Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Air mix motor, the one that controls temperature, not mode (vent or floor) has failed. I had the center console out once before, but I do not remember just how far back under the plastic - past the carpet cover - this motor is located. Does anyone have a photograph of the side of the console with the carpet and plastic off so I can judge how deep I need to go / how creative I need to be?

I wanted to contribute here, so attached is the center console disassembly process. With help from Tim, who got me the screen shots, I have cropped, organized, and made a pdf of the whole process here for anyone who needs it. Also attached is the HVAC troubleshooting guide with all the details on how and what.

Appreciate any help. The motor arrived today and I need to get this fixed. No good having hot air in the back in Texas summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to update this for reference. If you need to replace the blend or mix motors, you do not necessarily need to spend a day disassembling the entire center console. I replaced the blend motor in about an hour start to finish this saturday. Here's the process:

1. Remove drivers seat as per the instructions in the "Center Console Removal Instructions Detailed.pdf" file in my first post.
2. Remove the carpeted cover from the side of the console, drivers side only.
3. Remove the rear vent portion of the console. You only need to open the two glove box doors, grab it at the top, and pull straight towards the rear of the car. Disconnect the wiring and set it to the side.
4. From the side of the console, remove 1 philips screw and 1 10mm bolt that hold the plastic side plate to the console.
5. Pull the side piece out and pop it out of the pinch between the center console halves at the 10mm bolt location. Be gentle and careful, but so long as the temperature is warm, the panel bends easily.
6. Once you have the rear free of the metal braces on the console, work the bottom lip of the plastic side panel out (bend it) away from the console frame. There is one retainer clip on the side (hidden from view) that you will have to pop loose. Once you start to pull the console plastic side back, you can reach behind and feel it. The console bottom will try and hang up on the carpet and various wiring harnesses, but be patient and it will come free, and you can spread it away from the base of the console enough to easily work in there with a stubby philips screwdriver, remove the four screws and connector, and the motor is out.

Reassembly is really just the reverse, and no harder. Be careful and gentle with the plastic and I think you will be fine. I would be more cautious in very cold weather, but it was about 80 degrees when I did mine and had no issue at all.

Reactions: serpent2005

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hi Morrie, I am considering doing this work for my 07 MDX. Based on your write-up it doesn't seem too bad. Do you know the part number for the Air Mix Motor at this location? I've already replaced the the Air Mix Motors in the front and passenger locations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: serpent2005

·
Registered
54 Posts
I completed this job today in about 2 hours -- I took my time and did not rush as this is my first time doing this. I can probably do it again in about 30 minutes now that I'm familiar with the process. Don't forget to grease the part that comes into contact with the arm. The dealer near me charges $438 in labor for this job.

Here is the part for a 2007 Acura MDX: https://www.oemacuraparts.com/oem-parts/acura-motor-assembly-air-mix-79260stxa01

:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for making this post. I'm going to attempt to work on my center console air mix motor soon on my 2007.

Do either of you know if replacing it is completely necessary? Do you think a cleaning and greasing of the original motor would do the trick?

Thank you

·
Registered
28 Posts
Great write up - thanks for this. Can those that have done this job confirm their symptoms? My 2007 will only blow HOT air out of the rear climate control no matter what settings you choose. Other than that, the fan speed and blower selection seem to work fine....just all HOT. $80 seems like a great route to take. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for making this post. I'm going to attempt to work on my center console air mix motor soon on my 2007.

Do either of you know if replacing it is completely necessary? Do you think a cleaning and greasing of the original motor would do the trick?

Thank you
There is a thread here about repairing a broken air mix motor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great write up - thanks for this. Can those that have done this job confirm their symptoms? My 2007 will only blow HOT air out of the rear climate control no matter what settings you choose. Other than that, the fan speed and blower selection seem to work fine....just all HOT. $80 seems like a great route to take. :)
In my case it was blowing only cold air regardless of my temperature setting, but it is indicative of the same problem -- an air mix motor that is malfunctioning such that it is not able to mix hot and cold air to produce the desired temperature. I was able to hear a lot of creaking noises coming from the area of the mix motor before I fixed it. The same for the air mix motors in the driver and passenger side. Those noises are completely gone now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you. While I don't hear any noises whatsoever, it sounds like this is my problem and I'll tackle it! Thanks!

In my case it was blowing only cold air regardless of my temperature setting, but it is indicative of the same problem -- an air mix motor that is malfunctioning such that it is not able to mix hot and cold air to produce the desired temperature. I was able to hear a lot of creaking noises coming from the area of the mix motor before I fixed it. The same for the air mix motors in the driver and passenger side. Those noises are completely gone now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Finally pulled it apart today. Hitting 100 in Utah, need the rear AC. Seat came out way easier than expected. Tried to clean my old mix motor and it's toast.

Any thoughts on if 79260-STX-A01 = 79260-SZA-305? I think the first is Honda part, but it's the only one I can get here fast via Prime. Can't find the Acura part number anywhere including local. Rather than keep the car in pieces all week....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Scott,
The electronics in your climate control system knows what part number it is talking to. I was fiddling with mine and tried plugging in another module in that location and the dash display wouldn't even turn on, just errored out. Its up to you if you want to give it a try, but I would hesitate were it me...

Morrie

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wahoo! Problem solved. I did end up ordering the Honda part from Amazon prime. So if anyone in the future is wondering; it works fine. Now that the part is replaced I wanted to add something that might help for troubleshooting. In my case I only ever got hot air. What I realized now is this part closes the top vents when heat is called for and only blows from the floor vent, where cold AC air comes from the top vents. So, hot air coming from the top vents is a dead giveaway that this part is not moving like it should.

When I opened my old one in hopes of cleaning it and fixing it, it was dry and refused to work properly even in my hands.

Very happy to have AC again....well the kids are at least. Thanks to those that posted the info.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Hi guys, can you please give me a big picture? How many such mix motors there are in the car? And what are their locatios? I guess there are 3 and the one you worked on is for the 2nd and 3rd row? Seems like this is the only one tends to fail? Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
^ They all tend to fail since they all move when you select different temperatures, remember that the air temperature is controlled by carefully mixing the amount of air that passes through the evaporator and heat exchanger so the air mix motor sees a lot of action through time.

I personally had 2 fail already.. The driver side and the 3rd row.. While I fixed the driver side by cleaning the contacts and re-greasing (Been working fine ever since) the 3rd row is such a PITA to get to that I recommend replacing it instead..

Locations:
-Driver side air mix motor is behind the air temperature sensor behind the wheel steering trim. (EASIEST TO REPLACE)

-Passenger side air mix motor is inside the glove box area just above the air filter element box. (HARD TO REPLACE)

-3rd zone air mix motor is besides the driver seat (You have to remove it in order to replace this motor). (PITA TO REPLACE)

·
Registered
28 Posts
For what it's worth, I went ~200k miles before any of mine started acting up. I never had any clicking, and the 3rd row is the only one to be replaced or serviced at this point. It was easy to simply disable 3rd row in summer and use the heat in winter. But Once we start hitting triple digits, it was needed for cooling. :) While you are in doing the rear motor, you should consider the heated seats light bulbs....(must get from Acura, Honda doesn't carry the blue tint that ours has)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts