Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just purchased a 2008 Acura MDX and have been having lots of electrical issues.

Thanks so this forum, I have learned that both drivers not retaining seat/mirror/steering wheel etc positions is due to a faulty passenger side mirror actuator.

On the second morning after I purchased it, I was playing with the radio and trying to learn the functions of things. I may have had my key in the Number 2 position, and there wasn't enough power to start the car. Everything flashed rapidly on the dash when I turned the key. I had to jump start the car.
I have also learned that there maybe a battery drain due to a malfunctioning Hands Free Link Module.

Now to the really disconcerting issues.

Over the past 10 days, although this is intermittent, the Tailgate Open warning keeps flashing on the MID and the interior lights come on and flash. The hazard lights also keep flashing during this time. The audible warning chime is also sounding. The tailgate of course is securely closed. This can also happen when parked.

Now another intermittent issue is occurring. While driving, when the tailgate warning light comes on, the headlights flash.There are no high beam lights and the turn signals do not work. Outside temperature indicator on the MID also does not work during this issue.

I read here about perhaps the wiring harness on the tailgate is letting water into the rear fuse box because we've had a lot of rain here recently. I can't seem to see a problem there though.
I noticed this wired into the rear fuse box. It must be aftermarket. Anyone know what this is?
Or could help with these electrical issues?

Thanks so much.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
That looks like a brake control for a trailer? do you have a hitch installed?
Your issues sound like a faulty CANBUS Controller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

No hitch. I thought maybe the L and R were something for balance like on speakers?

CanBus controller? Um, I better google that.
Any idea how hard that is too install, where it's located and the cost of the part?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Back in early 00s car manufacturers found a way to use the same cables for different things, this saved a lot of room and weight by using less cabling for the car.. The signals had to be digitized in order to be read by a small ECU to order stuff to work, So your low beam lights are also tied to the Alarm System and so on.. This is all controlled by the CANBUS Controller (ALSO KNOWN AS MULTIPLEX) and that is why everything feels like its haunted (Ceiling lights, hazards, etc they are all interconnected by the alarm system)..

If the CANBUS Controller goes havoc it might prompt a lot of stuff to turn on when not needed but still being used by the same wiring.
Location might vary as there are different Controllers for different harnesses.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow good information. Thank you.
Tried googling the CanBus/Multiplex issue, and you'd think someone would have the same issue for an MDX, but none that I can find.
Just my luck.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Yeah its not really common for it to fail.. Perhaps your first instinct was right and that added stuff in the rear fuse box is causing a malfunction, I would take it to a shop to remove it just in case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The boots look tight. I don't see any moisture inside the rear fuse box.
It's at the Acura dealership today.
They said it threw 3 pages of codes and are working to find the problem now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, everybody here was bang on.
All in all, it threw 64 codes.

It was water getting into the fuse box.
It was the passenger side mirror actuator.
It was the HFL module. In Canada, that's $800 for the part!
That thing in the pics above is an audible backup sensor installed incorrectly by the previous owner.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input and I hope this helps other MDX owners.

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
656 Posts
Tiki,

Do you know how or where the water was coming into the fuse box?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Alabama stujenn

Check the plastic flash plate connectors that are on the rear fuse box side with the tailgate up. The factory sticky tape fails and allows 3 leak points for water. Foam gets wet and drips onto fuse box, causing your problems. Replace or silicone those attach points for the plastic flashing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im reading this and am having the same exact problem with the tailgate open and now my blinkers are not working and my windshield wipers only work on high .ive had the car for 5 years now and it just started doing this 2008 acura mdx how much was everything at the dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.