Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

About a month ago, the tailgate mechanism (non-power tailgate) on my 2007 MDX Sport stopped opening when I pressed the tailgate latch button outside. I identified a single broken wire in the tailgate access panel, pushed it back in, and life was good, everything worked. Fast forward a couple of weeks, and my son was trying to get the gate open to put his hockey gear in, but once again it wouldn't work. I went to re-access the panel to correct the wire, and noticed both wires going into the tailgate actuator were now disconnected from the plug. I replaced them, and re-tested, but this time rather than unlocking, I noticed the main door locks weren't working, whether by key fob or by the internal power locks. Perhaps the wires crossed, or the lack of a connection is part of my lock issue? After checking fuses to see if one had blown while the wires were flopping around disconnected (I didn't locate any that were blown yet) I realized that I can hear a faint clicking coming from the fuse box area on the driver's side when I click the fob or the power lock button on the doors (any door). In my (limited) experience with car electronics, clicking generally equates with a relay.

So, here's where I'm at -- The wires in the tailgate to the latch mechanism are not connected, currently taped off individually. I've not gotten codes read yet, it's on the list to do this weekend. My family isn't happy about not having a working tailgate, considering this is the hockey-mobile and it's playoff time, so gear is going in and out multiple times a day some days.

I'm assuming I have a 2 part job here -- get the tailgate area harness replaced (as temporarily re-seating the wires in the connector just isn't durable enough for hockey playing kids) and then troubleshoot the culprit in the non-functioning locks/clicking issue.

Could you offer suggestions on how to troubleshoot/correct this issue?

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can check the driver's door harness to see if any wires broke from the plug. I am currently locked out of my hatch and the passengers side power lock/windows/mirror/sunroof are all dead. Although my key fob works to unlock all the doors except the hatch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts