Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing some research in replacing the struts on my 2008, and it seems like only KYB and Monroes are the only choices we have?
Are there any other choices besides those two brands? I'm not a fan of these brands from past experiences.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm doing some research in replacing the struts on my 2008, and it seems like only KYB and Monroes are the only choices we have?
Are there any other choices besides those two brands? I'm not a fan of these brands from past experiences.
Yes there are others but nothing special, the KYB's are the OEM struts and I have no issue as my ride feels as new as ever. I replaced the struts and rear shocks. I have the MDX Tech., not the Advanced. I did reviews on all types of brands and fell back to the KYB's.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks keith for the response, if you've tested some of the other brands out, do you remember what they were the names? I was able to find SACHS from RockAuto. I know SACHS is pretty good because they were OEM on my other car.

Also where did you buy your KYBs, I'm seeing different prices across the board from 65-150 per.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I used complete new assemblies on the front of my wife's 2008 and rock auto source Kyb shocks on the rear. Had to cut the links off the sway bar in front and replaced with moog links that have grease fittings. Car rides like new.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Red - that's exactly what I want to do, freshen up the 4 corners and since I'm in that area, replace the swaybar endlinks as well. You happen to have the part numbers for the moog parts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The truck drove great oem so that was the goal for me to restore. I didn't want to firm up or alter.

Poly bushings will definitely take some of the flex out, keep them greased or they will squeak like an 1800's wooden war ship.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
KYB Aftermarket Shocks will stiffen the suspension..
I did my OEM Shocks not long ago (OE is KYB) and recently helped a neighbor with his shocks, he went for KYB Aftermarket instead and DAMNNNN If those shocks are Stiff??? OE wasn´t like riding in clouds after all but Aftermarket KYBs took it to a whole new level.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
KYB Aftermarket Shocks will stiffen the suspension..
I did my OEM Shocks not long ago (OE is KYB) and recently helped a neighbor with his shocks, he went for KYB Aftermarket instead and DAMNNNN If those shocks are Stiff??? OE wasn´t like riding in clouds after all but Aftermarket KYBs took it to a whole new level.

I didn't know OEM KYB are different than aftermarket KYB....cool, learn something new today about the MDX.

that's why I mentioned I'm not a fan of KYB because of previous experiences. The KYB replacement in the other car was super stiff and it'll rattle your teeth out.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
I read in the forums that Aftermarket KYB shocks are supposedly "Tuned" to compensate for other worn suspension items and thus they are a little bit firmer than OE shocks... So if your suspension is healthy adding the KYB will give you an overall firmer ride, Excellent for cornering/stop/acceleration but the ride will suffer specially in badly maintained roads.

So I guess:
OE KYB Shocks are tuned for the MDX so even if they are made by KYB they are tuned to Acura Specifications..
Aftermarket KYB does what Aftermarket KYB does regardless of being used for the same car they make specific shocks.

Reactions: RainGoat

·
Registered
132 Posts
I replaced all corners with KYB and it was an overall improvement. I'm coming from 5 generations of TL's including the ( I can feel a bug in road) TL-type S from 07. The replacement gave me that new truck feeling. No body roll or lean. I get compliments on how smooth it rides until I get up to bout 90mph, its kind of shake box but its subtle. Once I get beyond 90 or lower all is normal. I need to try forced road balanced some day. (another conversation). I had 99k on the Tech MDX when I replaced the struts and shocks. One shock was leaking so I replaced them all.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Today I replaced the struts and shocks of my 2008 MDX.

To my surprise, the original struts and shocks are made by KYB for HONDA. Every piece is stamped HONDA and KYB.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Today I replaced the struts and shocks of my 2008 MDX.

To my surprise, the original struts and shocks are made by KYB for HONDA. Every piece is stamped HONDA and KYB.
why are you surprised?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Yeah I mean, It was mentioned on the first page of this thread...
KYB is the OE Manufacturer for almost all Honda cars.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If KYB aftermarket shocks are created to compensate for wear and tear of other parts. Does the fact that they feel too stiff mean people are replacing the struts/shocks too early?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Once they are worn out they will not work at all so no more stiffness when they get used completely.
Worn out shocks do not get stiff, they get looser and finally do not rebound at all..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts