Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my MDX in for an oil change, later that day I noticed oil on my drive way, called the dealer booked an appointment, took the MDX in, they discovered the following...

1-The oil pan screw was defective so they changed it for free.
2-The told me that the oil pump is leaking
3-They also told me the rear main seal was also leaking.

Before the oil change, there was no sign of oil ever leaking. So whats up with that?

They quoted me $2,300 Canadian just to replace the oil pump.

Is this right?

:surprise:

·
Registered
962 Posts
Retired Honda/Acura tech here.

My suggestions. Find a reputable local independent shop that has the ability to find oil leaks with special dye and ultraviolet light. Have them completely clean any areas on the bottom of the motor that currently have any oil on them. Using "Brake Cleaner" is about the most effective. They then add the dye to your oil. You drive the car for about 30 minutes, then have them scan for any leaks. Ask them to let you see if they find anything. If only a very small leak is detected at that time, make note or photograph it. Drive a few hours and have a second scan. At that point you should be able to determine if it is a minor or major leak.

FYI: A small leak at the rear main seal is no problem. There are no components in the area that will be damaged by oil. A large leak there can get oil on the exhaust and possibly start a fire.

Oil leaking from the pump can get on the timing belt, and eventually it may fail. In most cases, the front seal on the pump would be the place where it leaks. That is a cheap part ($9) and about 4-5 hours labor.

·
Registered
131 Posts
An oil change is a very simple service where lots of damage can be done. If you are 100% sure there was never oil on your drive way until after the service some thing is wrong. Drain plug leaking, I get. Rear main and oil pump leaking after oil change. Maybe the ace mechanic double filled the engine with oil. Ran it and it blew out the seals. Don't think it happens, well it does, I have seen it.

However before you go in guns blazing, make sure you have all your facts straight. Also, consider your history with the dealership and their credibility. If they have always been straight with you, try to give them the benefit of the doubt. I also agree with the above. Take it to another shop and get a straight answer on where it's leaking from.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with both of you and thanks for your suggestions.
Will take it to a local reputable mechanic to check 100%.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keep us updated please. As a fellow Canadian and also fellow 08 owner I am keenly interested in the outcome. $2300 cdn. Yikes. Hopefully the indie shop can determine the cause

Was the oil change done at the dealership or third party, and you only used the dealer to diagnose?

·
Registered
354 Posts
I tend to believe the real seal failure is a problem to many units. My 08 also developed this leak in the real oil seal. I was lucky that it happened during the warranty period around 50K miles. The dealer had to replace it twice because the one they initially replaced failed few months later and was still under warranty with less than 70K miles. The dealer also replaced the torque converter seals the second time. My 08 has been clean since then in the last 60K miles. I remember that when it happened to me the first time, I found people complaining about this seal failure in many Acura forums.

I have not had this failure in my other cars with over 200K miles. Quality or just lucky? I do not know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
PRGonzalez, how did you find out about this leak? Does it leak on your driveway? I googled a photo and i cant tell where it is on the car. Would it also leak if your MID oil life drops fast? Just trying to get a sense of what to look for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
962 Posts
Here is the Redneck Engineering cure......

When I got a small leak on my '05 in hot weather, I went to a thicker oil (10W30) for summer use only and it cut the leakage down to almost nothing.

·
Registered
286 Posts

When I got a small leak on my '05 in hot weather, I went to a thicker oil (10W30) for summer use only and it cut the leakage down to almost nothing.

I am talking from a position of mechanical ignorance here so if this sounds stupid it is me

Years ago i had power steering leaks on my old sentra and i used this product called Lucas stop leak. It was this gummy red molassss like liquid substance. Seemed to have worked. Is there an oil equivalent to that, that would self seal leaks?

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
PRGonzalez, how did you find out about this leak? Does it leak on your driveway? I googled a photo and i cant tell where it is on the car. Would it also leak if your MID oil life drops fast? Just trying to get a sense of what to look for
The car was leaving a small pond of oil on the garage. Maybe 10 to 15 cm diameter over the weekend. It was really a bad leak. Initially, I cleaned the garage, then I got the oil pond over the weekend. Looking underneath the car, the plastic splash shield under the transmission was very wet too. I never got the low oil alarm because I found it on time. I epoxied the floor of my garage, so it is easy to clean up and spot any leaks.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks Bluepill. So if i just got it and Acura looked it over and an oil change was done...if there was a rear seal oil leak they would have spotted it no? Or does it require specific looking into a particular area?

Impossible to know. It is possible that the tech who did the original oil change just did not bother to look or report the leak, and the next tech looked harder because you had complained about the leak. No point of guessing, just start with a fresh diagnosis.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Impossible to know. It is possible that the tech who did the original oil change just did not bother to look or report the leak, and the next tech looked harder because you had complained about the leak. No point of guessing, just start with a fresh diagnosis.

I dont see any leak. Was just curious since i have an 08

·
Registered
3,338 Posts

Awwwww man that is Ghetto ASF.

·
Registered
8 Posts
check online if there's any complaints about that dealer if it is an Acura dealer that is very bad if it is other shops be careful cbs canada a few years ago trapped cars to caught bad shops please let us know wich dealer or shop you went

a few years ago i had a problem with an acura dealer after changing my transmission oil and replace the alternator, mechanic forgot to teight drain plug and busted threads of the motor block lower bolt of alternator and dealer tried to save mechanic telling me that i took my 2002 acura to another shop after the service
and they ended u replacing my tranny and doing an helicol on block for free

·
Registered
354 Posts
Well ... what I found today ... the rear oil seal is starting to leak again. I see a small drop of oil forming in the engine/transmission joint and the area is wet. No oil drops in the garage floor yet. I guess I need to start preparing for this. First, debating between do it myself or pay the local dealer to do it for me. The only thing I have about this car is this rear oil seal problem. This would be the third seal failing in a total of 124K miles. That is one seal failure every 31K miles average. The first two done under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
if I was you I was contacting Acura directly and talk with them tell them this is 3 seal and is leaking again see what they would do that is not normal tell them your car story

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well ... what I found today ... the rear oil seal is starting to leak again. I see a small drop of oil forming in the engine/transmission joint and the area is wet. No oil drops in the garage floor yet. I guess I need to start preparing for this. First, debating between do it myself or pay the local dealer to do it for me. The only thing I have about this car is this rear oil seal problem. This would be the third seal failing in a total of 124K miles. That is one seal failure every 31K miles average. The first two done under warranty.
IMO, unless its is actively leaking and leaving a puddle or covering the exhaust with oil, leave it alone. The chance of getting something screwed up during the transmission removal/replacement is also there. Doing it without the factory transmission jack adapter is brutal.

The easiest way to do a successful DIY repair is to drop the complete motor & trans. You really need a lift to do that.

This is me doing an engine swap on my 2005 (Thanks to my wife)........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts