Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that there are a lot of discussions regarding the proper tire pressure of the 2nd gen MDX.

Meanwhile, there is no much info regarding the proper/best tire pressure while towing.

I am towing a small travel trailer in Florida (90+ degrees average), with my 2008 MDX (150k miles). The Tongue Weight of the triailer is about 400lb.
I have the Cooper Discoverer A/T tires on my MDX which btw I am very happy with.

Any suggestions on what is the ideal tire pressure while towing, considering the age of the car, millage and trailer tongue weight?

Thank you.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It seems that there are a lot of discussions regarding the proper tire pressure of the 2nd gen MDX.

Meanwhile, there is no much info regarding the proper/best tire pressure while towing.

I am towing a small travel trailer in Florida (90+ degrees average), with my 2008 MDX (150k miles). The Tongue Weight of the triailer is about 400lb.
I have the Cooper Discoverer A/T tires on my MDX which btw I am very happy with.

Any suggestions on what is the ideal tire pressure while towing, considering the age of the car, millage and trailer tongue weight?

Thank you.
I have some information from Andy Thompson at Can-Am in London Ontario. I will see if I can post it here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have some information from Andy Thompson at Can-Am in London Ontario. I will see if I can post it here

If the print is too large and you can’t read this on your device go to the web you and you should be able to see what I posted.

·
Registered
895 Posts
No need to switch tire sizes IMO. When I tow on the heavier side I put my tires at 40 PSI cold. COLD is important as tires should only be adjusted "cold", meaning early in the day before being driven and before the sun has had the chance to warm them up if it's a sunny day. Your tires should have a 44 PSI Max rating, but if filled to 40 PSI cold they will climb once you start driving and that's ok as long as it is not due to extremely hot brakes, hub bearing, etc. The 40 PSI will firm up the feel and reduce trailer sway, etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No need to switch tire sizes IMO. When I tow on the heavier side I put my tires at 40 PSI cold. COLD is important as tires should only be adjusted "cold", meaning early in the day before being driven and before the sun has had the chance to warm them up if it's a sunny day. Your tires should have a 44 PSI Max rating, but if filled to 40 PSI cold they will climb once you start driving and that's ok as long as it is not due to extremely hot brakes, hub bearing, etc. The 40 PSI will firm up the feel and reduce trailer sway, etc.
I set them at 40 psi and they usually warm up to 44 psi. Max psi is 50. It is nice that the MDX can show you the tire pressures. With the smaller tire we do get more torque and can tow in a higher gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts