Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is an issue that is driving me crazy. i hit the gas lightly to accelerate and the engine sputters big time.
If I hit the gas hard I get no hesitation.

Is this a MAF or timing or fuel pump issue? Spark plug?
Knock sensor perhaps?

Thanks

Edit: I saw that a few people took their MDX to Acura for a software update that solves an issue with the tranny. Will this solve the above hesitation problem?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can eliminate the knock sensor as its job is to advise of a problem but has no direct control over fuel flow. Then your other 3 choices of air, fuel or timing/ignition come into play.

I have been fooling around with the Honda HDS (Chinese eBay knockoff) and various other code readers and have found that looking at LT Fuel Trim and ST Fuel Trim will answer most of these questions on fuel flow.

If you have somewhere in the realm of 80,000 miles and have not cleaned the throttle body, I would at least try that simple fix first. Many youtube videos exist on how to accomplish the job. The throttle valve gets a carbon build up and causes slight hesitation on acceleration.

Modern OEM spark plugs will last the life of the engine or at least a 150,000 miles based upon my own personal experience.

The Air Flow sensor can be successfully cleaned on this generation of the MDX. A $5 can of special cleaner is available everywhere.

Unfortunately reading fuel pressure on our generation requires an external fuel pressure gauge connection but that would be the next step.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here's an update...

I took my MDX to Acura and they suggested new spark plugs and three coils they thought were bad.
Needless to say, this fixed my problem and also gave me better gas mileage.
Apperantly the spark plugs were never replaced since new. It has 160,000km on it now.
If you have similar issues, and have not replaced your spark plugs yet, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
So here's an update...

I took my MDX to Acura and they suggested new spark plugs and three coils they thought were bad.
Apperantly the spark plugs were never replaced since new. It has 160,000km on it now.
If you have similar issues, and have not replaced your spark plugs yet, I highly recommend it.
If your spark plugs were not replaced by 160,000KM it's very likely the timing belt and coolant has not been changed either! These need to be done in canada at around the 100,000KM Mark (servere service) to 160,000KM (normal service interval).

For USA folks it's 105,000 miles regular duty or 60,000 miles of heavy duty driving.

You can buy the kit online for the timing belt and water pump and pay about $400 in labor, total cost should be under 1K USD.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Oh, man, pretty sure you just need to replace 6 plugs ... dealership always suck.

So here's an update...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, got the timing belt replaced in Febuary, along with front brakes, brake fluids, and so on.

Dealers suck, I agree! But now the MDX drives nicely so it was ok. Lessons learnt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts