Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a 2007 Sport with the Rear Entertainment package. The miles are low, 75k, but I'm worried that with the tech being 10 years old, it will be more annoying than anything. Any opinions?

It does have all the maintenance records, and all maintenance was done at the dealer. The asking price is $15k, I know you guys get this a lot, but should I go for it?

Thanks for any input in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Eh, I don't think I'd be too worried about the tech. It's a good vehicle and you could add bluetooth at least. $15k doesn't get you much in the SUV world. Has the timing belt been changed? That's due at 7 years and will run you $700-$1,000.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
It indeed lacks the Nannie Goodies of today and some other commodities like Adaptive Cruise Control.. There is also no direct control over your Smartphone (If you don´t have the Acura iPod Connection add-on) so you are stuck with the good-old AUX Input.
GPS NAV was outdated back in the day so it feels even older today.

But there is also good Tech stuff:
1.- It has one of the best AWD Systems in the World even by Today standards.
2.- It has Torque Vectoring which makes it Handle Vastly Superior to a lot of Crossovers Today.
3.- Engine Output is STRONG even with the 5 Speed, You wont drag it of course but Highway Passing power is plentiful and you can get to that off-ramp with ease.

So it all depends on what your priorities are..
As a Drivers-Car the 2G MDX is an AMAZING Crossover with excellent handling and a reliable drivetrain.
If you are a Tech Guy the early 2G MDX 2007-2009 is not a good option, You should look at the +2010 that got a HUGE TECH UPDATE..

·
Registered
321 Posts
We have had a 2009 Tech since 13K miles (now at 104K). need to do the timing belt & will change out the shocks/struts to KYB pretty soon but overall a great car. The 2010-13 have a better HD Nav screen & the 7 speed transmission but the 5 speed actually felt zippier to me so the 1-2mpg loss with the 5 sp doesn't really bother me & I the 2010+ go t hit pretty bad with the chrome stick.
We really like ours & plan to keep it for probably another 100K as the 2014+ are worse in virtually every way but tech stuff. The only replacements I can fathom would be the new Mazda CX9s though I think the engine will feel underpowered, or a Q7 but, while a great car technologically, they look like tall, boring Jettas & cost the price of 2 CX9s (plus I am still too old to accept that Audi may actually make reasonably reliable cars these days). For crisp handling, sporty looks, peppy engine, excellent capacity & rock solid reliability it is hard to beat the 2nd Gen MDXs. (As an aside, while the Nav may be old school, it is far easier to use than nearly every other car I've driven. Plus it lacks the annoying lock outs).It should have had a proximity key & Bluetooth music streaming is annoyingly absent-plus you can't lock the doors until the tailgate closes but that's about it for annoyances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'm ok with the tech, as I came from an 2014 TL advance to an 07 MDX tech. The Navi looks the same in my opinion, is just slower because its DVD based. The reverse camera is decent but is kind of a lag when placing the X in reverse. You won't get doppler radar and the only thing I truly miss is bluetooth streaming of music. I many ways, I love the 07 MDX in many ways over my 2014 TL. I bought my MDX with 99k on it. I'm now at 133k. No issues other than the bluetooth battery kill issue. Other than that, I replaced the Timing belt/tensioner and water pump. PCV valve and spark plugs. I also replaced the struts and shocks. I burn my own DVD disc so the sound is very decent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. This has really helped. I am still a little bit on the fence. The forum is not letting me post pics or links because I don't have enough posts.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I would take it to check out the magnetic struts and shocks with Acura if possible. I think the 07 MDX sport is too old to fall under the 100,000 miles extended warranty. It could cost you around $700 per corner to fix out of pocket if they fail. Once you spend that kinda of cash, the magnetic suspension can fail again in a short time or never. My fronts went out at 35K and I've been A-OK with a little under 100k on the odo.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I will check them out. I don't know that I would let that be a deal breaker though. I know the ride is awesome with them, but I would be fine swapping out with KYB's.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Looks mint, Sooo what are your doubts? feels like you are ready to pull the trigger on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the infotainment system is terrible. The user interface is clunky and the graphics are rough. The maps are terrible and I wish the camera had the lines. I don't even bother with the GPS and use my phone whenever I need mapping. No bluetooth audio streaming and the bluetooth phone audio is unusable. I could handle the lack of bluetooth audio streaming if there was an actual 3.5mm aux jack in the center console. Instead we're left with RCA jacks that get destroyed by people climbing in and out of the back seat. I do like that the memory seats and radio station presets are tied to the key fobs. I wish that it had rain sensing wipers like my 07 BMW 3-series.

All in all, it's been a very reliable car and a good family hauler. Just don't expect a luxury vehicle. We can haul a ton of crap in it, but I don't find it the most comfortable on long drives. After about 4 hours I start getting uncomfortable. Maybe I just haven't found a seating position that works for me.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
^ Yeah I noticed this as well.. Is not like the seat padding is hard, its just the leather that its not pliable making it uncomfortable after long drives.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Our '09 Tech has a 3.5mm Aux input inside the center console (no power outlet though). For long trips, I have an old iPhone that is mounted on that little ledge just off my right knee & I use it for Pandora/Podcasts by hot spotting from my iPhone which I mount on a Panavise cell phone mount with a tablet magnet. I pull power from a dual USB in the cigarette lighter but have been thinking about getting behind that center console again & making no some hardwired power for each which could just poke out from the carpet/center console interface.

That's a clean looking car & if you can replace the sport shocks with KYBs if they fail, I wouldn't hesitate. Tech will always continue to both improve & outdate. Your phone will always be light years ahead.

BTW, I'm 5'10" & about 180# & I do 5 hour drives in it every month & don't find it very uncomfortable at all.

Like I said, we just talked about Q7s & CX9s tonight but can't beat the value & reliability of our MDX. We'll probably drive it another 100K & then buy one of them a year or two used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the awesome input guys. Sadly I was not able to talk my wife into a 10 year old car, she now want something new/newer. If I could, I would buy it for myself. If any one is looking for a screamin deal, that MDX is at Autonation Chevy in Gilbert AZ. The Carfax shows all service records at the Acura dealer, it was a lease buyout (probably by the leasee). I was going to drive 8 hours to pick it up.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I internet shopped and drove 5 1/2 hours from NM to CO to pick my MDX up at a Honda Dealership in 2014. My out of town 2011 MDX Adv+Ent with 29,000 miles was cheaper than a 2011 MDX Tech with 35,000 miles at the Acura Dealership in my home town.

You still have plenty of 07-09 MDXs and MMC 10-13 MDXs out there for years to come. You might see the 14-15 MDXs in fwd, sh-awd, tech or even Adv starting to come close in price to the 13 MDXs depending on mileage. Prices for used 2nd and 3rd Gen MDXs will really start to drop when the 4th Gen hits the road in 2019 or 2020.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just my humble opinion but I have a 2008 version of what you are looking at, and three kids, so I can provide a bit of feedback on this.

Rear entertainment is fine. Maybe it's because I haven't stepped into anything cutting edge, but within the last two weeks the kids and I and their friend went on several long roadtrips. Kids asked me to take my MDX over my other vehicle because of the rear entertainment. One may say, well, they use DVDs but so what? I have a bunch of them in the trunk and it at least gets them some use since I would not be watching them otherwise. Kids can manage the controls from the back pretty well. And I guess perspective and context is everything because I used to have an 04 MDX (which I decided to give to my Dad as a gift) and the 08 rear entertainment is far superior.

Regarding navigation - yes, it is a bit dated and the graphics look like something from a Sega Genesis system but it does its job and it even reads out street names which I like. The text is not sharp and the interface is a bit on the cheesy side, but for our family, we like it. As for the shocks, if and when they fail in a few years, I will move to conventional shocks for the duration of the vehicle's life. The shocks were just changed by Acura in March so should have a few years to enjoy them before they fail.

Condition of vehicle looks good but I think the price is a tad on the high side.

Oh - and by the way, with the car running, I can connect a PS3 to the rear entertainment and the kids play some games on it. The power plug in the console is handy for plugging in laptops, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts