Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me please.
I just purchased a 2008 MDX, and the high mount brake light is not working. The other brake lights are working.

Would you think this is a connection problem?

I have heard someone say brake switch, but would that cause just the high mount not to work?

Anyone had this problem and can help me out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yep

I had this happen to me a month ago on my 08. A body guy I know helped me find the problem. There is a plunger type switch behind the brake pedal that controls the third break light. I haven't seen it personally but it didn't sound to difficult to adjust and it works fine again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much JK
I just went out after your post and found the brake switch, and wiggled it and the light started working.

Do you know if it's a bad connection or is a bad part?

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Acura 2007 MDX

Yup, I had the exact same issue on my MDX and through a Google search, I was directed here. I was so surprised that the brake pedal stop switch could cause this problem that I did some extesnsive testing with my Fluke Multimeter.

First, I do own the Factory Shop Manual and used the wire diagrams from the electrical section.

All 3 rear stop lights get power down the same single wire going through the brake pedal stop switch. A simple circuit that is powered when the brake pedal is pushed and the pedal switch contacts are made.

Anyhow, not to get too technical but in my case the battery voltage at the time was 12.5 volts at the battery and also 12.5 at the input side of the brake switch. When the pedal was pushed the output voltage was only 6.8 volts. Obviously the switch had high internal resistance.

But now it gets interesting. Both left and right tail stop lights illuminated, however the center did not! So, any mechanic would assume the center stop light is bad.

So, I wasted an hour and removed the center tail light. Difficult and not recommended. When I tested the light on 12 volts it worked! BTW all these lights are multiple LED's.

The obvious question is why do the outboard position lights work at approx 7 volts and the center light doesn't? More testing revealed the outboards will operate with only approx 6 volts. The center light needs approx 8.5 volts to illuminate.

This now answers why the center light is inop on some MDX's.

So, yes, the fix is still a new brake pedal stop switch and this same switch is used in many Honda and Acura models.

To troubleshoot read the voltage into and out of the switch. If a voltage drop of 0.5 or more is read then the switch is bad!

Thanks to all those who directed me to the correct fix.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2009 Acura MDX only has 25,000 miles and is still under 4 year warranty. I called Acura Service in Torrance, Ca and asked them if the problem with the high center rear brake light was under warranty and they told me no and to replace the bulb would be 30-40 dollars. I told him about this forum suggesting that it was the brake pedal switch and service manager told me much to my surprise that it was not possible that the switch would cause just the center light to not function since all three lights were on the same circuit. Anyway I attempted to dismantle the spoiler to get to the center light unsuccessfully so I decided just to have the dealer do it. When I picked up the car and looked at the invoice I saw that the brake pedal switch was faulty and they replaced it under warranty. The part number is 36750-SJA-013.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Acura 2007 MDX

Yup, I had the exact same issue on my MDX and through a Google search, I was directed here. I was so surprised that the brake pedal stop switch could cause this problem that I did some extesnsive testing with my Fluke Multimeter.

First, I do own the Factory Shop Manual and used the wire diagrams from the electrical section.

All 3 rear stop lights get power down the same single wire going through the brake pedal stop switch. A simple circuit that is powered when the brake pedal is pushed and the pedal switch contacts are made.

Anyhow, not to get too technical but in my case the battery voltage at the time was 12.5 volts at the battery and also 12.5 at the input side of the brake switch. When the pedal was pushed the output voltage was only 6.8 volts. Obviously the switch had high internal resistance.

But now it gets interesting. Both left and right tail stop lights illuminated, however the center did not! So, any mechanic would assume the center stop light is bad.

So, I wasted an hour and removed the center tail light. Difficult and not recommended. When I tested the light on 12 volts it worked! BTW all these lights are multiple LED's.

The obvious question is why do the outboard position lights work at approx 7 volts and the center light doesn't? More testing revealed the outboards will operate with only approx 6 volts. The center light needs approx 8.5 volts to illuminate.

This now answers why the center light is inop on some MDX's.

So, yes, the fix is still a new brake pedal stop switch and this same switch is used in many Honda and Acura models.

To troubleshoot read the voltage into and out of the switch. If a voltage drop of 0.5 or more is read then the switch is bad!

Thanks to all those who directed me to the correct fix.

Dave
Hi everyone!

I have a 2008 Acura MDX with tech package.

I just recently had my oil changed at the dealer and they said that my third brake light wasn't working and that I needed to replace a switch.

I want to try to figure out how to replace this myself if possible. Are there any special instructions on how to do this?

I took a picture of my car, is this the third brake light switch?

·
Registered
424 Posts
my apologies on the other thread, boo... you found the thread with the similar problem that is most likely your cause

yes that is the switch that they are talking about.

autozone has it for a decent price with a lifetime warranty

part # SW6271 for $18 plus tax in my area

doesn't hurt to try that first

·
Registered
21 Posts
my apologies on the other thread, boo... you found the thread with the similar problem that is most likely your cause

yes that is the switch that they are talking about.

autozone has it for a decent price with a lifetime warranty

part # SW6271 for $18 plus tax in my area

doesn't hurt to try that first
Cool, thank you very much! :D

I just ordered the part. Is it pretty straight forward to replace? Any tips or tricks I should be aware of?

Here's is the direct link to the part for others coming here for the same problem from Google search:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Stoplight-Switch/_/N-9cias?itemIdentifier=795167_0_0_

It's $10.99 + tax in my area.

·
Registered
424 Posts
it's pretty much plug-n-play

you push in that white part of the socket and wiggle that out(where you put that arrow on your pic)

the slightly harder part is to try to pop that switch off... 2 small tabs keeps it on that metal bracket; you can try to push them in while trying to pull that switch UP off the bracket

keep a very close eye on the length of that collar to the end of the switch; you'll need to make the similar adjustment to the new one before you install it

good luck w/ it

PS: i didn't know it was that much of a pain to unplug the 3rd brake light to test it ( & hopefully its this switch that's causing your problem)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks notmycar and everyone else for all your help!

My friend helped me install the new switch.

We carefully removed the wire plug from the old switch. But before we removed the brake switch, just for kicks, we decided to seat the wire plug back in to test it again to make sure it was really bad.

Well, guess what? It was just fine!

We pressed the brake pedal in 50x and the third brake light lit up every single time without a hiccup!

So, heads up...make sure you test your brake switch to make sure that it really has gone bad. Maybe, the wire plug just needs to be re-seated.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
thanks for the update... now it is up on teh internetz for future reference / searches!

you going to return that for a refund? just make sure there's no signs of you installing that new part

·
Registered
1 Posts
By reading all of your post. I was able to fix the same problem I have with my 08 MDX. The dealership told me the light was dead. It was going to cause $199.00 for the light itself. Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007 MDX same problem. Bought the third light, searched the web and came here. I disconnected then reconnected the brake switch, and voila, it works perfect. Now, I will find out if the Acura dealership online will let me return the light kit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fixed third brake light without replacing any parts

2007 MDX

I suspected that the third LED brake light was not bad itself because those should last the life of the car and more.

I disassembled the rear spoiler, there are four bolts and and a couple of fasteners.
Not too bad.

Once I had the light removed I connected it directly to the battery by using some inline connectors.

Connecting directly to the battery will let you know if its the light itself or something else.

Mine worked connected directly to the battery so i used some dielectric grease on the couple of connections that I disassembled when removing it.

This fixed my problem.

I had some body work done on that area at one time so I suspect it may have been related to that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 3rd brake light went out over a year ago on my 2007 MDX. I have put off getting it fixed. Today I unplugged the wires from the brake light switch and plugged them back in which made my 3rd brake light work. The dealership was going to charge me $200 to fix it. I fixed it myself

·
Registered
1 Posts
September 4 2016 update from another 07 with a non working 3rd brake light not working: So glad I discovered this thread. Try this before buying the switch. Remove the dash cover to get to the switch, release the connector. Spray with contact cleaner and dry with canned compressed air. Voila, no cost fix! Thanks to all who have shared their knowledge. I really figured it was the LED fixture which looks like a challenge. Josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 MDX same problem. Bought the third light, searched the web and came here. I disconnected then reconnected the brake switch, and voila, it works perfect. Now, I will find out if the Acura dealership online will let me return the light kit.
Wanted to thank the person who started this thread. My wife's 09 MDX brake lights were not working. Called Acura, charge was $249 for repair. Searched this issue and vualaaa....$7.89 fixed the problem by replacing the Brake Light Switch. Simple unplug and plug in new one and all is working fine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts