Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Love my MDX! I love it more now! All comments welcome. My installer did an immaculate job.

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - DIYMA.com
WOW!!!!!!!!! :eek: :29:

that's what i'm talkin' about!!!!!

amazing detail and setup....if possible could you please give me an idea of how much you paid for this sytem/upgrade? if you could break it up into parts/labor or one lump sump- it would be tremendously appreciated...

in addition to getting some new wheels this winter/spring, i wanna do an extensive audio system upgrade to my 2009 MDX!!!!! simply amazing!!!!!

~Priscilla :1:

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Looks great! Nice work!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Absolutely excellent work, and fine attention to detail. This is the kind of quality work that seems nearly impossible to find in the audio-installer industry.

Fantastic work, great components, even an excellent writeup. Thanks very much for sharing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments everyone. The hard work was worth it. It sounds so nice. Night and day from stock. My wife's commute just got alot better!

If anyone is interested in price I would be happy to talk about it over PM.

As far as making a sub box and selling it, you would have to ask Bing. I doubt he would though. He said it took him 5 days to make it! Never hurts to ask.

Home

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nice work. It's great that the installer documented with pictures all the work they did. It looks like a lot of labor, and $$$$$, went into the install. I just have one question. Does the speaker bump in the A pillar block visibility much? Were any accommodations made to get air circulation to the amps? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey just found this, thanks Chris for posting the link :)

to answer some questions:

1. yeah unfortunately i am not set up to do any kind of pre-fab enclosures..i work by myself one car at a time and is always going from car to car, plus with this, i would literally need the car with the stock subbox to accomplish the same thing again. :)

2. when i sat in the car, the only real thing the pillar pods blocked was a portion out the window of the hood, so it shouldnt limit visibility by any real amount.

3. the zapco DC reference are actively cooled and doesnt depend much on the top layer of the heatsink. they have an internal fan that push/pull air from the sides of the amp, and as you can see,the sides of the amp rack is open and can circulate air from the space on either side below the main floor pan. for this install, i also had Zapco customize the amps to fit an additional fan in each to aid in air circulation :)

the car is also now car audio and electronics: :)
http://caraudiomag.com/articles/acura-mdx-oe-upgrade

also, wanna thank this forum, while i was working on it, i frequented this forum to glean good info and tutorials from you guys.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Cdub,
You brought my dream design to reality. I was having a hard time telling local shop of what I wanted but now I'll have picture to show them exactly what I am looking for.

Did you do all this by yourself? If a stereo shop done this for now then..
How much did it cost you for a local shop to do the same thing minus the front pillar speaker.

Thank you.

Love my MDX! I love it more now! All comments welcome. My installer did an immaculate job.

Audible Physics / Zapco Install in an 08 Acura MDX - DIYMA.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
M500,

The install was completed by "Simplicitysound"

Check post #9. He is my installer.

Chris

·
Registered
33 Posts
I emailed Bing to see if I wanted to take on a similar setup without the custom molded a-pillars and sub. This might help someone in the future if they have questions so I'll post our email conversation.

hey Kevin,

1. i used speaker level outputs from the stock amp output, the stock main amp also outputs a line level signal to the sub amp, whether or not this is balanced i am not sure, but most acura signals even when balanced, are at such a low voltage it hardly matters. the cl441 can accept either input as is...the problem isnt there, the problem is that hte cl441 cant read a non-full range signal, as it is the case on the sub channel. so i basically plugged in the front channel inputs into BOTH sets of inputs on the 441, let it equalize, and switched the rear back on the side. this was suggsted to me by JL...i can compensate for voltage difference with the line drivers i have in the system, whcih is on the sub channel and specifically used to up the voltage before it reaches the amps...as the sub woofer channel will be much lower in voltage. in the end, as i measured it, it seems the voltage the amp saw was pretty similar for front channel and sub. :)

btw, i did this mainly because i wanted to retain stock subwoofer volume control on the OEM headunit, and that the zapco dc reference amps dont have a built in bass knob. if you dont care about this, you can tap direct balanced line level before the headunit, you will loose volume function on the stock deck, but you can use a MVC or 441 type of device to give you master volume.

2. 14 gauge was run into both doors. on that mdx, the driver side door has a molex plug. which when you disconnect it is divided into an upper and a loewer half, in other words, two male prongs plug into a big female prong..all the oem wires ran through the upper one, so the lower one is completely empty, so you drill that plug, on both sides, and pass the wires through. thats standard procedure when dealing with molex. on the passenger side, much to my surprise, there was no molex plug, just a normal rubber boot (as you see in most cars) to fish a wire through. :)

hope this helps.

b

To: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thu, February 24, 2011 9:24:56 PM
Subject: MDX question

Hi Bing,

I PM'd Chris regarding your MDX build and he suggested I ask you them.

1. You used line level from the main amp for the subwoofer input signal. From those pictures, it looks like the sub connector is not your standard rca jacks. So how did you connect your amps with the CL441DSP using the main acura amp and line level out? I can't figure out how you used the clean sweep with 1 balanced input source and 1 unbalanced input source to feed the amps.

2. For your front door speakers, did you use the OEM wiring for the speaker wire? And if not, how did you run it through the door? Can you expand on "the driver side door featured a Molex plug connection with a totally empty plug for me to drill and pass wires thru, while the passenger side was a simple plug in rubber boot"?
Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gorgeous! Very nice & clean looking. Truly professional install. Worth being proud of.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks great!!! Gives me some ideas for the install I'm having done real soon!!!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Very impressive. Good pics and writeup on that site. :) :29:

For me, I'm very happy with the audio in my 2008 MDX. I spend countless hours tuning it as well. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts