Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the solution!

Same problem with my 2008 MDX Sport with the aux brake light. The replacement brake switch did the trick.

O'Reilly had the part for about $12 and the replacement took 10 mins.

The state of Texas includes the third brake light for annual inspections now so I can see more folks looking for this fix.

It seems to be common with several Acura and Honda vehicles.

Again, my thanks to the contributors.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks to everyone on this thread. My center brake light was not working, I replaced it ($130) and still not working. Came here and replaced the Brake Pedal Position Switch. Everything working now. Purchased switch at Autozone.com for less than $20 with shipping.

Symptoms were Center Brake light not working and L&R brake lights were working but not as bright as I would expect. Brake Pedal Position Lever was bad.

2007 MDX Tech

·
Registered
1 Posts
I Wanted to update this with a potential time-saver sequence, and alternate fix.
1. Grab the greenplastic housing and twist 1/4 turn left (counter clockwise)
2. Lift the switch out of the green collar with ease.
3. unplug thenswitch from the car wiring.
4. now, the options!
a. Fix the existing switch: Take the switch to your shop, dissassemble and clean the variety of metal contacts you find inside. (Careful! Small, spring loaded... don't lose springs.) I had to use two small screwdrivers simultaneously to release the black portion from the tabs on the green portion. Clean and reassemble. Took me three minutes
b. Buy an identical replacement.
c. Buy a NOT IDENTICAL replacement.

5a. and 5b. Plug the switch back into the wiring. Insert it through the green collar, and press it down into full, depressed contact with the brake pedal. I.e, press so that the spring loaded button in the switch is pressed in. Twist/lock the switch 1/4 turn right (clockwise) and you are done.

5C.. if you bought a new switch that is not compatible with the existing, installed green collar, you will need to swap that collar out for your new one. Can't help ya there.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts