Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will disagree on Mercedes. I have 2010 Mercedes S550 with 270K miles that runs like new only needs new catalytic converters now $$$ other then that only maintenance.
That's why I mentioned "ML", not the "S" series, but regardless consider yourself lucky. There's been several horror stories with the S series as well.

With that luck, how come you didn't go with Merc ML or GL series?
My wife does not like german cars and she grew up in Europe go figure. She was always lexus and now acura driver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had minimum problems that were all inexpensive and manageable. No issues with AC, Trans or Engine. Braking system last a long time compared to most but rotors do warp. Fluid changes are about as easy to do as any car I've owned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Acura MDX '08 has treated me fine so far. I think it all depends on who you buy it from, how they took care of it, and what they had done to it. As a second owner, I have a stack of receipts and records of maintenance that was done to the vehicle. Any car can be a reliable vehicle, as long as you take care of it.

* I do realize you probably inherited most of these problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Aaron, that's what makes this so frustrating - I bought it new. It's the pampered car - No Home Depot runs, never been in the snow or ice, sleeps in the garage... all oil changes, services, etc.

Yesterday the battery cable rattle loose - can't blame Acura for that one. The clamp was very tight, but the post is a bit tapered or stepped. Once I got it down lower on the battery, it snugged up great.

But, we discovered something pretty strange during the no-power episode: My wife got locked IN the car. She called me from down the road "Hey, the car just died - nothing works... and I'm stuck in the car" I was there in 5 min. Fortunately, it was 75 degrees out and she had the windows down.

I arrived and had to laugh - grown woman trapped in car? Like the setup of a blonde joke. I leaned in and unlocked the door at the handle... nope. Door was still locked. I couldn't unlock the damn car. I had assumed that button was mechanical - not electric.

So, in a rollover or hard impact - where the battery could become disconnected - I guess the hope is that one of the windows breaks?

Oh, and the passenger side window no longer operates from the driver's side button. It works fine from the button on the passenger side. Hoping the battery issue confused the computer and it'll heal itself... but not optimist. Added to list.

·
Registered
798 Posts
You should always be able to open the door from the inside if you pull the handle. If you can't, there is something wrong and you should get it remedied immediately. I would think Acura would do it on their own dime as this is a major liability for them, just like any seatbelt issues.

·
Registered
353 Posts
"Yesterday the battery cable rattle loose - can't blame Acura for that one. The clamp was very tight, but the post is a bit tapered or stepped. Once I got it down lower on the battery, it snugged up great. "

Aftermarket batteries require a battery post shim. $2 at Autozone. See my thread on this. This will get your cable on nice and tight. What you should do is remove the cables, clean them with a battery post cleaning tool thoroughly. Install the shim on positive (mine did not need a negative shim). Tighten very snug and then put grease on the exposed metal.

Your driver master switch is probably bad. The fact that the passenger switch works tells me it is not the relay or anything to do with the window mechanism.

You physically tried to move the lock and it would not move (prior to opening the handle). All my doors can be easily unlocked manually if you need to. Did you try the other doors as well. It is the little plastic lever right above the door handle. The back seat doors have a child switch which would negate these from operating. I wonder if the fronts do too?

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+acura+mdx+door+inside&biw=1920&bih=979&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAmoVChMIx8-qsbLCyAIVAziICh0zmwnb&dpr=1#imgrc=8ppYfdbZaYAUvM:

Sometimes you get served up a lemon of a car. Remember that Acura made hundreds of thousands of these cars. Most of use had great luck with them. If you defect and buy an X5, GLE or Q7 you step in to territory where the lemon rate is even higher. Prepare for direct injection, turbo chargers, failed waste gates, intercoolers, batteries that need to be registered, headlights that aim left to right and up to down and no dipstick with electronic sensors. Turbos mounted inside the valley of the engine subject to extreme heat. Trust me, while you had bad luck, your luck could be much worse. We have an X5 XDrive50i Sport and it is absolutely amazing to drive. Blows away the MDX but with that I do fear the service and repair. It was worth it to me though. Happy wife happy life.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks MDXpression.

Yeah, the button on the door moved - to the unlocked position. It just didn't do anything - the door remained locked. I didn't try the other doors, because I had already ID'ed the battery issue and knew it'd be fine once that cable was secured.

I'll grab a shim today - thanks for that!

I'm not ready to dub this MDX a lemon just yet - it's clearly not the best car I've owned. I bought a new Land Rover in '96. So, the bar for how bad a car can be is pretty high... or low. I'd put this one par with my 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. And, like most MDXs, There are good Jeeps (not nearly as many) - we had a 2000 GC Limited that was damn near perfect for four years. That gave me confidence to get the 2001 for myself.

When we dump the MDX, I'll either buy a Toyota/Lexus or lease something - so, I'm not on the hook post-warranty.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with you guys. I had an 01 MDX and it was excellent, then I bought and 04 MDX and it too was excellent ...I drove Both over a hundred and seventy-five thousand miles. My 08 MDX Sport is a total piece of garbage. The quality is absolutely horrible compared to the Gen 1. So far I have Replaced the torque converter various sensors including 02 sensor, HFL module is bad and the actual roof seams under the roof rack have come apart towards the rear of the vehicle and leaked water right onto the rear control modules for the ADS and created an electrical nightmare. The build quality of this vehicle is just awful. The Back-up Camera angle is a joke. Acura removed options on the 08 that my 04 had. The Acura ElS stereo system is not as good as the Bose system was in my 04. The list just goes on and on. Now my ADS light is on for the suspension which cost about $4,500 to fix. The sport suspension is was an expensive add-on that should provide some sort of wow-factor, but honestly, it rides and handles not much different than any other cheap SUV. What a joke Acura has become....this is my 3rd and last Acura MDX...the problem is I just don't know what to get next. I really do like (not love) the way the vehicle goes and enjoy having a third row seat with a smaller SUV however, the quality of Acura has just gone so far down hill since 2006. The quality is just very poor....It's my fault for assuming that the 08 MDX was going to be at least as good, if not better, than my 04....I can't wait to sell this rig.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I agree with you guys. I had an 01 MDX and it was excellent, then I bought and 04 MDX and it too was excellent ...I drove Both over a hundred and seventy-five thousand miles. My 08 MDX Sport is a total piece of garbage. The quality is absolutely horrible compared to the Gen 1. So far I have Replaced the torque converter various sensors including 02 sensor, HFL module is bad and the actual roof seams under the roof rack have come apart towards the rear of the vehicle and leaked water right onto the rear control modules for the ADS and created an electrical nightmare. The build quality of this vehicle is just awful. The Back-up Camera angle is a joke. Acura removed options on the 08 that my 04 had. The Acura ElS stereo system is not as good as the Bose system was in my 04. The list just goes on and on. Now my ADS light is on for the suspension which cost about $4,500 to fix. The sport suspension is was an expensive add-on that should provide some sort of wow-factor, but honestly, it rides and handles not much different than any other cheap SUV. What a joke Acura has become....this is my 3rd and last Acura MDX...the problem is I just don't know what to get next. I really do like (not love) the way the vehicle goes and enjoy having a third row seat with a smaller SUV however, the quality of Acura has just gone so far down hill since 2006. The quality is just very poor....It's my fault for assuming that the 08 MDX was going to be at least as good, if not better, than my 04....I can't wait to sell this rig.
sorry to hear about your '08 MDX experience- these reviews (typically highly subjective) can vary quite a bit across the board...my '09 MDX (with about 90K US miles on it) has been an up and down experience for which I have no complaints at the present time (it's actually been driving like brand new for the past year :29:)...

at the same time, I have paid ALOT of money and dedicated ALOT of time myself in getting this Japanese puppy serviced, and ALOT of help/advice has been rendered/received by VERY helpful/knowledgeable fellow 2nd gen. MDX owners/members on this particular message board to help get my MDX to where it stands today (service-wise)- essentially problem free at the moment! :)

when I had first bought the car brand new, and up until the duration of the warranty's end, I had taken immediate advantage of just about every FREE 'TSB-bulletin' that came out for the 2nd gen MDX, alot of OEM parts CURRENTLY on my MDX are NOT the original parts that had originally come with the vehicle when it had rolled off the dealer lot back in 2009, just after I dropped about $50K US (after taxes and optioned out) to buy this newly designed vehicle (for which I think it BETTER designed and BETTER looking than both the 1st and UGLY 3rd generation MDX's!!!- I know highly subjective view here!)....

....additionally (confession time) throughout the 8 years that I've owed my car, I must have taken out AT LEAST approximately/over 50 or more (FREE) loaner vehicles (many TSX's, many TL's, MANY MDX's and RDX's and a couple ZDX's- sometimes taking them on 700 mile+ weekend excursions!!! out of state too- bwahahahhahaahahah LMAO)- all while my own MDX was being service by the various stealerships....only had one newbie service advisor get anal with me about that (he no longer works for Acura, likely working for Best Buy GEEK Squad now...LOL!!!! I had also noticed during several recent return visits, that some Acura stealerships had instituted a new policy where loaner cars were now being charged about $60 a day- beyond the day that an owner's car (previously dropped off for service) is ready for pick up- a kind of think that I somehow, perhaps marginally/exclusively played a role towards the institution of some, if not all of those new policies!....hehehehe...oh well, take that Mr. Stealership!! (also made sure to leave a credit card on file with the Acura Stealership that would be cancelled/closed/reported lost that same day)- wherein a replacement card would be sent out to me by the credit card company- this was some 'bameboozlement' of my own being dished back at the stealership for all those times they raped me with multiple unnecessary service tasks/inflated fee's....

so all in all, while the HFL/bluetooth drain was HORRENDOUS (and unfairly down played by many 'as not a big deal') was bad, I guess overall, and especially with car driving like new (no error codes), post FREE Super Handling shocks dealer replacement (from that AMAZING and TIMELY SH suspension bulletin/recall that came out last year)

OVERALL- I guess I really can't complain about my 2nd gen MDX (I also own a Mercedes SUV for which optioned out as is, costs about twice the cost of my MDX- and for which I haven't even driven it that much due in part to the fact that I'm usually driving/relying upon my currently stable workhorse 2009 MDX...so time will eventually determine upon whether German reliability trumps Japanese reputation in my case?....:cool:)

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
My issues so far:
1.- Bad Door Sub harness ~ 25dlls
2.- TRS - 81dlls
3.- Axle boot leak ~ 125dlls for new OEM axle

That's about it.. Everything else is normal wear and tear (Brakes, Timing Belt, etc) so I do not count them. The MDX has been reliable so far nothing extraordinary has broken the bank yet.
I bought it with 72K on the clock and now is sitting at 95K.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Two major issues, otherwise rock solid. 1. Broke the bank with 4 ADS. Luckily Acura refund. 2. The excessive oil consumption is like an itch that won't go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy crap!...You really had to take your MDX into the dealer that many times....WOW...no complaints....really? Regular maintenance is fine, but I just don't have time to keep up with all the lights popping on and all the system failures. It is just an unreliable vehicle period. I guess if I was retired and had nothing to do but hang around the dealership for days on end, I could enjoy it?...Nahhh. I was so happy the day I bought this car, but that pails in comparison to how happy I will be to get rid of it. It's just a shame, because I was a die-hard Acura fan once, but they lost me for good. It is such a cheaply built vehicle now...Even the carpet is garbage. I just tried out an Audi Q5 3.2 (I'll miss the 3rd seat), but wow, the quality is soooo much better than the MDX. The service writer I used did not recommend Acura either....She had a whole list of horror stories. I really wish I could trust Acura again, but the way they are going with quality, I just don't see it happening. And, yes I agree that the new ones are ugly. My sport shocks are just out of the extended warranty.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Holy crap!...You really had to take your MDX into the dealer that many times....WOW...no complaints....really? Regular maintenance is fine, but I just don't have time to keep up with all the lights popping on and all the system failures. It is just an unreliable vehicle period. I guess if I was retired and had nothing to do but hang around the dealership for days on end, I could enjoy it?...Nahhh. I was so happy the day I bought this car, but that pails in comparison to how happy I will be to get rid of it. It's just a shame, because I was a die-hard Acura fan once, but they lost me for good. It is such a cheaply built vehicle now...Even the carpet is garbage. I just tried out an Audi Q5 3.2 (I'll miss the 3rd seat), but wow, the quality is soooo much better than the MDX. The service writer I used did not recommend Acura either....She had a whole list of horror stories. I really wish I could trust Acura again, but the way they are going with quality, I just don't see it happening. And, yes I agree that the new ones are ugly. My sport shocks are just out of the extended warranty.
sorry to hear about your MDX woes, I own two late model German cars (Audi sedan and Mercedes SUV) and know what you're talking about with regard to the quality differences let alone luxury discrepancies when it comes to Acura vs. the German Big Boys...with that being said, the MDX (properly maintained) is presently my daily, goto, reliable, workhorse car- as of right now I'm presently content with it overall- besides that this particular message board is the MOST helpful message board for cars I have ever found on the internet....without it, I'd have gotten rid of my MDX probably about 5 years ago (glad I didn't!- it's a very unique car that almost seems built for Midwest USA winters!!) :nerd:

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Guy was complaining about several non-Normal issues...
If he had mentioned the car has left him stranded because of a bad transmission or engine going belly up it would have been understandable, But warped rotors? Bad Window motor? LOL German cars crap out of their DRIVETRAIN long before any miscellaneous item.. Way worse than his MDXs issues YET better quality interior and luxury trumps Drivetrain issues? MMMKAY.... Priorities I guess... As long as the Interior is super quality but the engine electronics and transmissions go down its OK to some people.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts