Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the speaker in my rear door is making a crackling noise when i turn it up a bit, assuming it needs replacing. So what size and brand would you guys recommend for stock replacement, with improve sound without adding an amp?

According to a search and crutchfield, the sizes are 5 1/4. Other sites list 6 3/4. I just want to get it right and do the install once.
Any suggestions, Thx

·
Registered
1 Posts
One of the speaker in my rear door is making a crackling noise when i turn it up a bit, assuming it needs replacing. So what size and brand would you guys recommend for stock replacement, with improve sound without adding an amp?

According to a search and crutchfield, the sizes are 5 1/4. Other sites list 6 3/4. I just want to get it right and do the install once.
Any suggestions, Thx

Speaker Assy. (17cm) (Panasonic)
Part Number: 39120-STX-A01
Order from any Acura dealer

Installation video is available on youtube. look for: "Acura MDX Front Speaker Distortion Removal - YouTube"

Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
To sum up the door removal in a post, the panel that goes with the handle on the door pops off, there’s 3 screws to pull out there iirc. The panel under the release handle on the inside pops out, and you remove 2 more screws, then pry GENTLY from the bottom. I started on the edge and worked my way to the other side of the door. Good luck! I hate bad speakers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
To add, OP asked about 'better' speakers.

From what I know, the stock ones are 3-hole mount, with a bit of a weird shape. I think they do this to make it harder to install aftermarket speakers. That's not to say it wouldn't work with aftermarket speakers, but you will probably need to modify the housing a bit to accommodate a regular round speaker.

But just putting in better speakers won't help that much. You need to install a beefier better amp too.

As far as speaker size (the size of the aftermarket speaker you would need to make the installation easy as possible) I don't know. They appear to be 5 1/4.

·
Registered
268 Posts
To add, OP asked about 'better' speakers.

From what I know, the stock ones are 3-hole mount, with a bit of a weird shape. I think they do this to make it harder to install aftermarket speakers. That's not to say it wouldn't work with aftermarket speakers, but you will probably need to modify the housing a bit to accommodate a regular round speaker.

But just putting in better speakers won't help that much. You need to install a beefier better amp too.

As far as speaker size (the size of the aftermarket speaker you would need to make the installation easy as possible) I don't know. They appear to be 5 1/4.

Also, the speakers in the car are a 2 ohm speaker, and to my knowledge most car speakers are 4 ohm. That’s why you need a beefier amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies and info, I didn't even know the stock speakers are 2ohms, so with that, I don't have much of a choice if I don't want to run an amp. I don't really want to make this into a full blow project just to replace one speaker. Might just settle for a stock replacement...aaaarrrrrrrggggg

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
These are 2 Ohm speakers. It's unlikely that you are going to find any 2 Ohm aftermarket speakers that will have the same or better quality at the same or cheaper price than the OEM (made by Panasonic, OEM p/n 39120-STX-A01) ones. Besides, the OEM ones do not require any additional fiddling with fixing them to their sockets. At a $25 price it's really not worth wasting your time finding alternatives and finessing them into the original socket.

Are front and rear OEM door speakers the same?
Yes.

Also are the speakers the same in the base and tech package models?
Yes.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.