Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled into garage yesterday and could hear something intermittently rattling under the hood. Just had timing belt done and was praying it wasn't something related. It stopped rattling once I had the hood up and looking. Had the wife bump the throttle and each time I heard the rattle. Got a long screwdriver and sure enough it was coming from the tensioner listening to end of screwdriver when on pulley bolt. I could also see the pulley bouncing with the chatter noise, easy diagnostics for a change.

I had the dealer change once already at 48k miles under warranty due to bearing screeching. They put on a new belt at the time that got noisy in just under a year. OEM didn't belt didn't last long.

The truck now has 108k miles and I put a napa brand tensioner on this time. The napa box said Gates made in canada, hopefully it lasts longer than 2 OEM prior. I had the same 2 go out in 90k miles on my TL which was replaced with a gates the third time but that car has since been traded to know gates long term results.

Pretty easy job. Removing the belt only thing that took time to figure out how to get the tool in there. Remove the wheel splash shield for access from underneath. Hopefully I didn't over torque the 2 bolts that hold it on. Didn't want to have to go into there again. If I had torque I would have done accordingly but I applied German torque, gooden-tite.

Test drive and everything appears to be good and my wallet is only $70 lighter vs. dealership couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Ironically GATES is the OEM Manufacturer for the Serpentine Belt and Tensioner.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Napa seems to be known to use their label on many OEM parts. I had the same experience when I replaced a wheel sensor. It ended up being identical to my factory OEM one, even saying "Honda" on it. Saved a few bucks and was happy it was in stock less than 5 min from me when I needed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts