Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My turn signal and hazard lights started making a buzzing sound and working erratically so I decided to change the relay. I have remove the plastic panels right by the fuse box on the driver side. But I cannot find the way to remove the damn relay. I have somehow pushed the clips holder out so I can pull the relay but I haven't been able to retrieve the relay. I don't want to break anything.

Does anyone knows what is the trick to remove the relay.

BTW, I didn't disconnected the battery while trying to accomplish this.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
There is small clip holding relay in place, when i had to remove it, i broke it. It needs a lot of force, just keep trying :) it took me like 15min and I was swearing and cursing LOL
It is stuck really good down there...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is small clip holding relay in place, when i had to remove it, i broke it. It needs a lot of force, just keep trying :) it took me like 15min and I was swearing and cursing LOL
It is stuck really good down there...
Thanks for the reply. I am going to try that. However, the technicians probably use another method, like removing the fuse panel or a relay removing tool. There might as well be no other method. Just me speculating

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was finally able to remove the relay. Here are some tips I found useful:
- Depress the Parking Brake all the way down
- Remove the fuse box door, the black panel that covers the wiring under the wheel. Only need to turn the black knob on the right 90 degrees and pull. Be careful with two cables attached to the panel. You can be unplug them after detaching the panel.
- Remove the panel that hold the fuse box door, right where the hood release handle is located.
- Locate the relay. It's a rectangular gray box about 2x1 inches
- Detach the cables that cover the relay. One of them was to hard to detach so I just moved it to the side.
- Using a small flat head screw driver to move the clip out of the way with one hand while you pull the relay tilting side to side and up and down.

The tilting up down was what did the trick. I tried to remove all the panel I could so I can have room to move my hands. It take some persistence but I didn't have to pay anyone who might charge me $50+ only for labor to replay this relay. I hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
On a related note, here's a video discussing changing the SIDE MIRROR turn signal LED on a 2nd gen. Acura MDX:

HOW TO REPLACE ACURA HONDA MIRROR LED TURN SIGNAL TUTORIAL

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was finally able to remove the relay. Here are some tips I found useful:
  • Depress the Parking Brake all the way down
  • Remove the fuse box door, the black panel that covers the wiring under the wheel. Only need to turn the black knob on the right 90 degrees and pull. Be careful with two cables attached to the panel. You can be unplug them after detaching the panel.
  • Remove the panel that hold the fuse box door, right where the hood release handle is located.
  • Locate the relay. It's a rectangular gray box about 2x1 inches
  • Detach the cables that cover the relay. One of them was to hard to detach so I just moved it to the side.
  • Using a small flat head screw driver to move the clip out of the way with one hand while you pull the relay tilting side to side and up and down.

The tilting up down was what did the trick. I tried to remove all the panel I could so I can have room to move my hands. It take some persistence but I didn't have to pay anyone who might charge me $50+ only for labor to replay this relay. I hope it helps.
I tried several times and day to take it out with bare hands. but finally I used a curved range and it took 30 seconds...so easy. I would suggest a curved plier or range and take it out easily..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts