Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

2008 MDX A/C blowing warm air. Compressor is working from what I can tell

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  akshaythakor 
#1 ·
I've been going through a bunch of the posts here and some diagnosis but unable to definitely determine the issue.

I can hear the compressor kick on but changed out the relay anyways

Ran the self diagnostic by holding the off button and pressing the recirculation button 5 times. The blower motor ran hi and then low and then blank screen. No 88 Auto Windshild defrost message on screen so should be good there.

I also have a Foxwell NT520 Pro OBDII scanner and passed all tests

I did some testing for the air mix motors by moving the temp to the highest setting and checking vents. All vents were putting out heat. Then I moved the temp to the lowest setting and all vents blow warm air. Last week, the rear was blowing somewhat cold air compared to the front of the car but today, it is warm air.

I noticed that there is no water puddle on the ground when running the A/C. I checked inside the passenger cabin side and it's not wet on the floor.

A friend of mine that does home HVAC thinks it could be the A/C expansion valve but I don't have the proper equipment to recover freon before removing the expansion valve. I was thinking of going to a shop, have them check/charge my a/c or if needed, remove the freon from the car so that I can check the A/C expansion valve but before I go through all that trouble, I was hoping to see if someone has some other ideas.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
rent a set of gauges from autozone and see how much refigerant is in the system and if pressure is changing from hi side to low side

#4 ·
Thanks. I was thinking of doing that next or even just buying a gauge set

#6 ·
Personally I wouldn't bother with a set of gauges. You won't learn enough to be worthwhile. Since you don't see a leak take it for a recharge. Modern auto AC systems are sensitive to the correct amount of refrigerant in the system and unless you remove what is in there and recharge with the correct amount you are just guessing, even with gauges. My Odyssey recently was blowing warm so I took it to the shop and they discovered the schrader valve leaking. Was 1 lb low so tightened the valve, charged, and back to like new $90 later. How much will a set of gauges and a can refrigerant cost you to guess vs getting it right?

#7 ·
gauges are free to rent at autozone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.