Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought it new. All maintenance done on schedule; recalls and TSBs done as posted.
Currently has 74,000 miles. Here's what's been done:
- Two sets of rotors - warped
- Power seat motor - failed
- Power window motor(s?)
- Memory seating control - failed (out of warranty)
- Passenger side mirror - sticks, pops (out of warranty)
- Power steering pump - "noisy, weak" - per mechanic (out of warranty)
- O2 sensors (out of warranty)
- Hands Free Link Module - failed; drains battery, car needs jump start daily (out of warranty)
- Third row release lever snapped (out of warranty)
- Head unit/stereo failed, entire unit swapped (out of warranty)

I'd expect this from a GM or Chrysler product. But, from a Honda? Damn.

Side note... For Sale: 2008 MDX, Tech Pack, 74,000 miles, garage kept, mint ;-)

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I can feel your pain somewhat. My 03 seems more reliable than my 08. I had the steering pump and ADS front shocks replaced under warranty. I had to do the mirror motors, transmission sensor and brake stability module myself. Not terribly expensive in time or money but it seems I do more on this car than the 03 which has 60K more miles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's frustrating. My wife "served her time" in two Odysseys (which were very solid). When it was time for a "cooler" car, I said "Okay, you pick it. No budget... okay, within reason". She drove the GX470, Q7, GL... and a bunch of other SUVs. The MDX was supposed to be the pragmatic decision - it's a Honda, after all.

Now, we're looking at cars. And, this sucks - because, she likes the MDX... other than it keeps breaking, throwing codes, needing to be jump started...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Besides the odd replacement of stereo...and seat motor....no need to cry about the rest. You have to expect this when we have a female as the primary driver.
Maintain the car, and keep it....instead of buying a real problem.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Wow. Surprised you kept it this long. I guess every time you fixed it you felt compelled to get your repair money's worth and continue to drive it?

The only one I've experienced on your list is the memory seat control issue. It started during the warranty period but didn't drive me batty until a few years later, so finally I fixed it.

The only issue that I've had but never fixed was a whistling from the navigation DVD player under the driver seat. It's intermittent and seems to be less common now, but if I were keeping the car longer I'd get it fixed at a local audio shop (which the dealer recommended).

Good luck with car shopping!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Because I like to fix cars or learn how. And by comparison to my German cars are both complex and expensive in parts (Porsche 911 and BMW X5 5.0i), the MDX is both easy and cheap to fix.

1. Two sets of rotors - warped (Inexpensive and easy DIY). Mine are warped now but I haven't bothered with it.

2. Power seat motor - failed
3. Power window motor(s?)
^---these two are pretty rare and probably beyond a basic DIY

4. Memory seating control - failed (Mine failed due to something in the mirror-actuator? It was fixed under warranty so I lucked out)

5. Passenger side mirror - sticks, pops (out of warranty) (fixed under warranty at the same time of 4)

6. Power steering pump - "noisy, weak" - per mechanic (out of warranty). This is likely a $2 O-ring. Easy DIY. I fixed mine using youtube and a wrench or two. And changed PS fluid at same time.

7. O2 sensors (out of warranty). I'd tackle these myself under $200.

8. Hands Free Link Module - failed; drains battery, car needs jump start daily (out of warranty) 10 minute DIY, $200 or free if the bake method fixes yours.

9. Third row release lever snapped (out of warranty). Mine has not yet broken but I rarely move that seat.

10. Head unit/stereo failed, entire unit swapped (out of warranty). $250 send out for repair service. My guess is this is an easy unit to remove and reinstall.

I think the RX350 would probably be a better car in terms of quality but not too many other luxury crossovers will top an MDX. The RX will lose in every measure of fun, handling, styling, acceleration and in space however. I change the oil every 6k, and trans fluid every 18k and feel pretty confident in the long term durability of it.

If you go down market to a Highlander or Pilot you might eek out better quality due to the simplicity of not having the features.

Good luck on your next one though. Hopefully it is troublefree!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Dang, that's about 5 times as many problems as I've had with my '08 Nissan Pathfinder that has twice the miles. And I've beat the ever loving crap out of it.

Our MDX has been flawless for just under 70k miles. I've got about a two problem limit before a car gets shipped off to trade-in land so maybe it knows better than to test me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad feelings. But you should know, the MDX is one car you do not buy without an extended warranty. No way in hell would I own one of these fragile vehicles without extended warranty. I don't care what they say. I read and read before I made my purchase 2010, two years ago. I have always been a Toyota 4-Runner person. The MDX doesn't even come to reliability of the 4-Runner. Yes, I bought an Extended Warranty, and thank God I did. I have had steering pump problems, torque converter replaced, front end axles, rear gate issues, and motor mounts replaced, even side mirrors replaced. Yes...only 68,000 miles. Everything was repaired with warranty. There is now way in hell this MDX vehicle will reach 150,000 without a heavy bank loan to repair. My warranty will expire at 120,000...so that means I might have to sell at 121,000. My 4-Runner has 260,000 and garage kept...clean as can be and very reliable. So when people tell you an extended warranty doesn't pay....they are lying to you. Hell the torque converter alone was $2600.00...not to mention the other fixes / repairs all covered. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have 120K and besides two relays brakes and tires that is all it has been done in 120K miles on 2007.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an 07 which was purchased from the original owner about 15k ago, has 152k now. Nothing was replaced outside of brakes, fluids,filters and timing belts for the first 138k. I have the complete service history from the dealer which shows every oil change etc from the previous owner who brought it to the dealer for everything. Oh, and software updates, lots of those. It did have bad mirror actuators which were $34 a pop. It did have a bad bluetooth module which ran down the battery which was disconnected. It also does have "stiff" power steering the previous owner brought into the dealer multiple times (during the warranty period) and they said it was normal. I'm not convinced it is, I'm pretty much ready to replace the power steering pump but not sure yet. Other than that, it is a fantastic SUV. I plan to keep it to 200k and get a 2010-2013 model to replace it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
If you go down market to a Highlander or Pilot you might eek out better quality due to the simplicity of not having the features.

Good luck on your next one though. Hopefully it is troublefree!
The new Highlander and Pilot have more features than the MDX at least the new ones do. In fact, the new MDX comes with built in failures of quality.

The '10 - 13 MDX is an impressive vehicle that improved on the previous ones to the point where it gained a great reputation. That reputation is what gets people to the showroom but the latest iteration is dragging the MDX down.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Buying a warranty is certainly a personal preference thing. For me, I've owned about 20 cars. And of those 20 cars, I've had maybe 3 bad ones. A decent warranty is about $2,000/car let's say (and this is probably being conservative). So that is $40,000 in warranty money I would have spent on each of those cars. My real repairs have been less than half of that. At this point I'm WAY ahead by not doing so. I don't buy them on appliances either and the math works out even better there.

To be more specific, get a base Pilot or Highlander. Yes in full touring and or LE trim you can basically load it up to luxury standards as DB22 mentions.

The driving dynamics of the last gen Pilot and Highlander are a joke compared to the 2007-2009 MDX. The 2007 actually battled well against the Europeans in a comparison which is almost impossible to believe consider where Acura has taken things as of late.

BMW X5 vs. Acura MDX, Cadillac SRX, M-B ML350, Lexus GX470, Volvo XC90, VW Touareg, Land Rover LR3 - Comparison Tests

What you will find is probably a small percentage of MDX owners have the "bad" experience and they are likely to scream about it. Most of us have the same story.. bought it new or with low mileage. Had minimum problems that were all inexpensive and manageable. No issues with AC, Trans or Engine. Brakes last a long time compared to most but rotors do warp. Fluid changes are about as easy to do as any car I've owned.

I personally can't stand the 2010+ soft steering. I also don't like the chrome window trim either.

·
Registered
798 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I will disagree on Mercedes. I have 2010 Mercedes S550 with 270K miles that runs like new only needs new catalytic converters now $$$ other then that only maintenance.

·
Registered
353 Posts
"I will disagree on Mercedes. I have 2010 Mercedes S550 with 270K miles that runs like new only needs new catalytic converters now $$$ other then that only maintenance."

2010 with 270k miles on it? Holy crap. 54,000 miles per year.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I will disagree on Mercedes. I have 2010 Mercedes S550 with 270K miles that runs like new only needs new catalytic converters now $$$ other then that only maintenance.
That's why I mentioned "ML", not the "S" series, but regardless consider yourself lucky. There's been several horror stories with the S series as well. ;)

With that luck, how come you didn't go with Merc ML or GL series?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Because of FCA no doubt.

Both GL and ML are made under contract by FCA in Alabama. Anything a Chrysler or Jeep worker touches, goes to crap. And we know what FIAT stands for!?

Fix It Again Tony!

Randy B

·
Registered
353 Posts
The GL and ML (now called the GLE) are both made at a Mercedes-Benz plant in Tuscaloosa, AL and not at all by FCA.

MBUSI - Home

MB did provide Jeep the basic chassis to use on their current generation Grand Cherokee.

"The Grand Cherokee (with the 2011 Durango) WK2 platform uses a derivative based on Mercedes-Benz's W166 series."

Both GL and ML are made under contract by FCA in Alabama. Anything a Chrysler or Jeep worker touches, goes to crap. And we know what FIAT stands for!?

Fix It Again Tony!

Randy B

·
Registered
156 Posts
Acura had a TSB covering Your item 6, Power Steering Pump also an extension of warranty to 7 years (now long expired). Acura sells a kit to address the problem, it includes a full pump assembly and related items. I do not think an O ring will solve your problem since the number and shape of pump vanes are at the root of the problem. I did mine out of warranty, the kit cost me US$120 a couple of years ago. Sounds like you could do a DIY.
Look up the TSB number which leads to the repair kit number.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts