thankfully. Your part was likely faulty (crack or sharp machining gouge) from manufacture and fatigue eventually caused part failure.

I have no idea how Acura looks for trending failures, probably only through warranty claims.

good luck

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was it the axle that ruptured the oil filter? (Visualizing that is the closest thing to the oil filter)

Sudden ball joint failure - never see one go like that, not to say it cannot happen. But usually you get a few weeks of "warning"

Do you have any pics"?

Sorry that it happened, but glad it did in a parking lot and not at highway speeds.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2008 which was diagnosed as having "dry" ball joints on lower control arms by a Honda dealer mechanic at approx 70,000 miles. They were definitely visibly "dry".

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A random failure due to manufacturing defect would not present any symptoms until failure was imminent.

A failure due to excessive wear (no grease) would have a damaged or missing boot for the lower ball joint.

good luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts