Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone every delt with this issue? Looked around and didn't really find anything. Car makes a weird metallic rattle when accelerating that last for maybe 1-2 seconds, you don't always hear it but most times when stepping on the gas you can hear it. All my heat shields seem to be tight. I even replaced my flex pipe thinking that was the issue. I tried recording this noise when I drove the vehicle but my phone didn't really pick it up well. I replicated this sound when I'm tapping on the flex pipe (newly installed). You can hear a metallic hum. Here's a quick video - the noise is clearest at 11-12 sec.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
IIRC there was a TSB for the intermediate shaft Heat Shield causing rattle?

·
Registered
22 Posts
In my 08 MDX the heat shield around the cat was rattling pretty bad. I just bought a large adjustable screw clamp from Home Depot, wrapped it tight around the cat, and it never rattled again.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
You could be hearing engine pinging. It sound like metal to metal rattling. Does it go away after driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You could be hearing engine pinging. It sound like metal to metal rattling. Does it go away after driving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No it doesn't go away. I find that if I floor the accelerator I can't hear it. but if I gradually step on the gas lightly - it rattles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my 08 MDX the heat shield around the cat was rattling pretty bad. I just bought a large adjustable screw clamp from Home Depot, wrapped it tight around the cat, and it never rattled again.
thanks, double checked my cat shield, but it's in good shape and tight.

·
Registered
229 Posts
there is a heat shield around the ex manifold on the front of the motor thats kinda hard to see, get under the car and look up near the front of the motor and you will see it, put a large hose clamp around it and your noise will go away

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a heat shield around the ex manifold on the front of the motor thats kinda hard to see, get under the car and look up near the front of the motor and you will see it, put a large hose clamp around it and your noise will go away
Haven't checked that but will def do it. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't checked that but will def do it. Thank you.
I have an 07 and had the metallic rattle that was the equivalent of fingers-on-chalkboard on acceleration. Mechanic finally chased it down and put a large hose clamp around the exhaust manifold catalytic converter heat shield and saved my sanity. Don't think he even charged me. That was a few years back. I just had that catalytic converter fail and it, and the two sensors cost a sizable chunk to replace - it's a bear to get at. The hose clamp was still in good shape though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the replies, I finally got it solved thanks to Houg above to pointing it out. Turns out it's the heat shield above the Y Pipe behind the radiator fan. You have to take off the front splash guard to get to but it's a pita.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts