Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to replace the front wheel bearings on my 2008 MDX and wondering if you all can help me out. Not sure which side is making the noise, the usual turn the wheel to unload the bearing is not working and I have ruled out tire noise. Figure if one is bad probably should change the other while I am out there.

1. Does the wheel speed sensor need to be pulled in order to remove the bearing hub or can it stay in place? Mine is seized in the bore. Pretty sure it doesn't protrude past the bore but thought I'd better ask.

2. Do I need to buy new spindle nut for each side?

Thank you.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took about 20 minutes to get down to the wheel bearing, now I am staring at it trying to figure how I am going to get it out??????
Used the slide hammer and it just pulled the bearing in half. Now I have the the race/bearing in the knuckle and it hasn't even moved.

No clue how I am going to get this thing out of here short of pulling knuckle and taking to machine shop. I already know the wheel speed sensor is seized in the bore as well so I will be jacked on parts because that will break up and require to be drilled out is my guess.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well got the hub out of the knuckle finally and when it came out I saw the end of the wheel speed sensor laying on the garage floor. Spent an hour getting the bore for that cleaned out and the knuckle. All ready to put the new Amazon Timken bearing in and the half shaft will not spline into the new bearing. Guess that was not $50 each well spent, thought timken was good quality. WTF? I am taking a colossal beating on this job.

Guess time to check advance and auto zone to see if they have the bearing in stock. I will have to order the sensor Monday.

Can't wait to do the other side.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Are you sure it isn´t rust preventing you from sliding the shaft into the bearing spline? Timken has never failed me before.
Did you buy part no: 29029-05203572?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Part number I got was: HA590228

Yep, same here, Timken never been a problem in the past, not sure what gives. With the exception of the old hub being seized in this is a relatively simple maintenance task.

I cleaned the splines and checked each one with a scribe, they were clean. I got one of the two far enough on and I used the old spindle nut to run it down with my impact, took the hub puller and separate them, checked to make sure no damage and reinstalled, looked okay. My body feels like I fought 12 rounds today from the abuse of getting that rotted in hub to break free. Its whole life in salt-land Chicago it was rotted in place. The wheel speed abs sensor carries a Honda/Acura shared part number luckily so I can get the sensor from a local Honda dealer tomorrow or get the order placed, they usually get parts in 1 day. The nearest Acura dealer is over an hour drive away. LOL the joys of working on a car that is no longer nice and new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts